S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Carbo

Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by Carbo »

First step is to calibrate the acc Sensor with STK or LUA-script. Then push bindbutton (or use Channel12) with connected servos to calibrate the S6R gyro and position. What happens, if you push bind button (servos connected), without a calibrated acc Sensor? I don´t know, never tried.

pslewis

Post by pslewis »

I tested this on one of my S6R's straight from the box and the only channel that works is throttle the others do nothing, but once you have calibrated everything is fine.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

A few Config questions. I'm used to the guardian and like its modes. I'm trying to simulate that using the s6r.
The guardian FW I'm using allows a SW toggle the first 15 seconds after turn on, then you can't, to calibrate your plane to a defined level.
Am I correct in thinking this mode in the s6r can be triggered at "any time" a ch12 switch is toggled?

I use the guardian 2D HH mode as well as remote gain assigned to a pot.

I'm confused on if it can be, how to setup the s6r ch switches ( positions) to simulate this same mode. Ch 9 for gain is understood.

I use this mode for training or very windy gusty days. Mostly high wing 4 ch planes.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

ShowMaster wrote:Am I correct in thinking this mode in the s6r can be triggered at "any time" a ch12 switch is toggled?
I am new to stabilizers and do not know the guardian, but a Ch12 switch starts the self check and the S6R learns the position for the Autolevel mode then. I locked it with the engine safetyswitch to prevent its use in flight.
ShowMaster wrote:I use the guardian 2D HH mode as well as remote gain assigned to a pot.
I'm confused on if it can be, how to setup the s6r ch switches ( positions) to simulate this same mode. Ch 9 for gain is understood.
I use this mode for training or very windy gusty days. Mostly high wing 4 ch planes.
Here are my modes for SC and SD:
Schema.png
Schema.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 14340 times
using this mixes (better is weight 50, offset 50 for Ch9):
screen-2016-09-27-160842.png
screen-2016-09-27-160842.png (744 Bytes) Viewed 14340 times
and this announcements:
screen-2016-09-27-160852.png
screen-2016-09-27-160852.png (769 Bytes) Viewed 14340 times
screen-2016-09-27-160908.png
screen-2016-09-27-160908.png (915 Bytes) Viewed 14340 times
If you talk about Heading Hold, i think this equals Autolevel ( but Autolevel nails down only aileron and elevator) and the Autolevel gains have to be adjusted with the STK-Stick or LUA-script. With channel 9 you adjust the gyro gain, and that works in the Stabilised mode for all axis, in the Autolevel mode for Rudder, Hover mode for aileron and Knifeedge for elevator.

For flying in windy days maybe Stabilize mode is the best one, Autolevel is more or less a rescue mode for me. But i am still learning what works best for me.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As I understand it, there are two type of "calibration" you need to do.
One is the calibration of the gyros, done form the PC program or the radio (ersky9x will have this soon, it already has the ability to edit all the other parameters).
The other is the calibration of the servo movement. To do this, you need to invoke the self test (blue LED on) either using channel 12 or pressing the bind button. A soon as the blue LED goes off, move the sticks round so all channels go to their limits. This sets the servo limits in the S6R.
I had just used channels 1-4 previously, all going from -100% to +100%
As an experiment, I set up ailerons on channels 1 and 5, setting some differential (50%/-50%). Testing with servos on channels 1 and 5, the one on channel 1 operated correctly from the stick (100% one way and 50% the other), but the servo on channel 5 didn't move.
Putting the S6R into "Auto level mode" and the servo on channel 1 would move from -100% to +100% as I tilted the S6R, the one on channel 5 didn't move.
I then triggered the self test, and 'stirred' the sticks when the blue LED went off.
Both channels 1 and 5 then operated correctly from the stick, and then, in "auto level" mode, each servo only went to 50% in one direction when tilting the S6R. What I did notice however, is both servos moved the same amount as I tilted the S6R, just one of them stopped at 50% while the other carried on moving.

Test versions of ersky9x with S6R configuration in are here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9291.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good info Mike. I've been working through the setups and yours is added to the notes.
Using otx 2.0.20, but also I'll try it with ersky9x also on my many conversions.

I'm still fighting why the rudder thinks my receiver must be on one side to have the servo go to center? I'll go through the stk cal again to be sure that's correct.
I still may be fighting SW assignments and throws when switched. That is on the sort out list I've created.

