taranis wont turn on

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
remyandre

taranis wont turn on

Post by remyandre »

After upgrading firmware to the newest.i cant turn on the radio,screen flash blue a short second then blank. Pls help, just got the radio . its the new 2000mah battery taranis

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: taranis wont turn on

Post by MikeB »

If you have flashed the latest, you should have the bootloader. What happens if you switch on while holding the two horizontal trims towards the centre? This should boot in the bootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
remyandre

Post by remyandre »

What drivers is correct for usb. Uninstalled drivers when panicked:( and what firmware is best ?
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Is your TX now OK?

If NOT, please answer Mikes question first ...

Can you access the bootloader by holding the hor. trim taps to the center and then switch on? See picture.

About your question - usb driver. Please answer first, what are you using? WINDOWS, Linux, MacOS?

br
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto29.jpeg
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

He might have done like me...

I accidentally loaded the 9x FW because I didn't realize that OpenTX Companion defaulted to the 9x as the Radio Type (I'm guessing because I had an old Companion9x install on the machine) and that's the version it downloaded. After figuring out the Radio Type issue so it used the correct programmer, I clicked on the wrong firmware (because I didn't pay close enough attention to the actual filename, doyt! :oops: ) and BAM! wrong firmware with exactly those symptoms.

It was, however quite simple enough to fix by selecting the correct firmware; after several cycles of "FLASH, DEAD TX, REFLASH OEM FIRMWARE TO MAKE SURE IT STILL LIVES, REFLASH" and then whacking myself in the forehead when I finally realized my dumb mistake and scrolled down far enough in the directory to see the second firmware file. :roll:

It's been my experience that by the time such gear is this mature, pretty much EVERY such issue is usually a dumb mistake caused by simple lack of experience with the new gear. :mrgreen: USUALLY, I say. ;)

mnem
"Doyt!"

bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

Starting at Companion 2.0.8 the default radio is now the Taranis, as the firmware downloads count are by far bigger for the Taranis than for all the other boards together.
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

Please can someone help my Taranis is not turning on now after flashing the firmware also. it seems to be stuck in bootloader mode as in the devices menu on my computer it shows up STM32 BOOTLOADER working properly.
I have flashed and flashed but it wont come back to life. Tried everything on this and any other threads i could find and nothing helps. Im starting to get desperate im thinking ive got a lovely paper weight.
It initially started playing up when i started it in the bootloader mode and then plugged in the usb cable, seemed to hang the screen backlight turned off and it wasnt exiting the bootloader.
I have no idea what is wrong and cant seem to find any fixes out there that will actually work thats why im asking you experts, hopefully someone can help me out or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks
dinamich

Post by dinamich »

One possible reason could be the wrong firmware. I guess you downloaded fw for Taranis+. Check that in Companion settings and re-download it again. Burn using zadig with radio tuurned off.

Btw Taranis CAN'T BE BRICKED.
projectkk2glider@github
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

As far as i know it was the taranis plus i dont really know i am using the latest 2.0.8 firmware and companion.
I have flashed the same to two different radios fine its just mine that isnt working (Typical)
one thing i noticed when i flash i can see that there is a DFU error in the details how do i fix that?
Sorry to be such a noob please help me to fix this as i think im the first to brick a Taranis (yay me)

Could you please post a link to the Taranis+ firmware you spoke of so as i may try that. if i try to download through companion it says no updates are available.
Attachments
Screen Shot.png
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

fatcnt wrote:Please can someone help my Taranis is not turning on now after flashing the firmware also. it seems to be stuck in bootloader mode as in the devices menu on my computer it shows up STM32 BOOTLOADER working properly.
I have flashed and flashed but it wont come back to life. Tried everything on this and any other threads i could find and nothing helps. Im starting to get desperate im thinking ive got a lovely paper weight.
It initially started playing up when i started it in the bootloader mode and then plugged in the usb cable, seemed to hang the screen backlight turned off and it wasnt exiting the bootloader.
I have no idea what is wrong and cant seem to find any fixes out there that will actually work thats why im asking you experts, hopefully someone can help me out or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks
Did you get this sorted?
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

no not yet
BieneFlyer

Post by BieneFlyer »

Hey Fatcnt

Did you buy the taranis here in Oz ?

