Taranis binding internal module to X8R and X6R receivers

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
ImRich

Taranis binding internal module to X8R and X6R receivers

Post by ImRich »

I wasted a lot of time last night trying to bind a new Taranis to both the X8R and X6R receivers. So I thought I would share this here, in case it will save anyone else some time. ;)

These are new stock units. I don't know what firmware is on the receivers (I haven't found out how to check the Rx firmware version yet), but I just received the receivers this week (April, 2014) so they should be fairly recent production FrSky firmware.

This is coming from someone that has used both Futaba FASST and Spektrum DSMX receivers bind procedures in the past, So this is perhaps why I had trouble.

Of course, you should have the Taranis internal module in the correct mode (D16), and channel range (1-8), and Receiver number (1) for your application (note that the receiver number should be different for each model), the values I used are in ().

So first place the Taranis in bind mode via the menu on the Model Setup page.

Then, while holding down the 'FS' button on the receiver, turn on the power to the receiver (or connect an appropriate battey to it). At this point you will notice the Red and Green LEDs on with the RED LED flashing. Release the 'FS' button. Note that for the default 'telemetry on' mode, there is no need to connect any jumpers on the receiver. The RED LED flashing means that you had a successful BIND operation. If the red and green LEDs are on, but not flashing, then the bind did not occur. (do you have the transmitter in BIND mode?)

HERE IS THE CONFUSING PART: On Futaba and Spektrum receivers, when the receiver successfully achieves a bind with your transmitter, the receiver LED will stop flashing/blinking. This did not occur on the several X8R and X6R receivers I tried. So I kept thinking that the bind process was not working (it was working perfectly, but I just didn't realize it), because I kept retrying the procedure, looking for the blinking to stop! :oops: Maybe this is obvious to others, but to me, I was stuck in a fatal loop of trying this over and over on each receiver, thinking that I either had a bad Taranis transmitter, or a batch of bad receivers. :roll:

The next step is to shut off the power to the receiver (even though the LEDs are still flashing showing that you actually had a succefull bind).

Then turn off the 'Bind' mode on the Transmitter (press the 'exit' button).

Then power on the receiver again (without pressing the FS button), and the green LED should be on solid to indicate is has a link with your transmitter.

SUMMARY: With the current production firmware on the FrSky X8R and X6R receivers, don't wait for the LEDs to stop flashing when you are trying to bind them to your transmitter as the blinking actually means that the bind was successful! :oops:

I hope this will save someone else from wasting as much time as I wasted. It may even save a lot of support calls/emails. :)

:idea: If there ever is an update to the FrSky receiver firmware, I sure would like to see them change the binding LEDs to start blinking and then change to a solid (or at least a different blinking pattern) to indicate that they have bound successfully to your transmitter. Not to be the same as 'the other guys', but to give the user some sucessful feedback. If they don't want to do this, perhaps place a note on the web pages, and printed documentation to indicate that the user should not wait for the bind blinking pattern to stop, as this actually indicates a success!
Last edited by ImRich on Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis binding internal module to X8R and X6R receivers

Post by MikeB »

They do change. You are turning the Tx on and put it into bind mode first. The bind is so quick you don't see it happen.
If you switch the Rx on first, with the button pressed, the red LED will be on solid. When it binds, the red LED starts flashing.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

From the receiver manual..
2. Set X8R receiver in bind mode (see below chart for details), The RED LED on the receiver will flash,
indicating the binding process is completed
Not clear enough?
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

It's clear but for anyone brought up on DSM2, etc. it's counter-intuitive (meaning just not how we have always done it ;)). We have come to accept as a virtual law of physics that bind is signaled by a solid LED and that any kind of flashing is a warning that all is not as it should be. We also "know" that binding "always" takes several seconds. We could read that sentence three times and still be puzzled when the receiver flashes after binding.

Maybe the manual should say some thing a bit more emphatic, like: "Binding will take place almost instantly. The RED LED on the receiver will then be CONTINUOUSLY FLASHING to indicate successful bind."
ImRich

Post by ImRich »

Well, I suppose it's me then! Last night I read the manual 4 times while I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

So I just went and tested this again to see if I was just screwing up and I obviously I was! :oops: :oops: Obviously I was reading the words, but not understanding them, my brain simply made them say what I wanted to read, not what they actually said (I need to go back and re-read them again).

If you start with the Transmitter off (or not in BIND mode) then the X8R receiver (when pressing the F/S button on power up) starts with both its green and red LEDs on solid (Not blinking).

Then turn on the transmitter and place it into BIND mode and the red LED starts blinking (the green is still on).

