Can't flash Taranis...

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
punkindrublik

Can't flash Taranis...

Post by punkindrublik »

I just got my radio today, I hooked it up to my computer tonight and everything seemed to install alright. That was just a test run, so I went back to flash it again with the settings that I wanted. Now my computer (Win7) won't allow me to burn to the Tx. At first I got errors stating that the "DFU capable device cannot be located". I've uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted and banged my head on the desk til I'm blue in the face and now the error has changed. It reads: "Opening DFU capable USB device... Cannot open device". I've tried everything. The guys at RCG couldn't help me come up with an explanation either, so I'm hoping you guys can.

Yes, the transmitter was turned off when connected.
Yes, I'm sure it flashed the first time as I didn't change the settings to mode 1 (so my Tx switched to mode 2) and I didn't load sound files and the Tx was quiet.

Please help!

Thanks in advance...

Brian
Last edited by punkindrublik on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilrah

Re: Can't flash Taranis...

Post by Kilrah »

Can you check in the device manager if you have this entry when the radio is powered off and connected?
devman.png
Flashing the firmware can't change mode.
punkindrublik

Post by punkindrublik »

No, mine says "STF Device in DFU Mode"
punkindrublik

Post by punkindrublik »

Should have just done this in the first place...
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OK, then Zadig hasn't replaced the driver. What have you done exactly?

As there is already a driver installed for the device, you will need to "List All Devices" in Zadig, then select STM32 BOOTLOADER, and click Replace Driver.
zadig_with_ST_driver.png
You should then get a Success message, and then find STM32 BOOTLOADER in the device manager like in the capture I posted above.
zadig_success.png

punkindrublik

Post by punkindrublik »

You are a rockstar Kilrah!

THANK YOU!!
punkindrublik

Post by punkindrublik »

Well, it only worked one time. Now I'm getting the error again. I just tried to run zadig again to do what you posted above, and it's not listing the STM32 BOOTLOADER when I view all devices. Sigh...
punkindrublik

Post by punkindrublik »

Scratch that. I just rebooted my computer, ran zadig AGAIN, did what you posted AGAIN and seemed to have stuck this time. I just flashed 4 times in a row.

Thanks again for all the help!

Brian
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Working with W7, great news! I'll using the tips to give it a try by the weekend.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

I am PO'd, and FrSky is going to have to do something different/better about this driver issue! :x

I'm no programmer by any means but I can find my way around a 'puter better than most. I'm running Win XP SP3 32 bit because all follow on versions suck IMO. That said, I downloaded and ran the zadig xp.exe file from the FrSky site a couple of weeks ago. Despite MANY different attempts I was unable to get an option to the STM32 BOOTLOADER to show in the devices options drop down box as supposedly required to be able to flash. I even downloaded zadig xp.exe from other sites without success of seeing the STM32 BOOTLOADER option. All that was ever available was an option for "STF Device in DFU Mode".

With "C:/Program Files/companion9x/dfu-util.exe" as the DFU-UTIL Location in the c9x configuration, and with a correct path verified I could not successfully flash a FW. I kept getting an error pop-up box and an abort. Being crazy, I kept trying to flash after reloading zadig xp.exe from different sites, restarting my 'puter and trying who knows what until with apparently no rhyme or reason I got a successful flash.

I am not the first, and will not be the last to have driver problems, and this is not going to bode well for a lot of users of Taranis! Unfortunately, I don't have a solution or suggestion to resolve this issue because I can't figure out what monkey motion is going on in what should be a straight-forward process.

Rant over.

Ted
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

If you have a problem then ask, instead of spending days on it...

Connect the radio, go to the device manager, In USB bus controllers from what you say you should have "STM Device in DFU Mode". Right click on that, choose update driver, "No, not this time" about searching online, "Install driver from a specified location", "Don't search, I'll choose the driver to install", and then if you ran Zadig successfully You should have an "STM32 BOOTLOADER" entry that you can choose in addition to the current "STM Device in DFU Mode". Select it and and click next. If not download this, unzip it, and in the driver install window click "Have Disk" and choose the folder where you unzipped.

And by the way this is NOT FrSky's method, it's companion9x method. FrSky method requires the "STM Device in DFU Mode" driver, so you'd have been up and running for official updates already.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Curiously... A huge number of people have no issue getting the driver to work.

It does seem that some machines have issues - but no idea why. Maybe some kind of conflict with another driver on the system. Difficult to tell for certain!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Kilrah wrote:If you have a problem then ask, instead of spending days on it...

Connect the radio, go to the device manager, In USB bus controllers from what you say you should have "STM Device in DFU Mode". Right click on that, choose update driver, "No, not this time" about searching online, "Install driver from a specified location", "Don't search, I'll choose the driver to install", and then if you ran Zadig successfully You should have an "STM32 BOOTLOADER" entry that you can choose in addition to the current "STM Device in DFU Mode". Select it and and click next. If not download this, unzip it, and in the driver install window click "Have Disk" and choose the folder where you unzipped.

And by the way this is NOT FrSky's method, it's companion9x method. FrSky method requires the "STM Device in DFU Mode" driver, so you'd have been up and running for official updates already.
Exactly my point but not the result. I did run Zadig exactly as you describe here and in previous discussions. A simple process that never resulted in me seeing the option for STM32 BOOTLOADER. Then trying to use the STM Device in DFU Mode driver obtained from FrSky the attempts to flash failed again and again similar to what Brian (punkindrublik) experienced. I'll look at this again when I have time. Appreciate the help as always.

