S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My progress.
From memory.

The Config program will trigger many virus or malware scanners. So far a false positive but you will have to tell your scanner program to ignore the threat in its advanced settings.
To bind you must be in n the D16 mode and have matching tx and Rx firmwares loaded, not a programming Opentx issue.
The s6r will not work in a D8 mode.
As I remember and will verify, binding is done in the usual way as other X receivers. Failsafe can only be set from the tx menu option, not using the receivers f/s button.

The STK should load in the drivers in Windows. I use w7. With w10 trying various com ports selection may be required?

The stk switch and ports must be correct for FW flashing or Config pgm programming.
I find for flashing, I have the stk plugged into a USB port, but not connected to the s6r. I then start the flash pgm, load the FW I want to flash click the flash button and then plug the stk into the Sport. For me that always gets things going, the s6r is found, and the flash happens! I may do the same for the Config pgm as well.

The early beta STK has the SW movement restricted by the shrink wrap. Opening up the slot was required, check it anyway. My SW was intermittent and required some fast switching ( not powered) to burnish the internal contacts of what may have been flux? Solved all my stk port connection issues.

Failsafe set options and flying tests next. I'm doing a full bench test of all setting and options as compared to the latest manual and Config pgm before flying it. Bench test many times first, don't crash once is how I do it!
I mentioned this before but, if the Config pgm still says a green flashing led for calibration, it should read yellow. I need to try today's Config download to see if it's been updated to yellow.
Been so busy this all went on hold for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kalle123

Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by kalle123 »

ShowMaster wrote:The Config program will trigger many virus or malware scanners.
Good hint, ShowMaster.

Besides, that STK stick is not as simple as I assumed first. There is the CP2102 USB UART, but also a RS-232 transceiver and, I have been told, a STM32F1 !! That is really heavy stuff for a "simple" config and flash stick.

br KH
nobbyt

Post by nobbyt »

Paul
I have the latest LBT Firmware in both tx and rx.
are you shorting say 1-2 or just holding the little pin down when applying power.
I am on D16 with 1-16 selected.
As i said when powering up green on,then when bind button pressed red flashes. green remains solid. Power OFF. Reconect. Red only flashing No green
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

nobbyt wrote:Paul
I have the latest LBT Firmware in both tx and rx.
are you shorting say 1-2 or just holding the little pin down when applying power.
I am on D16 with 1-16 selected.
As i said when powering up green on,then when bind button pressed red flashes. green remains solid. Power OFF. Reconect. Red only flashing No green
To me, it is not clear, what you are talking about.

tx and rx??

shorting 1-2??

little pin??
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Some more findings and tips.
If connecting the receiver to your computer when it's actually installed in your plane with servos connected, I find that the current draw may be more than your computers 5v USB buss can deliver. In fact doing a bench test and programming with 4 servos connected, it crashed my computer due to what I'm assuming is too much current demand? I repeated it several times and it was always the same. My workaround was to push the stk red wire out of the 3 pin servo type Sport connection. This removes the ability for the stk to power the s6r. I then use a esc's bec or a 4 cell nimh pack to power the receiver. Then connect the stk as usual but without the red + wire connected. All works well and in my opinion, great for field Config programming in a pre installed s6r.

I'm considering adding a SW in line with the red stk wire so that I can program with or without using the usb's 5 volt power.

Just power up the aircraft as normal, but probably with the prop(s) removed for safety.

Next is failsafe setting. I think this needs its own thread if we're talking non stk functions but for now, here's some more info I tested.

The F/S button on the s6r is only for implementing the self check mode, never failsafe as in other Frsky receivers.

This self check can also be initiated using a SW assigned c12 to start self activation check. I must warn us all to maybe NOT assign a SW to this function, or if we do, make it a 2 step setup to activate it! Triggering it in flight or when not expecting it in the pit, will cause loss of control until it's finished self checking (blue led on checking, off finished)!

My failsafe setting tests came out like this. Feel free to check it and report back. It's all about sharing known facts.

I found that when in the s6r stabilizer mode, two failsafe setting options. Both can only be set from the transmitter. The Taranis not running Opentx 2.2 and s lua script, can only set the s6r stabilizer or receiver only mode with the Windows program. The Taranis I believe with 2.2fw won't need a computer.
The same for the Horus versions and the new 12s. I don't have these to try but I'm sure they all will.