So, as Daedalus56 said, it's counter-intuitive to how the other guys receivers work (I only own Futaba Fasst and Spektrum DSMX, I don't have any others so I can't say 'all' other receivers).

I'll go back and edit my original posting so as not to confuse anyone further. :oops:

ImRich

Post by ImRich »

Ok, I went back and checked the DOCs I was looking at. One that I checked was the Aloft Tarranis quick start guide (Dec.8, 2013 version). It mentions "the receiver's LED status light will flash indicating it's ready for binding.", so I can't be completly accused of not RTFM! :oops:

I just now downloaded the X8R manual and it says the XJT LED will flash showing it's in BIND mode, but the X8R will flash showing that the binding process is completed.

So I suppose I could say "too bad they didn't use the same convention for both, blinking indicates the transmitter module and the receiver are both in bind mode". :D But yes, I missed this in the manual, even though I read it about four times last night.

Mystery solved, but I still think it's a bit counter intuitive. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :lol:

:oops:
BadRaven

Post by BadRaven »

I bench bind Rx's with servos connected, regardless of make of Rx. After a bind attempt I wriggle the sticks...........
chelskipete

Post by chelskipete »

I've had no problem binding but can someone confirm that even if I change receiver number for each model if I have two models turned on the transmitter works both of them? I found this a little strange as I don't see point of having different receiver number? Have I missed something here????
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, a receiver only responds if the receiver number is the same as when binding.

Sent via mobile
chelskipete

Post by chelskipete »

Hi I bind V8FR-II receivers using jumper as transmitter is in D mode. So I bind using jumper.Even when I use different receiver numbers on transmitter all my receivers work when I plug my models in.... What am I doing wrong???
chelskipete

Post by chelskipete »

Opps being a spectrum user I wrongly assumed model match on Taranis. Getting used to this now.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The receiver number is only used when binding to a 'X' series receiver (X8R and X6R and X4R).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mak

Post by mak »

Dear Colleagues, first of all - as this is my first post here - welcome everyone and warm greetings from Poland :).

I have just recently bought Taranis X9D with X8R receiver and I do have problems with binding. I read carefully all previous posts in this thread and I start to think I have failed X8R or Taranis unit. I power up X8R holding F/S button and it gets into bind mode (both green and red LEDs are lit, so I assume it is model with new firmware). I have no jumpers on X8R. Then I go to model setup in Taranis (D16, channels 1-8) and press [BIND]. Unfortunately I cannot get red LED blinking under any circumstances: waiting long, going far away, etc :(.

Any ideas?
Last edited by mak on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simdor

Post by Simdor »

Hey Mak! Did you ever solve your problem, I've hit the exact same problem! According to people on RCgroups.com, Frsky and Ready Made RC, either the transmitter or receiver is faulty. Did you ever find out your problem?
funkz

Post by funkz »

Hello all, posting here as a shot in the dark since this is the only thread found where i could read about the x6r troubleshooting, so the issue:

My receiver binded correctly, i swap the antennas from PBC style to wisker. Then the receiver just turns on the red led while the green appears lightly dimmed. Doesn't matter i press the F/S bottom while plugging.. nothing changes the situation the receiver seems to be stuck or better bricked.

I have tried to read about flashing this receiver or the LED status but there's nothing about RED ON / GREEN OFF (dimmed).

I guess for the price my option is to get a new one, but before trashing this one i decided to give the forums a try.

Nice weekend to all and TIA for any pointer.

Tx!
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

funkz wrote: I have tried to read about flashing this receiver or the LED status but there's nothing about RED ON / GREEN OFF (dimmed).
Remember seeing that situation on an X6R here.
Wrong binding.

What setting did you choose?
Bildschirmfoto20.jpeg
funkz

Post by funkz »

kalle123, thanks for that img, where did you got it?
i'm pretty sure i have used D16 to bind since it was not possible to do so with the D8 setting on the interna Taranis Plus module.
Not sure bout telemetry but most likely it was ON. I only fly gliders (F3K) and have CH1-CH8 selected. Where I was kind of experimenting was on the Receiver Number option since I wanted to bind the radio to specific receivers. But as said before, the receiver binded OK and I was able to move a servo. Then proceeded to change antennas and after doing so... stuck on the RED ON GREEN DIMMED status.

I have tried all the jumper pin combinations and still same status condition.

Your email anyhow gives me hopes that I could find a way to perhaps flash the firmware and start again from zero. Havent found info about the chances for a user to do so.
funkz

Post by funkz »

Just to add, after rereading the manual... I have done just that what is expressed on the last line:

D16 (NO JUMPER) HOLD F/S WHILE CONNECTING BATTERY

When I try that again, the GREEN LED remains dimmed.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If not already done, I'd check very carefully that the new antennas are plugged in correctly, and/or put the original ones back on.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
funkz

Post by funkz »

Yes MikeB i have refitted the original PCB antennas before posting here. I have tried without antennas and combining them to no avail.

