FlySky (Turnigy) module use.

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
GeoffSleath

FlySky (Turnigy) module use.

Post by GeoffSleath »

I have a WLToys V911 helicopter I fly indoors over the winter. These are supplied with crude transmitters that use the FlySky protocol but I wanted to use my Taranis so I bought this module:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 65607.html

As recommended by Rob Thomson. Very inexpensive at $20 including postage.

It arrived yesterday but I had a problem binding it. There's zero documantation supplied and there's very little information on either the Turnigy or FlySky web sites. In fact the on-line manual for the FlySky transmitter refers to a 35Mhz unit and dated 2007! I'm glad the FrSky site is rather more helpful and relevant.

With a bit of help from my local friends I found this information on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bn954J3DAg

The binding information is near the end. You can turn down the sound as it's only irritating (to me) music. I also found this thread on a Turnigy 9Xr forum:

http://forum.turnigy9xr.com/turnigy-9xr ... -t449.html

I set the external module to PPM on the Taranis and found I only needed to invert the elevator control and it works perfectly. Channel order is the Futaba standard which I usually use anyway ie AETR for channels 1 through 4. Now with this module and an Orange Spektrum one I can use the Taranis for all my models and dispose of my Spektrum DX6i as well as WLToys 'toy' transmitter.

Geoff

MaineCapt

Re: FlySky (Turnigy) module use.

Post by MaineCapt »

Geoff... I've got a v929 and a Taranis coming in soon. I ordered the module you suggested and I'm wondering how you are making out with this setup after having it a month or so. Any additional hints for getting things operating smoothly?

Jim
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

I'm not Geoff, but I can tell you that the FS-TM002 module has worked perfectly with My Taranis for both the v912 and v929 since July. I previously used the module in my FlySky 9x with equal success. Nice thing with Taranis is to put triple rates on any of the 3 pos switches. Just a minor preference for me as I didn't like using the ID0/1/2 switch for rates on the 9x due to it's location.

Ted
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

G550Ted wrote:I'm not Geoff, but I can tell you that the FS-TM002 module has worked perfectly with My Taranis for both the v912 and v929 since July. I previously used the module in my FlySky 9x with equal success. Nice thing with Taranis is to put triple rates on any of the 3 pos switches. Just a minor preference for me as I didn't like using the ID0/1/2 switch for rates on the 9x due to it's location.

Ted
Ted, can you please tell me what setup are you using to fly the v912? I have the 9x with the er9x fw and the v911, v912, and the v913 and cannot find anything as for a setup to fly them. Please be specific with numbers and placement of each. Thanks
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Greywolf,

Here is my eeprom for the v912. Note that I have cross trims programmed and use the sticky throttle cut.

HTH,

Ted
Attachments
Greywolf.eepe
(77.03 KiB) Downloaded 982 times

Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

G550Ted wrote:Greywolf,

Here is my eeprom for the v912. Note that I have cross trims programmed and use the sticky throttle cut.

HTH,

Ted
Thanks Ted, but I cannot get it to open in either eepe or companion.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

The file is a C9x product. I just tested it again by double clicking on the attachment and it immediately opens C9x and the file with no problem. Should also work for you.

Ted
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Also opens fine in the latest C9X.
BTW this is an openTx eeprom. It will need some fixing to use it on ER9X.
Swaggerjacker

Post by Swaggerjacker »

My Taranis has no problem flying the V912. But it seems the trim buttons do nothing for the model. My tail isn't holding (slowly yaws to the right) and no amount of trimming helps. Actually, none of the trim buttons work. I'm going to dig into it. Until then, does anyone have an idea as to what might be amiss? Besides my knowledge. ;)

Steve
ourblue

Post by ourblue »

If you are using the epee downloaded from the templates check the trims as they have been mixed up The elevator trim works the throttle and the aileron trim works the rudder! Easily changed in the transmitter.
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

