S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
seabee

Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by seabee »

From what I have read elsewhere it would appear that the EU-LBT S6R can be used with the original Taranis with EU-LBT firmware provided that it is first initialised with either a Horus or the LUA scripts from OpenTx Companion 2.2. Without this initialisation it can not be bound to a Taranis. (I can certainly confirm the later). Can anyone confirm the former - That it can be bound to a Taranis once initialised and the STK USB adapter is insufficient on its own?

Carbo

Post by Carbo »

Kilrah answered this already in the previous post. You can bind it, but not use it, before you do the setup and at least disable stabilisation. You can easily test this: If you receive telemetry, your S6R is bound. Keep minimum 1m distance between RX and TX, shorter distances can disable telemetry by "swamping".
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

- You can bind an S6R with any radio that has the matching RF firmware (EU-LBT with EU-LBT, international with international).
- The S6R must be calibrated and configured before it can be actually used for anything.

Calibration and configuration can be done either
- Using any Taranis or Horus version running OpenTX 2.2 >= RC7
- Using the STK.
seabee

Post by seabee »

Thank you Carbo & Kilrah for the clarification.

The S6R manual states that a flashing RED LED means 'Signal Lost' so I assumed that meant it wasn't bound. There was also no obvious indication that it was bound on the display. However the Taranis did announce "Telemetry Lost" after a few seconds. Consequently I paged to the telemetry set up menu and scanned for New Sensors and to my astonishment the RSSI indicated a value that changed as I moved the transmitter further or nearer. From that I deduce that it is bound but not how I understand it.

I will now put it on the shelf until the final version of Companion 2.2 is released.

[EDIT] Spent a day upgrading Companion to 2.2 RC7. With this I was able to calibrate the S6R and disable the stabilisation with no problems. The Taranis X9D still refused to maintain a bound connection trying every documented binding method I could find. The RED LED continued to flash post binding and RSSI indications were intermittent (the Rx and Tx were separated by 8m and a brick wall). It looks like FrSky start the EU-LBT compatibility list with the Taranis Plus for a reason.

[EDIT2] I have had this response from FrSky Technical support:
Don't worry, the EU-LBT S6R is compatible with the Taranis 9D (NOT Plus) with EU-LBT firmware.
So now stuck :(
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

I've struggled with the STK. Showmaster gave the clue how to use it to upgrade. You MUST follow this order to get it to work on a PC:
1. Open Settings and go to Devices, and at the bottom of the screen open Device Manager and click on Ports (COM & LPT).
2. Plug the lead into the bottom set of pins on the STK with the yellow to the outside and move the switch to the same side.
3. Plus the STK into a USB port. Watch Device Manager, and an extra com port will open.
com.JPG
4. Load the frsky_update_Sport.exe file, and change the port to the one discovered (COM3 in my case).
5. Load the appropriate receiver file for the S6R.
6. Now plug the receiver into the STK.
7. After "device found" appears, start download. Firmware should update.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

seabee wrote: [EDIT] Spent a day upgrading Companion to 2.2 RC7. With this I was able to calibrate the S6R and disable the stabilisation with no problems. The Taranis X9D still refused to maintain a bound connection trying every documented binding method I could find. The RED LED continued to flash post binding and RSSI indications were intermittent (the Rx and Tx were separated by 8m and a brick wall).
You probably got a defective S6R then. Get that replaced.
seabee

Post by seabee »

Kilrah wrote:
seabee wrote: [EDIT] Spent a day upgrading Companion to 2.2 RC7. With this I was able to calibrate the S6R and disable the stabilisation with no problems. The Taranis X9D still refused to maintain a bound connection trying every documented binding method I could find. The RED LED continued to flash post binding and RSSI indications were intermittent (the Rx and Tx were separated by 8m and a brick wall).
You probably got a defective S6R then. Get that replaced.
My dealer has replaced the S6R but the second one behaves just like the first. I have not yet found anyone with an original Taranis running EU-LBT firmware that has successfully bound it. But I have found one other who is having exactly the same problem as me.
seabee

Post by seabee »

It would appear that if you have an early Taranis with a D16HV2 RF Module then it is never going to work with a S6R Receiver unless FrSky produce new firmware. If you have a D16HV3 then all the good advice above is applicable.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Since the D16HV2 works with a X8R, it seems there is a problem with the S6R. I'm 'talking' to FrSky about this.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

seabee wrote:It would appear that if you have an early Taranis with a D16HV2 RF Module then it is never going to work with a S6R Receiver unless FrSky produce new firmware. If you have a D16HV3 then all the good advice above is applicable.
#1 - Where or how did you get this information?
#2 - How many of those early Taranis are around? Or are we talking about very early development examples ...