So i'm reading now about flashing but seems like i need some special electronics to do so...

Wish there will be some jumper combination that could show me another status, but is only Green Dimmed and RED ON all the time
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

Hi funkz.

Could you try D8 mode again please.

I remember, that I was messing around with binding and modes with a X6R here and I remember those LEDs (RED ON, GREEN dimmed)

Set the Taranis internal module on D8, click on BIND.

Have a jumper on signal CH 5 to CH 6. Put power on the X6R.

It worked here. And maybe have some distance between TX and RX ....

br to colombia :) You might recognize the flag :mrgreen:
Long time ago ....
Long time ago ....
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't use the Rx without and antennas. Since it is a telemetry Rx, it transmits as well. Operating a transmitter without antennas could damage the RF chip.
I've added the ability to flash SPort devices (Rxs and sensors) to ersky9x for the Taranis. This feature will be appearing in openTx soon(ish).
To use ersky9x to do this, see here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=6733#p93147.
You just need a 3 way cable with two signals swapping over.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Hi all
I just got my new Taranis with a X8R receiver. Used the Bind-procedure and it works all fine.
I have 2 extra receivers, also X8R and added a new model, found the page in the menu, it was assigned receiver no. 02, so I just tried to Bind it. Nothing happens. I hold down the F/S buuton and the red and green are constantly on. No matter what it will not change to flashing and it will not bind.
Tried with the receiver, same result.
Tried again with the first receiver and it Bind just fine, now as no 02.

What do I miss?
The receiver which came with the Taranis works fine, the others don't - thats strange if I got 2 broken at the same time.
--
Leonard, Denmark
http://rc.leonard.dk/

Using FrSKY Taranis X9E with OpenTX 2.1.8 non-EU
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Probably the Taranis and the receiver that came with it are both pre-2015 EU firmware in the Tx module and the Rx, while the extra Receivers are 2015 EU firmware.

To test, set the Tx into D8 mode and try binding the receivers in D8 mode using the details in this post: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=5345#p93214, to configure the receivers.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

I just read about it somewhere else and tryed with D8 and that works.
But that is not good enough because I want to use more than 8 channels and I want to use the numbers of the receivers, so I can leave one model with power on while driving with another.
So now I have to figure out if I can update the receivers or I have to return them and get some new ones instead.
--
Leonard, Denmark
http://rc.leonard.dk/

Using FrSKY Taranis X9E with OpenTX 2.1.8 non-EU
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Look back in this thread to this post: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=5345#p93230.
This links to how to upgrade the firmware on the Tx and/or SPort devices.
Just make sure the 3-way cable you use for SPort devices swaps over the power and ground wires.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
funkz

Post by funkz »

Kalle123, MikeB

Many thanks for taking the time to answer. I will try to bind again using D8 and the jumper between 5&6. More news soon.
Now re the vessel:

Name: Baltic Meridian
IMO: 7710927
Former name(s):
- Swan Lagoon (Until 2003 Aug)
- Pocahontas (Until 1993 Dec)
- Isla Plaza (Until 1986)
- Pocahontas (Until 1984)

Technical Data
Vessel type: Reefer
Gross tonnage: 10,424 tons
Summer DWT: 9,852 tons

I wonder how long is that trip?
funkz

Post by funkz »

kalle123 wrote: Set the Taranis internal module on D8, click on BIND.
Have a jumper on signal CH 5 to CH 6. Put power on the X6R.
It worked here. And maybe have some distance between TX and RX ....
Tried but no positive outcome. Distance at about 80cm. With and without the jumper.. the receiver is stuck on the Green (dimmed) Red ON status.

I will try to read and see what MikeB suggests, or wait until the new version is released.

Again, a nice weekend to all.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

funkz wrote: - Pocahontas (Until 1984)

Technical Data
Vessel type: Reefer
Gross tonnage: 10,424 tons
Summer DWT: 9,852 tons

I wonder how long is that trip?
Yes. Pocahontas is OK. I was "segundo machinista" on that banana boat.
Waiting for a load of Chiquitas at Turbo, Departamento de Antioquia in (I think) ~1981
:mrgreen:
funkz

Post by funkz »

ohh, please answer my question. how long did it took to cross the atlantic? yes, indeed.. getting back on topic:

-any other idea on what to do with a bricked x6r receiver? i guess answer is wait fot the next release of OpenTx and try the sbus firmware flash.

(i grew up in that province, Antioquia... but in the capital city: Medellin)

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”