OK here I go again. I now have the Taranis in hand. I have the FS-TM002 module. I have made sure the module alines with the pins correctly in the Taranis. I set up a new model for the v911 and set external mod for ppm and turned off internal mod. I turn on the v911 till the red led flashes fast, then hold bind button on module and turn on radio. Little red led goes to slow blink and release button and turn off radio then turn radio back on. Heli does NOTHING. I tried flashing the above eeprom and it still does nothing. I have tried with all 3 helis, v911, v912 and the v913. Turn off the Taranis and all 3 work with their respective radio. Can anyone please help me get them to work with my Taranis? Please
Greywolf

Post by Greywolf »

I finally figured it out. I had to setup a new model for each heli. All I had to do was set the elevator to -100 on each one and kept the tx at least 3 ft away from the heli and it bound and works great. Now if I can figure out how to get my MJX F-45 to bind and fly with the Taranis, I will be able to eliminate 4 transmitters when I go to play. I now run 3 planes and a G2 and 3 heli's with my Taranis with the help of the Flysky module.
Nuuka

Post by Nuuka »

After reading many threads about the Taranis binding with V911 I still have open questions. I hope someone can answer even to some of them.

I have the new WLtoys V911-pro model http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V911-V2- ... 86120.html.
And I have Taranis Plus version opentx-x9dp-v2.0.9 with a radio module ordered from http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-FS-GT ... 66598.html. The radio module has a label text FS-RM002. I have seen pictures of the module with the text FS-TM002 and FS-RM002 but I assume both are compatible with V911 and V911-pro. Am I right?

When I insert the battery to V911 the red led will blink four seconds rapidly, five seconds very rapidly and then after that slowly. When I press the bind button when powering up the Taranis the sound greeting 'Welcome to Open TX' starts almost immediately while showing the OpenTX start screen for three seconds, after that FrSky screen is splashed for 2 seconds and after that the main screen is shown. How exactly should the battery insertion and the powering up be timewise syncronized? Which phases should coincide?

Is there any immediate indication of a successful binding? Like a beeb from the Taranis or new kind of blinking in the V911?

Do I have to power off both the Taranis and the V911 after the binding? If so, is the order of powering off and back on again important. If so, what is the proper order?
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Nuuka,

I have not tried the Taranis with the FS-GT3 FS-TH9X Transmitter Module.
But I think you would want in your v911 Model Setup to have External RF: ON and your Internal RF set to: OFF.
External RF Mode set to: PPM and Channel Range set to: CH1-8.

If I remember correctly, with your FS-GT3 FS-TH9X Transmitter Module you will first press and hold the bind button on,
while powering up your Taranis Radio. After the Radio is fully booted release the bind button.
Next power up your v911, and what I do is move my throttle control stick up and down looking for the motors to come to life.

For me using the t9x Radio with er9x firmware, it takes on average three tries before I have a successful bind.
Sometimes it will take several more attempts then three tries for a successful binding.
I find the binding process is sometimes finicky and other times it may work with the first try.

I am not sure if the V911-Pro will bind or not, so I would suggest working with your v911 to start with.
When the v911 is powered up, it looks for a compatible transmitter to connect to.
It also helps to have another person to help when powering everything up.

Yes you can try powering down and up again, that is the normal process, but I have had it bind without powering down and up sometimes.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Nuuka

Post by Nuuka »

Bob, I appreciate that you are trying to help.

I do have the V911-pro Model Setup as you suggested. After more than 20 tries with various timings of powering up the Taranis and the V911 there isn't any sign of binding. No beebs, no change in V911 led flash behaviour, no movement of any servos in the V911 not even interference noise in the Taranis speaker. Aren't there any other indication of the successful binding in addition to seeing that the servos can be moved?