Ok, the 2 failsafe modes that worked for me on my Taranis (2.1fw) are no pulses or custom pulses. The "receiver" option did nothing for me!

You set these options and then do a normal bind at receiver power up.

What I did find that when in the stabilizer mode, only the throttle channel failsafe setting was remembered. With loss of tx(powered off) the throttle would indeed have no pulse input and in the custom mode, it would go to my pre programmed in the tx menu position. In my case, low throttle. The other channels were still under the self leveling control of the stabilizer and did not go to my presets.

I have to try one more option, setting
the stabilizer SW to off at failsafe, missed that option I just realized.

When flashed to be a normal 6 ch receiver, non stabilized, I couldn't find any way to set any failsafe positions, even throttle?

These tests I'll run again but I'm hoping others will verify my findings and report back. Safety in numbers!

I know the FW is a work in progress and as subject to updates.

I've yet to fly my s6r as I'm taking time to learn what it can and can't do in the bench. I'd rather crash my bench than my plane. Patience has its advantages.

darthrye

Post by darthrye »

pslewis wrote:What drivers are people using for the STK adapter in windows?
Mine is using Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge V6.7.3.0 (COM 13)
but when I try it in the config tool, I can only see (COM13) if I plug in the STK after running the config tool and then I get the error:
This serial port is not found or occupied or state change failed!

S!
Same here, STK just received, working as expected when updating S6R firmw, but can't open S6R in configuration, same error as u.
Did you find a way to solve it

P.D.
W7 running as admin
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

darthrye wrote:
pslewis wrote:What drivers are people using for the STK adapter in windows?
Mine is using Silicon Labs CP210X USB to UART Bridge V6.7.3.0 (COM 13)
but when I try it in the config tool, I can only see (COM13) if I plug in the STK after running the config tool and then I get the error:
This serial port is not found or occupied or state change failed!

S!
Same here, STK just received, working as expected when updating S6R firmw, but can't open S6R in configuration, same error as u.
Did you find a way to solve it

P.D.
W7 running as admin
It seems, you are not alone.

Users in German FPV-Community forum are reporting issues with S6R and STK stick in config mode. Crashing gui program ...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As a data point... no issues here. Both my STK and S6R are pre-prod though if it matters.

Note that you need to flip the switch AND use the plug on the matching side when going from one "mode" to another on the STK.
pslewis

Post by pslewis »

Darthrye,

I could not get the STK adapter to work in config mode no matter what I tried on that laptop, but I got an old laptop out I don't use much anymore and it works fine on that one so atleast I can use my two S6Rs now.

Paul
darthrye

Re: RE: Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by darthrye »

pslewis wrote:Darthrye,

I could not get the STK adapter to work in config mode no matter what I tried on that laptop, but I got an old laptop out I don't use much anymore and it works fine on that one so atleast I can use my two S6Rs now.

Paul
S!

Good to hear that, congrats..
What OS was running that laptop?
I have one too, but no luck, W7 and same problem as desktop, program run, but does not recognise what com port is STK attached.
Will have to ask a friend for his...

Enviado desde mi SM-T800 mediante Tapatalk
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've tried my stk on 3 w7 computers and they were found. I did have trouble using a hub and when I went to a stand alone USB 2 port it was found ok.
Have you tried other ports? There is a way to clear the USB ports from the past auto detect and start over. Haven't done that in a few years to remember how. Google will know.
If it's found by any or you're computers it's not a stk issue.

darthrye

Post by darthrye »

ShowMaster wrote: If it's found by any or you're computers it's not a stk issue.
S!

STK adapter its recognized as silicon labs 2 etc., in both PC, with different COM port number assigned for every PC.

When used for firmware update STK tool and sofware works without problem following connect sequence as stated in manual.

Connecting STK in configuration mode as stated in manual and described by some folks here, STK gets a COM port number assigned correctly.
But for whatever the reason and do not know yet, "FrSky PC config tool" can't detect which COM port is used by STK (direct on USB ports or hub, either) and therefore can't connect to S6R, my last try will be in a laptop of a friend with other Windows OS...
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Don't understand what you mean. The software doesn't "detect" what port is used, you need to select it yourself.
darthrye

Re: RE: Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by darthrye »

Kilrah wrote:you need to select it yourself.
S!
Indeed, but the software must detect the COM port used so you can select it...which not happens in my pcs, although in system report it's correctly assigned to Silicon Labs 2 device=STK...