If it's where i bought mine, they will go out of their way to help.
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

No HobbyKing
So yeah unfortunately I'm up a creek without a paddle.
Thanks anyway
Couldn't find any repairers in AUS even
BieneFlyer

Post by BieneFlyer »

I'm just a newb, but I'd bet a pound to a brick it's a firmware issue that can be sorted.

Good luck with it.
davx

Post by davx »

Hi,

@fatcnt,

My experience here:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=5700#p80910

Hope it helps.

Bye.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You won't have a Taranis PLUS yet. As it uses a different hardware arrangement the PLUS version of the firmware doesn't work on the standard Taranis.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Re: Re : taranis wont turn on

Post by Kilrah »

fatcnt wrote: one thing i noticed when i flash i can see that there is a DFU error in the details how do i fix that?
The capture you posted is perfectly normal (including the "error" before the interface reset).
What is the exact filename of the firmware file you're selecting and flashing to the radio?

Sent via mobile
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

opentx-taranis-en

Is the firmware I'm flashing
Was downloaded through companion
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Are you flashing with the linux version of companion?

You need to use at least dfu-util 0.7. For some reason most distros ship with 0.5 Result is an instant error on flash and radio does not boot.

Install the latest from here:

http://dfu-util.gnumonks.org/
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

No not using linux version im on a win8 machine
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Could Win8 be the problem then ?
Because I think most everything is being proved out on Win7. :?:
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

Don't think so ive done two other X9D's with no problems
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

Don't think so ive done two other X9D's with no problems
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

If you told companion you have Taranis Plus before downloading the firmware then that's a problem!! There are NO Taranis Plus for sale yet and the firmware is significantly different. To fix this you'll need to be sure you have Companion set up for Taranis - and download the firmware AGAIN. Burn using the DFU method (with TX off). This should take care of it.
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

No I didn't tell companion it was a plus isn't the default for companion 2.0.8 TARANIS X9D
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi
There is a year warranty with every new Taranis Radio.
You could try FrSky at: (http://frsky-rc.com/) for Warranty service and/or try CONTACT: Contact Us and/or Dealer: (http://frsky-rc.com/contact/contact.php).
Not sure if a FrSky Dealer in OZ land can help you with Warranty or not, worth a try: (http://frsky-rc.com/contact/dealer.php?area=4).
And maybe check the FrSky Forum also, it may be of some help with your FrSky Taranis Warranty.

Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Well, it's simple enough to make sure; just push the Image button and see what type of radio your Companion is set up for in the current Radio Profile.

mnem
*Pointing out "the incredibly obvious because the merely obvious simply will not do" since Nineteen-Mumblety-mumble*
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

Yeah I checked the preferences tab and made sure I had it set up properly downloaded the firmware again it installed fine but still no change
Its still dead. :cry:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Does anything come up on the display at all now?

Have you tried flashing it without the SD card installed? Without any module you may have installed? With a different USB cable in a different USB port and/or on a different PC? With the battery unplugged?

I know, more obvious stuff. Trying to rule out the basics first.

mnem
"Once you have ruled out the impossible; whatever remains, however improbable, must be so."
fatcnt

Post by fatcnt »

No nothing comes up on the screen at all there is no signs life except for a faint pop through the speaker when i turn the switch on.
Unfortunately i have yes tried each of those suggestions multiple times but to no avail. There' s still nobody home :cry:

the only thing i haven't tried yet is a win7 machine but i doubt that will make any difference unfortunately i think its DEAD
screams of hardware failure. I just hope i can get it replaced. :(

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”