I have a Taranis from 2014 and this has a HV3 board.

br KH
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Someone in the UK, with an early Taranis, has been unable to operate his S6R, but it works with a later Taranis he has.
I then tested with a prototype and an early production Taranis and also am unable to operate the S6R. In all these cases it does bind. Investigation shows these all have D16HV2 RF modules, and someone else has since confirmed this with another D16HV2.
The D16HV2 modules work fine with a X8R.

FrSky have admitted to a bug relating to loss of elevator output and have released updated firmware for the S6R, see: http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... are-%20S6R.
I just tried this, but it doesn't fix the D16HV2 problem.

I used the STK device to do the firmware update with no problems.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
seabee

Post by seabee »

kalle123 wrote:
seabee wrote:It would appear that if you have an early Taranis with a D16HV2 RF Module then it is never going to work with a S6R Receiver unless FrSky produce new firmware. If you have a D16HV3 then all the good advice above is applicable.
#1 - Where or how did you get this information?
#2 - How many of those early Taranis are around? Or are we talking about very early development examples ...

I have a Taranis from 2014 and this has a HV3 board.

br KH
From experiments on http://www.modelflying.co.uk we determined from people with two Taranis one with D16HV2 and the other with D16HV3 and one S6R that it would bind to V3 but not V2. I have tried two S6R on V2 and confirm it will not bind on V2. The findings have since been confirmed by others.

The first batch of production Taranis has the V2 board but subsequent batches and the first Taranis Plus have the V3 board. Mine came from T9HobbySport on the 17 Jun 2013.
GeoffSleath

Post by GeoffSleath »

I'm the person with 2 Taranises and I spent hours trying to get the older one to bind to my S6R to no avail. As a last resort I tried the newer one and it bound perfectly. I had a quick look inside the older one and found the RF board to be DH16V2 and then others with similar problems found the same board. Hopefully Frsky will be able to supply the later RF boards even though the transmitters were bought in 2013 (August in my case).

I had few problems with the STK USB interface once I'd managed to get it to find a COM port and I've used it with both the S6R and to blow firmware. However, I find firmware writing a LOT easier done from the transmitter's module port. The STK is a bit fiddly and temperamental (things need to be done in the right order or it won't play fair)

I now find that my S6R doesn't work at all in stabilisation mode when I bench test it though Auto seems to be working. Things happen in Hover and knife edge modes, too but not sure if they're the right things. I'm assuming in Stabilisation mode all the servos should move at least a little when I roll or tilt the receiver but they don't. They still respond to normal transmitter inputs. Still investigating. I have the gains set to maximum in the Config S/W so presumably in the receiver.

Incidentally I have a switch on channel 12 for self test and another (SG) for motor enable/timer run. I've simply inhibited the operation of the self-test switch when ever the motor is enabled so I won't inadvertently catch it in flight.

Geoff
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What master gain do you have on channel 9? If channel 9 is sending 0% (centre), then the gain for stabilisation is 0 so nothing moves.
I recommend setting channel 9 to be controlled from a pot or slider with a weight of 50% and an offset of 50%.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
GeoffSleath

Post by GeoffSleath »

I've just set up a pot on channel 9 as you describe. max CCW at 1.5mS and max CW at 2mS as mentioned by Showmaster. I don't where that came from because I can't find it on the manual/data sheet as downloaded from Frsky (not terse sheet that comes with the receiver).

I did it before dinner and now back in the workshop to try it, refreshed from food and crosswords :)

At last! That looks like it now works. I'd been trying without any gain control and without anything set on channel 9. From the manual it looks as though the channel 9 gain input is optional but it seems not. The manual misses a lot out including how to set a failsafe. I've used the Custom option from the transmitter and that seems to work as well. It looks like I'm dangerously near to aviation once the weather decides to clear.

The model I intend to use has to be inverted to fit the flight pack. Will initiating the self check through Ch12 after the model is right way up make sure it knows which way is up?

Geoff
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 'full' manual is here: http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... Manual-S6R.

The quickstart guide does mention CH9 in a couple of places. Under "Convential Models" it does say "Meanwhile CH9 can be used for gyro gain adjustment . . . (abs(CH9-M))".

Doing the self check should be OK, jus make sure the model is tethered in case the throttle activates during the self check.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Servo pulse output level question?
I was testing a new probe on my Rigol scope using the s6r receiver servo out and discovered that the pulses are 3-3.3v amplitude. The 5 v buss reads 4.9v.
I understand we're in a 3.3v world now but I thought I'd see 4.9-5v pulses. I haven't had a reason to look at them in a while.
I'll of course I'll check a D and X receiver as well, but had to run.
For years in the fm analog receiver world, I seem to remember that the pulse amplitude was at the value of the receiver buss?
This 3.3v pulse if standard now may explain why some using servo Y cables sometimes have servo issues due to loading?
That and why some stabilizers seem to be twitchy when a Y cable is used?
Using this thinking, are the newer servos designed to use the lower amplitude pulse and maybe older servos not?
I understand that the the servo input stage clips the amplitude at a low voltage and with it the noise on the riding on the top.
So I'm posting my fuzzy thoughts here for clarification and re-education from Mike and others here since I discovered it on the S6R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Given the RF chips work at 3.3V I think you will find the processors are at 3.3V so the servo output pulses are also at 3.3V on most receivers.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Pretty much everything in the 2.4GHz world uses 3.3V pulses indeed.

