S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
kalle123

Re: S6R PC configuration STK USB adapter

Post by kalle123 »

It is a bit crazy at the moment. Frsky just removed 20161109 and has first version on download.

Don't want to do double postings, so please have a look here >>> https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... 6R&page=50

Seems, Frsky is aware of that issue and reacts ...

br KH

kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Just found this here.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=855

Did a short test here with an Uno. Seems to work! Thank you pawelsky, for sharing.

br KH

Why is Frsky using a STM32 for that :roll:
20.jpeg
19.jpeg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Maybe the STM has an on chip USB, so it reduces the parts count and that makes it cheaper to produce.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Mike, there is a CP2102 on that STK USB adapter.

Total overkill :mrgreen:

br
21.jpeg
22.jpeg
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

In that case they want TWO serial interfaces in the processor, and it may well be this is the same processor they use on all the Tx modules and receivers so it is very low cost as they use a lot of them.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Also, it may work rather better! I've just tried a nano clone (CH340 serial) and it doesn't work reliably with my SportSet program.
It doesn't recognise my first serial command unless I wait over a second after opening the COM port. The STK responds immediately.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Mike,
I guess you saw this already, but in case you missed pawelsky's post here. May this be a hint on what could cause a different behavior of SportSet and the FrSky app?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes I saw that. I'll need to investigate what causes that difference.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
seabee

Post by seabee »

seabee wrote:
kalle123 wrote:
seabee wrote:It would appear that if you have an early Taranis with a D16HV2 RF Module then it is never going to work with a S6R Receiver unless FrSky produce new firmware. If you have a D16HV3 then all the good advice above is applicable.
#1 - Where or how did you get this information?
#2 - How many of those early Taranis are around? Or are we talking about very early development examples ...

I have a Taranis from 2014 and this has a HV3 board.

br KH
From experiments on http://www.modelflying.co.uk we determined from people with two Taranis one with D16HV2 and the other with D16HV3 and one S6R that it would bind to V3 but not V2. I have tried two S6R on V2 and confirm it will not bind on V2. The findings have since been confirmed by others.

The first batch of production Taranis has the V2 board but subsequent batches and the first Taranis Plus have the V3 board. Mine came from T9HobbySport on the 17 Jun 2013.

Apparently FrSky now have new S6R Firmware for the DH16V2 board and it works FrSky S6R Downloads Item 5 in the fix list "5. RF adapt to DH16V2"
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the D16HV2 I tried it in.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
seabee

Post by seabee »

MikeB wrote:Unfortunately, it didn't fix the D16HV2 I tried it in.

Mike.
That's interesting.

Although I haven't tried it myself (as I eventually returned the S6R for an X6R) I received an email from a friend who had the same problem I did, which said it now worked with both of his Taranis transmitters that had the D16HV2 board and that he had subsequently ordered more S6R receivers as a result. That is why I made the post.

I was thinking of buying another myself but will now wait until we know more.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check it works with different Rx Numbers. Some work and some don't.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may have noticed a S8R receiver on the FrSky site, and listed as coming from some sellers.
I have an advanced unit direct from FrSky to test.
To confirm, it is like the X8R in that it has 8 channels, RSSI, SPort and SBUS.
Channels 1-6 are like the S6R, with channels 5 and 6 settable for AIL2/AUX1 and ELE2/AUX2. Channels 7 and 8 are normal channels. Channels 9-12 are the same as the S6R, and channels 13-16 are available on the SBUS output.
So far, with the limited testing I've done, it seems to perform like the S6R with the latest firmware.
To get it operating correctly it did need the calibration procedure (putting the Rx in the 6 different positions), followed by the self-check and set the output limits. I ran these directly from ersky9x running on a Taranis, so I haven't used the STK on it yet.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Lovescale

Post by Lovescale »