Enviado desde mi SM-T800 mediante Tapatalk
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What do you see in the device manager?
darthrye

Post by darthrye »

Kilrah wrote:What do you see in the device manager?
S!

Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge, COM 16.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

A quick test shows the program will only find ports up to COM9. Just reassign a lower COM port number. Disconnect/reconnect the stick after changing.
pslewis

Post by pslewis »

Kilrah,
Deleting Com ports so that I had a free port below 9 solved the problem for me thank you
darthrye

Post by darthrye »

S!

Kilrah, thx...

After cleaning the list of COM ports and assign a COM port less than 9 to STK, the PC configuration tool works correctly as it's supposed to be.
Detects STK is connected, read the configuration of S6R and writes without errors or unexpected crashes.

Thx again..
ridgeman

Post by ridgeman »

I used the custom setting for failsafe.. I have 2 taranis radio's .. one with 2.1.9, and one with 2.2.0N358, it worked on both.. when I selected "custom" and hit the "set" button it brought up a display of all 12 channels I have my tx set for.. the display showed the current position of each channel.. i moved all switches and stick positions i what the rx to goto when in failsafe... the bars showing the channels will have lines showing the state of the channel... select the channel... use the + or - buttons to match the dotted line.. a solid bar will appear under the dotted lines.. match each channel and exit.. failsafe will activate the channel positions when tx is off.

RidgeMan

ShowMaster wrote:Some more findings and tips.
If connecting the receiver to your computer when it's actually installed in your plane with servos connected, I find that the current draw may be more than your computers 5v USB buss can deliver. In fact doing a bench test and programming with 4 servos connected, it crashed my computer due to what I'm assuming is too much current demand? I repeated it several times and it was always the same. My workaround was to push the stk red wire out of the 3 pin servo type Sport connection. This removes the ability for the stk to power the s6r. I then use a esc's bec or a 4 cell nimh pack to power the receiver. Then connect the stk as usual but without the red + wire connected. All works well and in my opinion, great for field Config programming in a pre installed s6r.

I'm considering adding a SW in line with the red stk wire so that I can program with or without using the usb's 5 volt power.

Just power up the aircraft as normal, but probably with the prop(s) removed for safety.

Next is failsafe setting. I think this needs its own thread if we're talking non stk functions but for now, here's some more info I tested.

The F/S button on the s6r is only for implementing the self check mode, never failsafe as in other Frsky receivers.

This self check can also be initiated using a SW assigned c12 to start self activation check. I must warn us all to maybe NOT assign a SW to this function, or if we do, make it a 2 step setup to activate it! Triggering it in flight or when not expecting it in the pit, will cause loss of control until it's finished self checking (blue led on checking, off finished)!

My failsafe setting tests came out like this. Feel free to check it and report back. It's all about sharing known facts.

I found that when in the s6r stabilizer mode, two failsafe setting options. Both can only be set from the transmitter. The Taranis not running Opentx 2.2 and s lua script, can only set the s6r stabilizer or receiver only mode with the Windows program. The Taranis I believe with 2.2fw won't need a computer.
The same for the Horus versions and the new 12s. I don't have these to try but I'm sure they all will.

Ok, the 2 failsafe modes that worked for me on my Taranis (2.1fw) are no pulses or custom pulses. The "receiver" option did nothing for me!

You set these options and then do a normal bind at receiver power up.

What I did find that when in the stabilizer mode, only the throttle channel failsafe setting was remembered. With loss of tx(powered off) the throttle would indeed have no pulse input and in the custom mode, it would go to my pre programmed in the tx menu position. In my case, low throttle. The other channels were still under the self leveling control of the stabilizer and did not go to my presets.

I have to try one more option, setting
the stabilizer SW to off at failsafe, missed that option I just realized.

When flashed to be a normal 6 ch receiver, non stabilized, I couldn't find any way to set any failsafe positions, even throttle?

These tests I'll run again but I'm hoping others will verify my findings and report back. Safety in numbers!

I know the FW is a work in progress and as subject to updates.