I was challenged by the gain setting only wanting 1500-2000 us (1.5-2 ms) as a gain control width. I've set up a otx curve to allow a pot(S1) to go that amount(1500) from full ccw to (2000) cw.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Be really sure of the mode you're asking it to be in with the 2 channels, some seem to have "weird" responses especially Hover and Knife Edge.
Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Here is an overview, how axis are controlled. Gyro works against influeces from outside, ACC nails down the axis to the desired position.
S6R.png
S6R.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 14321 times
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Kilrah wrote:Be really sure of the mode you're asking it to be in with the 2 channels, some seem to have "weird" responses especially Hover and Knife Edge.
That's probably what's going on. Confusing!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Carbo wrote:Here is an overview, how axis are controlled. Gyro works against influeces from outside, ACC nails down the axis to the desired position.
S6R.png
Good info, thank you.
Please define what ACC is/means so I'm sure I understand it.

Carbo

Post by Carbo »

The 3 accelerometer sensors measure gravity in 3 dimensions. So the S6R knows its orientation regarding earth. That information is used to bring and hold the model in the desired orientation.
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by jhsa »

Kilrah wrote:Be really sure of the mode you're asking it to be in with the 2 channels, some seem to have "weird" responses especially Hover and Knife Edge.
There you go, 2 great features that will very likely destroy or models.. :)
I prefer to destroy them learning how to do it myself than let the flight control destroying them for me ;) :mgreen:

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Carbo

Re: RE: Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by Carbo »

jhsa wrote:I prefer to destroy them learning how to do it myself than let the flight control destroying them for me ;) :mgreen:
That´s what the first S6R flightmode provides :D
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, ACC for accelerometer. The mode I use the most with a guardian stabilizer is what's called 2D head holding along with the remote gain function.
I'm not sure but that may be the
Stabilized s6r mode from the posted chart
SC down, SD center putting Ail, El, and Rud in Gyro mode?

As for auto the auto calibration mode once in the plane. I can trigger that with the receiver F/S button but assigning a SW to ch 12 doesn't trigger it?
Is there a defined ms swing value wise that must happen on ch 12 I'm missing?
I've assigned a 2 pos SW to do that.

Will this work?
I'd like to actually see what's going on pulse wise on the actual transmitted ch 9-12 pulses.
Can a Sbus receiver be bound along with the s6r to decode the channels for viewing with a scope? No Sbus out on the s6r.

Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Here are my mixes, i use for ch12 the momentary SH switch locked with the engine safety-switch, a short press starts calibration.
S6Rmixes.png
S6Rmixes.png (8.8 KiB) Viewed 14303 times
I think, you will see the same, if you are watching the channels in the channel monitor on TX or scoping an additional S-Bus receiver. There is only the PPM from the mixes above.

The weight in Ch10 and 11 does not matter, as long it is more than about 10%.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've been experimenting with the configuration of the S6R. I'm using ersky9x on a 9X with an AR9X upgrade board. I've written the code for ersky9x to configure the S6R, so I can do unusual things.
When configuring the direction of compensation, you write 255 (0xFF) for normal and 0 for reverse. I thought I'd try some other values and found 0x80 stops the compensation, leaving the channel to work as a normal channel.
It should be possible to edit the lua script to add this value.

So, I set wing type to normal, elevator on channel 2, and a pot on channel 6, and had ELE2 set to Normal direction (255). I put two servos on these two channels (ELE and ELE2), they are controlled correctly from the stick and the pot.
With the Rx in auto level mode, if I tip the Rx up, then both servos moved in the same direction.
Next I changed ELE2 to Inverse (0x00), then when I tip the Rx, the two servos moved in opposite directions.
Then I changed ELE2 to "Off" (0x80). Now when I tip the Rx, only the ELE servo moved, the ELE2 servo remained controlled by the pot.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Mike, I have the pro beta and 9xtreme tx's that will use the xjt module. Witch one do I want to use to follow your FW mods for the s6r? I smd I have the B and C Skyboard conversions but they're still setup for the djt module.

Hopefully with all this dialogue the s6r can be setup to be like the spektrum combo receiver/stab. That's very popular and why many won't try the Frsky gear or conversions. Too many options and programming modes for most BnF minds.

A pro with a xjt or dsmX module would offer receiver options to the BnF types.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Use the 9XR-PRO. I haven't tested my changes on the 9Xtreme yet.

Playing with the failsafe, I've just added in as settable from ersky9x, I tried "No Pulses", but this only happened on the throttle channel, all the other channels continued to output pulses.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok Mike, pro it is.
I believe I've got the Taranis setup now thanks to the posts and charts.
I'm using a 1500 to 2000us curve across the full range of S1 for gain. It seems linear. Anything under 1500 usec is 0 gain. It also seems that the ch 12 auto trim trigger wants to see a width swing from 1500 to 2000 usec to initiate the mode. Maybe covered in the manual but I missed it?