I do know that the V911 works, because it works with the transmitter that came in the RTF bundle. I do know that the Taranis external radio module interface works because I can bind a Blade Nano CPX with the OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 module. I'm beginning to believe that my FlySky FS-TM002 is faulty. Maybe it was DOA or maybe I broke it when inserted it in the Taranis module slot. I have read that the JR connector solderings may break easily due to a bit too long FS-TM002 connector component that may exert too much pressure on the PCB. I did already take a quick look at the FS-TM002 PCB but didn't see anything suspicious but didn't yet verify by measurements that the solderings are ok.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

If you are going to measure maybe the following pictures can assist you

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6754

Reinhard
Nuuka

Post by Nuuka »

Unread postby ReSt » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:51 pm

If you are going to measure maybe the following pictures can assist you

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6754

Reinhard
Yes, definitely the pictures did assist. I think I have found the reason for malfunction but I'm a bit confused though.

The battery voltage and ground pins in your pictures do not match with other pictures I found from net.
E.g. on http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... Mods/page2 there is a picture
There the ground is on pin 4 (when counting pins from the centre of the PCB). In the pictures in your link the ground is on pin 2.

I measured that in the pins of the Taranis JR Module connector the voltage between pins 4 and 3 is 7.8V and the voltage between 4 and 2 is 1.5V. This seems to indicate that the pin 3 is the battery voltage and the pin 2 is +6V. When I plug the FlySky FS-TM002 module in the slot with the back panel removed and measure the voltages from the PCB from the connector solderings both measurements (pins 4-3 and pins 4-2) give 0V. When I remove the black plastic case from the FlySky FS-TM002 PCB completely and plug the PCB in the Taranis connector the measurements are pins 4-3: 7,8V and pins 4-2: 0V. I conclude that the Taranis module connector pins do not enter in the FlySky FS-TM002 module connector at all or the connection of at least some of the pins is bad.

Now my challenge is to find how to ensure the alignment of the connectors. It is worth noting that I did have problems also in plugging the OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 module in the Taranis. It is unfortunate that the JR Module connection can not be visually verified when the module is plugged in.

Edit 2015-01-02: I'm happy to tell that the problem is solved. What I did was that I put a piece of tape in the back of the FlySky FS-TM002 module on top of the connector slot. Then I plugged the module in the Taranis, deplugged it and inspected where the Taranis pins had cut the holes in the tape. I could see that all of the pins missed the FlySky FS-TM002 module connector almost by 1 mm.
The slack of the module case slot for the connector was roughly 0.5mm on both sides. I made the slot wider by cutting about 0.5mm away from one side (the cenre side i.e. not the edge side) and inserted a 1mm piece of plastic as a wedge at the other side that forced the connector about 1 mm towards centre.

I turned the power up in the Taranis and could hear a slight speaker interference noise. A good sign.

Then I tried binding the V911-pro. My couple of tries alone did not succeed. Then with the help of my wife we syncronized the V911 battery insertion and powering up the Taranis in bind mode so that we did both at the same time. The we removed the V911 battery, powered off and on again the Taranis and voilà, the binding turned out to have succeeded with the first try, the controls of the transmitter did move servos. No beebs or other intermediate signs were noticed before that.

I hope that telling how my connector problem was found and solved as well as how the successful binding was done helps others facing similar problems.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Nuuka wrote: The battery voltage and ground pins in your pictures do not match with other pictures I found from net.
E.g. on http://fpv-community.de/showthread.php? ... Mods/page2 there is a picture.....

There the ground is on pin 4 (when counting pins from the centre of the PCB). In the pictures in your link the ground is on pin 2.
There may be some differences in the modules.
That picture is in line with the module I have in my TGY9x

And there, pins 2, 4 and 5 are connected to ground within the module.

Reinhard
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The offcial ground pin is pin 4. Pins 2 and 5 on the 9x radio are sometimes used for the telemetry mod and must be isolated from ground..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
GeoffSleath

Post by GeoffSleath »

G550Ted wrote:I'm not Geoff, but I can tell you that the FS-TM002 module has worked perfectly with My Taranis for both the v912 and v929 since July. I previously used the module in my FlySky 9x with equal success. Nice thing with Taranis is to put triple rates on any of the 3 pos switches. Just a minor preference for me as I didn't like using the ID0/1/2 switch for rates on the 9x due to it's location.