Mike i have the s6r used the USB adapter and set up receiver. Binding and self test good but having trouble getting 3 position switches to work can you give rundown on how this assigned. Have then assigned with no effect on receiver
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The settings I'm using in the mixer are:
CH9: +50% P2 Offset(50%) - This is for the master gain on pot P2
For a normal wing:
CH10: +100% HALF Switch(!ID^)
CH11: +100% HALF Switch(IDv)
So, with the ID switch up, normal flight, no stabilisation, with the ID switch in the middle - stab. mode, with the ID switch down - auto level mode.
Assign channel 12 to a switch if you want to activate the self check remotely, e.g.:
CH12 +50% sELE Offset(50%)

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Amazingly enough, I am "confused" about the self check/self test function using Ch12 or the bind button. Is it necessary to perform this function EACH AND EVERY TIME that you fly, OR is is a ONE TIME ONLY check (which way is up) with the receiver installed in the model and level? If the receiver is inaccessible, even with the wing removed, then being able to trigger the self test remotely using Ch12 is useful, BUT if you can level the airplane and trigger the self test using the bind button on the receiver with the airplane "on the bench", then having a Ch12 set to trigger the test is a recipe for in-flight disaster without a lock-out. So which is it? One time only or each and every flight? Many thanks in advance.
Last edited by gsjames on Wed May 10, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

One time only. Having CH12 available is useful. You do need to switch to the channel centre position, and away from it 3 times within a couple of seconds to trigger the self test.
Some people are also combining this with their throttle safety switch, so CH12 can only change when the throttle is disarmed.

After using the self test to set the "level" attitude, if you find this is not quite right, there are a couple of parameters you may change to adjust the exact position for auto-level.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

Thanks Mike! I have been reading the various configurations that people have been using to have CH12 available, but safe. I am familiar with the ability to change alignment parameters using S6RConfig.exe, but hopefully that won't be necessary I may incorporate the remote self test function on my bird, but since the receiver is easily accessible, and that I have a bubble level, I'll just use the bind button for now.
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

There is most likely a "bug" in S6RConfig.exe from FrSky. Because I have so many devices on my machine, it automatically assigned the USB-STK to COM13, which was the first open port. S6RConfig could NOT find the device although S8RConfig.exe did. When I forced the USB-STK to be on COM2, S6RConfig.exe DID find the device and worked correctly. SPortSet.exe works just fine.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I've had a couple of outings using a S6R. During the first flight, I found the servo centre didn't seem to be exactly the same in normal, stab and auto-level modes. I ended up making each of these a separate filght mode so I could have the trims set differently for each of them.

That seemed to work fine. The first day was quite windy, so stab mode proved very useful, but the wind also made it a bit difficult to be certain of the performance.

The second day was very calm, and after checking the trimming everything felt very good. Having flown with auto-level on, I find it odd. To turn, you HAVE to hold the aileron active to keep the wings banked or the auto-level levels them up (of course). This didn't feel very natural, particularly as I remember from flying full size you might actually need to hold a very small amount of opposite aileron on to stop the turn tightening due to the outside wing moving faster than the inside wing so generating more lift and creating a rolling moment into the turn.

Since the only use, for me, of auto-level is just to bring the 'plane back to level, I shall be putting in a "timeout" on the auto-level setting of, probably, 2 seconds. So, when I select auto-level, it will only be active for 2 seconds, then revert to stab mode. This should easily be long enough for the 'plane to regain level flight, during my testing it seemed to be very quick to level out, so even 2 seconds my be too long.

With auto-level not actually being exactly level, without some trim applied, I will need to adjust the angle offset to achieve level flight with no trim applied. Hopefully I may be able to work out the angle offset needed in relation to the amount of trim I have set.

MIke.
erskyTx/er9x developer
HorusMangler

Post by HorusMangler »

Hi, new to the forum and can't find out how to start a new topic but hoping someone can help.

I have a S6R which is bound to my Horus X12S. I am using OpneTx 2.2.3. Can someone give me some idea how I can configure (or even if it is possible) the S6R directly throuigh the Horus.
TIA
HM
pslewis

Post by pslewis »

on the Horus 12s
press SYS until the menu opens
press PgDn to get to the SD-HC CARD menu
use the rotary dial to select SxR
then Execute SxR.lua

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”