Now that the switch modes and functions seem to be working for me and thanks to the chart, I now know their mode positions. I think I found the equivalent of the guardian 2D HHolding mode I'm used to. In this case it's the auto level mode, both assigned mode switches down.
This seems to hold the servos off center until the receiver is level again. The stabilized mode only gives a quick servo movement and returns to center?
I need theses modes better defined to get my mind understanding the quick movement and then back to center?
I'm sure once I feel confident I can turn all the action off, flying with each mode will better define their action.
Bench test a lot, maybe don't crash once!

Install, range check, and flying, will happening soon now. Verifying correct servo direction is also on the checkout list.
I think the test plane will be a 4 ch HK bixler powered glider left over from the pro testing. It survived all of the hardware and FW updates!
I'll try the pro also.

This thread has been a lot of help!

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Rather than a curve on channel 9, setting the weight to 50% and the offset to 50% should work fine, that's what I'm using.
I tested with a pot on channel 12, and as soon as it got above around 6.5%, or below -6.5%, the Rx went into "self check" mode.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Gain setup was mentioned earlier and I didn't seem to get the pot gain action I expected. Of course I'll try it again.
From what I'm seeing on the bench, I may only use the auto level mode the most.
I may change my mind after trying the gyro mode however. I do an ok knife edge and not really doing any 3D. Fly g without flipping the wrong SW modes will be my first challenge. I think I could use a master disable the stabilizer panic SW as well? The way it's gong, soon a piano keyboard, or better yet, a foot control board, may be in order to "play" all our many mode options for all tx features.

Rock groups seem to need them to keep the music flowing.

I'm thinking I'll create a mix with the auto level mode assigned to a SW to turn it on or off, the gain function, and as suggested, the auto cal function only available with the motor unarm SW set to motor off.

All for today. Rc club meeting tonight I must go to. Officer election time and I want to be sure I don't end up as president. Ha ha.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The CH9 gain only works for the gyros, so only on stability mode, not on auto level mode where the accelerometers are used.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I found that out about the gain not working on all ch's wth auto level after reading your post Mike. Too bad, that's the mode I like on the guardian. The gain controls all three channels. The auto level mode or 2D HH as it's called is great for first time, first flyers, or visitors to field asking how difficult is it to fly a Rc plane. I turn the gain up and let them try it. That and the wireless trainer setup lets them get some good stick time in as I talk them thru turns.

I retried the 50/50 ch 9 setup and it works. I guess I missed something the first time.

ShowMaster

S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by ShowMaster »

One setback? I trigger the auto check and moved the surface sticks to their extremes when the blue led went out. I think that's the required sequence? Now I lost elevator stick control? The only mode that returned control was center/off on the assigned toggle for that.

I'll have to post my SW assignments next time. I'm not near my tx until later tonight.

I'll go thru all the setup steps again tonight.
I'm still fuzzy in this stick calibration movement requirement?

seabee

Post by seabee »

nobbyt wrote:Paul
I have the latest LBT Firmware in both tx and rx.
are you shorting say 1-2 or just holding the little pin down when applying power.
I am on D16 with 1-16 selected.
As i said when powering up green on,then when bind button pressed red flashes. green remains solid. Power OFF. Reconect. Red only flashing No green
I have exactly the same problem using an original Taranis with LBT software, using same procedure as for X6R.
D-16 with 16 channels active.

Told by dealer it should work "out of the box" as a X6R if stabilisation is not required. LBT X6R binds LBT S6R doesn't. Strangely the Taranis flips between Telemetry Lost/Restored notice post binding attempt but S6R is not bound.

Any clues anyone?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Your dealer is wrong, if you want to use as receiver only you need to disable stabilization features using the configuration software, they're enabled by default.
seabee

Post by seabee »

Kilrah wrote:Your dealer is wrong, if you want to use as receiver only you need to disable stabilization features using the configuration software, they're enabled by default.
....but would that be enough to stop it binding? I don't have the configuration tool yet.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, but given your data it's bound, just not moving servos in response to inputs because it needs to be calibrated first.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk
seabee

Post by seabee »

Kilrah wrote:No, but given your data it's bound, just not moving servos in response to inputs because it needs to be calibrated first.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk
....but only the red LED is flashing after S6R re-boot indicating loss of signal. Is the Taranis telling me that it intermittently has a signal to bind or that the initialisation of the stabilisation is turning it off? I don't understand how there can be any telemetry signal if the S6R is not properly bound. It would make sense for the SR6 to disable itself if the stabilisation software is not initialised but I doubt that is implemented.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Not sure then. But yes the S6R DOES appear unresponsive until it's calibrated and the throws are set.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”