Ted
I haven't been around for a while because I've been 'off'' RC for most of 2014 - it happens, I guess. Gone back to cycling before I get too old (I'll be 75 on Monday :( ) To get back into RC I'm building a scale sailing barge and I'm doing a bit of indoor flying over the winter. The barge will, of course, be FrSky controlled :)

Anyway, I've just received the V912 heli I ordered just before Xmas and been struggling to bind it to my Taranis/FS-TM002 combination. I eventually tried binding to a real WLToys transmitter that I got with my little indoor quad last year and hadn't ever switched on before. That worked OK but I had to re-bind every time I switched off the heli. I retried with my Taranis and just switched off and back on leaving the heli still powered up and it worked. The problem is that I seem to have to rebind every time. The V912 receiver 'forgets' which transmitter it's bound to and needs to be reminded each time. Not a huge imposition but a little irritating. Is that how it usually works?

I've just copied and renamed my V911 set up which I hope will OK but I haven't actually flown the V912 yet. One thing that is a bit inconvenient is the battery location which makes it difficult to swap with a fully charged one. Some modification will be required, I think.

Geoff
Gary39

Post by Gary39 »

I want to thank everyone on this forum for their help. My module came yesterday, had my radio all setup according to you guys, and after taping the pins to make sure they lined up ( which they did ) and it bound first try just like the originals. My v929 and v949 fly great. Gary Howe
biomecanoid

Post by biomecanoid »

I know i am reviving an old thread, But i need to verify compatibility of the FS-RM002 Module.

I have ordered the WLtoys F959 Sky King :

http://www.gearbest.com/other-rc-toys/p ... html?wid=3

and since i have a proper Tx the Turnigy 9XR Pro i would like to use that with the FS-RM002 to control my new plane.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Flysk ... 66598.html

Will this work ?
NorCal

Post by NorCal »

I to am late to the party. Has anyone have anything new to add regarding flying the V911 w/ the Taranis. I've got both on order & need to order the FS-TM002 Module. Any recommendations where to buy the FS-TM002 Module?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You might also consider the "4-in-1" module that handles many different protocols, not just Flysky, as it gives you more options for the future. It does, however, need some effort as you will very likely need to update the firmware on it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bob195558

Re: FlySky (Turnigy) module use.(Multiprotocol TX Module)

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
Am looking at banggood.com: (http://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-A71 ... mywishlist).
Multiprotocol TX Module
Multiprotocol TX Module
I believe this is the "4-in-1" module and there is an option to select, Model: Flysky, FrSky and JR ?
I am thinking they will all fit the 9x radios rear module socket and all would have the same firmware.
I may have missed and/or did not find why there is a difference.
What is the difference or reason for selecting between Flysky, FrSky and JR ?

(Edit) found this Note: The module version depends on your transmitter brand,
if your transmitter brand is JR, then please choose JR version,
the Flysky version is specially for Flysky TH9X transmitter,
the other brands transmitter can choose FrSky.

So then it depends on what 9x radio you choose to use this Multiprotocol-TX-Module in ?

Also what (Multiprotocol-TX-Module) Module selection would be proper to choose for 9Xtreme
and Sky9x and AR upgrade boards ? :?:

More info: Case for - Multi Protocol TX Transmitter Module Case for FrSky,
FlySky Transmitter: (http://www.banggood.com/Multi-Protocol- ... mds=search).

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Bob, if you want really good information about the MultiProtocol module, this is the place to start reading :) Not the Banggood Website :) ;)

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -TX-Module

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Use this thread for info about the ready built module:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... vo-DSM2%29

The description page on banggood is useless as usual.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”