I've yet to fly my s6r as I'm taking time to learn what it can and can't do in the bench. I'd rather crash my bench than my plane. Patience has its advantages.

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

[quote="ridgeman"]I used the custom setting for failsafe.. I have 2 taranis radio's .. one with 2.1.9, and one with 2.2.0N358, it worked on both.. when I selected "custom" and hit the "set" button it brought up a display of all 12 channels I have my tx set for.. the display showed the current position of each channel.. i moved all switches and stick positions i what the rx to goto when in failsafe... the bars showing the channels will have lines showing the state of the channel... select the channel... use the + or - buttons to match the dotted line.. a solid bar will appear under the dotted lines.. match each channel and exit.. failsafe will activate the channel positions when tx is off.

RidgeMan

I'll try I again. This worked with the receiver in the stabilizer mode on?
Thanks

ridgeman

Post by ridgeman »

ShowMaster wrote:
ridgeman wrote:I used the custom setting for failsafe.. I have 2 taranis radio's .. one with 2.1.9, and one with 2.2.0N358, it worked on both.. when I selected "custom" and hit the "set" button it brought up a display of all 12 channels I have my tx set for.. the display showed the current position of each channel.. i moved all switches and stick positions i what the rx to goto when in failsafe... the bars showing the channels will have lines showing the state of the channel... select the channel... use the + or - buttons to match the dotted line.. a solid bar will appear under the dotted lines.. match each channel and exit.. failsafe will activate the channel positions when tx is off.

RidgeMan

I'll try I again. This worked with the receiver in the stabilizer mode on?
Thanks

i set it to gyro mode when i did it,, had it set to go into slight turn, ele level, motor off, rud slight L turn, ail slight L turn... and when i shut off my tx now the plane goes to preset config in failsafe.. at first i saw the failsafe (custom) (set) screen and thought all i had to do was move switch's and sticks to where i wanted and exit... not the case, you have to go to each channel and use the + - to move the "solid" bar to desired output "matching" the dotted line above the shows current switch and stick positions.

hope this helps, RidgeMan
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

That's I'm sure, what I wasn't doing, using the + and - instead of holding the sticks in a position.
Thanks again for the clarification.
The guardian stabilizer has a 2D mode that has head holding and leveling combined. I'd like to setup on the s6r but have exactly been able to.
What mode have you used you like and have you flown it?
Thanks

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

There is a rumor in a German forum, that S6R is NOT working with X9D. Needs X9D+.
Can someone here confirm?

br KH
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't.
Bussard

Post by Bussard »

kalle123 wrote:There is a rumor in a German forum, that S6R is NOT working with X9D. Needs X9D+.
Can someone here confirm? KH
Hi,
I just tested a S6R (Czech sellers) with X9D first version.
There were no obvious problems with my test setup.
I had to flash the firmware of the S6R back to non EU to bind the receiver with my Taranis.
A first test on the "scale model" worked, in the German forumI will show more details (my bad English).

greetings
buzzard
Last edited by Bussard on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Thank you for your answers.
Was just a foolish rumor.

"My dealer xxx just confirmed, that S6R is not working with first X9D, but needs X9D+ ....." :roll:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's becasue FrSky didn't bother listing both Taranis and Taranis Plus in the manual, so if they have no idea how it works and just refer to it the Taranis is indeed not mentioned.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm currently testing a s6r on the bench with a Taranis B tx that was given to me with a dead internal xjt I've now repaired.
I loaded otx 2.1.8 (have to check) at that time. So far bench wise, no bind or control issues except learning the s6r itself.
FCC xjt firmware.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I'll post here. I have a S6R, and I'm testing it.
I'm using a 9XR-PRO with XJT module and ersky9x. I can bind OK to the S6R (Green led on), but I get no servo response. Does the S6R have to be calibrated before it will control servos?
I have a servo on channel 1 and it drives to the centre.
I know I have it bound as I'm seeing telemetry on the Tx (RSSI and Rx voltage).
Channel 9 outputting +100%, channels 10 and 11 at 0% (centre).
The Rx is responding as I have some test code in ersky9x, and I can request and receive the "Wing Type" parameter from the Tx. This is set to "normal".

Mike.

Edit: I seem to have "woken it up" by running the self check, triggered by channel 12. I had already tried that using the bind button.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”