Can't flash Taranis...

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Pilotmike

Re: Can't flash Taranis...

Post by Pilotmike »

I bought a Taranis almost a year ago but haven't gotten around to using it until recently. I thought that I should update the firmware. Well it took me all day long going through the processes described in the previous pages of posts - all to no avail. By the end of the day the Taranis wouldn't even turn on any more. My brand new computer with USB 3.0 connectors wasn't able to connect properly. As a last ditch effort I thought I'd try the USB 2.0 connector that's part of the old keyboard that I had plugged into my new computer. Problem solved!!! The firmware downloaded to the Taranis without a hitch. All systems are now functioning normally and the new firmware has been installed!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good news, good work! Yes, it can be difficult the first time. USB and w8 doesn't help either.
Look up opentx university, it's really has a lot of current helpful information cataloged to bring you up to speed. Much better than reading several hundred posts (thousands).
PeterWeb

Post by PeterWeb »

In the same vein, some Taranis Plus good news, in case it helps someone else who uses Win 7/64 or similar:

After working with a 9x for months, I thought I was familiar with C9x.

With my shiny new Taranis Plus connected in Bootloader mode, the firmware backup seemed to go well, likewise writing the new firmware, and writing my saved models.

But upon disconnection, it behaved like a brick - no action on power on.

After sifting many threads here, I learned to use DFU mode by connecting the transmitter with no battery inside (reassuring USB sound and successful driver hunt), and to verify that STM BOOTLOADER was showing in devices (it was). But writing the firmware again while in this mode failed, with the DFU utility reporting "Cannot open device".

More rummaging in threads, finding the above post mentioning OpenTx university (http://open-txu.org). And that described the Zadig utility, which might be useful to ensure that my Windows had the right USB driver.

GOOD, progress - except the "intro to Zadig" topic has a bad link to a Zadig checklist PDF. No matter, the next Zadig topic in the University spelled it all out nicely, including a link to the Zadig website. With some trepidation I told Zadig to replace the default STM BOOTLOADER driver with the one it proposed.

Presto! All good: Companion now updates the firmware via the DFU Utility, and the Taranis Plus functions fine (looks like the models were successfully written earlier also).

Much relief, on with calibration, binding etc. THANK YOU to those who bother to report their tries and successes, and who develop documentation like the University.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

You can also tell windows to load the stm32 driver directly in place of dfu and forget Zadig. A search for it lead me to the opentx wiki as I remember where it was posted as the direct option if Zadig messed up. Zadig was sort of a pain but now having a saved stm32 on my thumb drive, I use that when needed.
I haven't checked otxU to see if that option is offered but if not it should be.
What ever works is the best answer of course.
SM
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I have a new video for this topic -- Can be seen @ http://youtu.be/hVWwInEAsa0

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

OK... I'm having the same problems as some here. I was using Companion 9x with my Taranis, making changes for a couple of hours... then, all of a sudden, I couldn't find the radio? Zadig no longer has an STM selection available. When I plug my radio into the USB, I get no "beep beep" indicating that a new device is present. I don't see anything on the device manager either. I tried doing the manual route by downloading https://code.google.com/p/companion9x/d ... p&can=2&q=, but still... no joy.

Can anyone help with this??
zanthor

Post by zanthor »

Dear god I wish I had found this page when I was trying to get this issue solved! Instead I muddled through it and got the same results in probably 3x the time it should have taken!
edwoodza

Post by edwoodza »

HI
I followed the instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVWwInEAsa0 all went well until the end.
see the error on the image attached
while writing the firmware it comes up saying
File has no DFU suffix
Not valid DFU suffix signature.

when i look in device manage i only see the STM32 bootloader. and do not see the drive (flash card) in device manager or file manager as a mounted drive.

The unit does not power up now at all.

HELP please. am starting to regret updating. the old adage if it aint broke dont fix it is so true
Attachments
err.png
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi edwoodza,
I do not use opentx, but here is some of the things to try.
1) With power switch off unplug battery for several seconds and then retry powering up.
2) Remove SD card and try powering up. (check your battery voltage also)

Did you use the correct opentx firmware ?

Someone who uses opentx and/or with better understanding, will be able to help more, if these suggestions do not help.
(maybe try flashing erSky9x on Taranis firmware if able to power Taranis up again, you may find less troubles)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
jtaylor

Post by jtaylor »

edwoodza wrote:HI
I followed the instructions at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVWwInEAsa0 all went well until the end.
see the error on the image attached
File has no DFU suffix

when i look in device manage i only see the STM32 bootloader. and do not see the drive (flash card) in device manager or file manager as a mounted drive.

The unit does not power up now at all.

HELP please. am starting to regret updating. the old adage if it aint broke dont fix it is so true
You're not giving enough information.

1. Which transmitter Taranis, Taranis Plus, X9E?
2. What version was on it before the upgrade?
3. What version were you trying to upgrade to?
4. What version of Companion are you using to upgrade?
4. How and where did you download the upgrade file and what is the filename of the upgrade file you upgraded with?

Jim
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

edwoodza wrote: see the error on the image attached
File has no DFU suffix
These errors are normal and can be ignored, this shows a perfectly correct flash. Are you sure you chose the right firmware type for your radio?
theduncandan

Post by theduncandan »

I have a Taranis ACCST that has not ever been connected to a computer. I can find STM Device in DFU Mode But Zadig does not give me the option of changing the driver to STM 32 Bootloader. My radio has OPENTX-x9d-V1.1.02. Any suggestion? Thanks
theduncandan

Post by theduncandan »

Thanks anyway, I figured it out.
ThompsonJim

Linux Mint 17.3 and Taranis.

Post by ThompsonJim »

I ordered a Taranis just today, it will be a couple of weeks before I get it.
I would like to do some reading about getting my Linux Mint operating system to talk to the Taranis.
I hope I am not posting in the wrong place, my apologies up front if I am. Please admonish me a direct me to where I should post, if that should be the case.
I am over posting on rcgroups FrSky thread. It's far too long to be relevant to the beginner.

Jim.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”