It started earlier for some, e.g. Futaba PCM (and some stuff had issues with it back then... but that's 10+ years ago so since then people have normally adapted and stuff you find today should work with 3.3V).
ShowMaster

S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by ShowMaster »

Yes, it makes sense that this is the new norm, I just haven't had a reason to scope the servo outputs with the new scope.
That being the case, I winder if with older servos, I mean good maybe even new, but from the 80's and 90's, if one would want to use a 4069 as a servo pulse buffer to go from a 3.3 to 5v level?
I have many JR's that still are new or installed, but are 1980's era.
I used the 4069 when I first used PCM and had issues.
In any case, I'm up to speed on the new levels to expect.
Thanks

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Finally got my first S6R. (sometimes it is a long way from China :roll: )

Did some testing with my trusty demonstrator
Bildschirmfoto48.jpeg
Some remarks.

- With flying wing you have to make direction adjustment of servo travel as well in S6R setup and in opentx.

- Found Mikes good!! idea about mixing throttle to gain. Had this issue with multiwii stabilization, when speeding up.

- Settings at the moment only with STK and a computer or with lua script and pre release 2.2. So if you want to do changes in field, you have to step up to pre release opentx. So I'll wait ...

- Missing a discussion about the those two pages in S6R setting menu. FrSky manual does not say much and I don't see a discussion about those settings on the internet. Everyone seems to be happy with default values!?
Bildschirmfoto52.jpeg
Bildschirmfoto53.jpeg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

kalle123 wrote:- Settings at the moment only with STK and a computer or with lua script and pre release 2.2. So if you want to do changes in field, you have to step up to pre release opentx. So I'll wait ...
Or ersky9x now supports the S6R configuration.
I've also done a PC program that uses the STK and allows you to set AIL2 and/or ELE2 to a direction of OFF. This lets you use channels 5 and 6 for 'normal' servos without them applying any compensation. I've posted it here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9291&hilit=sportset. I'm still working on it to make it better!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

It's tempting, Mike.
I have seen, what you are doing under ersky9x and S6R. Chapeau!
But I think, at the moment, I'll stick with opentx. Lot of different things on the boil :mrgreen:
br KH
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm glad to see that Mike's onboard with the s6r now. This should speed up the issue solving and tx's setting options.
I have a 9xtreme with a xjt module I'm assuming will with with Mike's new ersky9x FW version.

One more question for Mike I'm sure he's answered but humor me please. I should update my B and C ersky board conversions to use a xjt to be more universal for 2017 and to work with the s6r. I originally used DJT modules and did the simple no trace cut mods to them that's reversible. I do need a link or how to, to use a xjt in their place.
If this works out I'll have more spare Djt modules to store, or trade?
Thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9Xtreme works with the XJT and the S6R with the latest test versions of ersky9x.
On the SKY board, for normal use, if you have the DJT operating using the bottom pin (pin 5) of the module connector for telemetry, then the XJT just plugs in and works. What doesn't work is configuring the S6R, as this needs SPort data sent from the main board. Assuming you have pin 2 (2nd from top) of the module connector connected to the TX telemetry signal, then all you should need to do is add a diode (e.g. 1N4001), from pin 2 to pin 5 of the module connector on the back board of the 9X, cathode to pin 5. I haven't tested this (yet?), but I have done it on an AR9X board to get the S6R configuration operating.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Easy enough Mike. I used the original djt wiring you posted many years ago to use a internal rs232 to ttl level changer on my 9x board conversions as well using the built in converter on the sky boards.
I already have the xjt usable with Sport on my 9xt and I think, 9x pro. Got to revisit the pro to be sure.

I believe pin 2 and 5 were used with only a wire and a resistor added, no module trace cutting or modifications.
I have both 1n400x diodes and Schottky. Any preference if I have both?
As always, thanks for the fast and factual reply.

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 'PRO has a SPort interface on pin 5 (bi-directional) so is fully compatible with the XJT.
Go for the 1N4001. Because of the full RS232 output buffering, the 1N4001 is better because it has a larger voltage drop than the schottky.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, will do.

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

There seems to be an issue with the 20161109 S6R firmware.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... 6R&page=49

Firmware posted on Frsky server two weeks ago and firmware now downloadable differ.

Actual firmware appears to be buggy
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

What version FW should we be using and its link please.
Thank you

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”