Ted
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I'm fuzzy on what I did successfully last night but I remember this
XP install,
I downloaded the XP Zadig driver install and it did install and show up in my device manager.
I then updated to the latest c9x, downloaded and saved the latest Taranis FW.
When I tried to do a FW read I got an error as I remember. I went into the config drop down and noticed the location name for dfu was wrong. I used the browse option and selected the correct path and dfu exe name. Next time everything worked ok.
It can't hurt to verify the path and name after the install. Next will be my w7 computer install and I'll make better install notes.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Sheesh... I misspoke. I'm not a geek (by a long shot), just a nerd. I just now spent too much time once again following Kilrah's instructions from Friday. I downloaded the file in the link to my companion9x folder, unzipped it, completed the installation instructions and LO, there appeared the STM32 BOOTLOADER option (the only one there) and set it to replace the STM Device in DFU Mode. At least that is as I recall, but I followed the installation through to completion. A glimmer of light?

Now to open the Device Manager again and... NO STM Device in DFU Mode or STM32 BOOTLOADER anywhere! OK, over to c9x and can't find it through there either using the Configuration menu setup box thingy. The DFU Util Location still pointed at the path previously set to the dfu-util.exe so I did another successful FW burn to confirm that still worked.

For me, for now, I'm forgetting all about this STM32 BOOTLOADER stuff as dfu-util.exe is working as of now. How and why is beyond fuzzy because of all the failures I originally encountered with dfu-util.exe to work initially. I have to say that I have never been stymied like this ever before and that is my whole point. If even a small percentage of Taranis buyers have problems like this it will be front page news on every model site and will hurt FrSky's reputation big time. As I said before, FrSky is going to have to do something different/better about this driver issue!

Ted
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Can we clarify something.

This is not frsky's way of doing things. They use their own method in the product manual they provide.

This is companion9x's way of doing it.

Curiously - it has worked first time for me on three different computers!

Rob
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

G550Ted wrote: If even a small percentage of Taranis buyers have problems like this it will be front page news on every model site and will hurt FrSky's reputation big time. As I said before, FrSky is going to have to do something different/better about this driver issue!
As said before this is companion9x /opentx method you use to change to OpenTx, and thus leave the official Frsky firmware and support.
FrSky's method is explained in the package you can download from their site. And they probably expect the vast majority of users not to actually bother updating the firmware.

Sent via mobile
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

Hi Kilrah. I see one thing in the manual that might help people installing the Windows driver. You might repeat "The first thing to do is to power your radio off and connect it to your computer's USB port." under the installing the driver heading. I jumped straight to installing the driver and missed the fact that the radio needed to be connected for a couple of minutes, and the STM32 BOOTLOADER option certainly does not show when the transmitter is not connected. It was my fault for not reading thoroughly, and it worked great after connecting the radio. I actually use my mac, but wanted to try the windows install for the experience.

Thanks again for all you fellas do! Great stuff!

Ken
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Rob Thomson wrote:Can we clarify something.

This is not frsky's way of doing things. They use their own method in the product manual they provide.

This is companion9x's way of doing it.

Curiously - it has worked first time for me on three different computers!

Rob
That's all well and good except I began this goat rope by following the FrSky process. Everything went smoothly with all of the install blah, blah, etc., and dfu-util.exe showed a correct path in c9x configure box. Unfortunately, all attempts to flash ended quickly in a error just as a couple of others have experienced. Somewhere along the way of the third or fourth careful re-install with no apparent changes in the process it mysteriously started to work. Could have been me, but still...

Ken's (w4kac) post about waiting for a couple of minutes (set a specific time) may be a clue to avoid the problem. I don't know what is happening during the period after the first connection as it cant be seen. Maybe someone could explain.

Again, I'm up and running but I hope something can be done to make this a non-event for every user not just 95% of Taranis buyers.

Thanx for all the help.

Ted
w4kac

Post by w4kac »

Hi Ted. I only meant that it took a couple minute for me to realize that the transmitter had to be attached to install the driver. I was on XP Pro by the way. Sure wish I knew what to tell you on your problem.

Ken
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Ahh, OK. Thanx for clearing up that point.

Ted
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

G550Ted wrote:That's all well and good except I began this goat rope by following the FrSky process. Everything went smoothly with all of the install blah, blah, etc., and dfu-util.exe showed a correct path in c9x configure box. Unfortunately, all attempts to flash ended quickly in a error just as a couple of others have experienced.
You are again confusing the FrSky way and companion9x way.

For the FrSky way you download their package, and install the "DfuSe_Demo_V3.0.3_Setup" which installs both the "STM device in DFU mode" driver and a "DfuSe Demontration" program. You are then supposed to use this program to flash a .dfu file supplied by FrSky (there is none newer than the ones the radio came from and are in the package at this point), by following the instructions from the FrSky package ("How-to for upgrading TARANIS.pdf").

At no time do you use companion9x nor dfu-util, just forget about them and ignore the openTx manual instructions. FrSky never talk about companion9x.

IF you want to switch to "vanilla openTx", then completely forget about the FrSky way and packages, install companion9x, and read the openTx manual.

You've been doing a bit of both, downloaded and installed the FrSky package (probably without reading the instructions :roll: ) then tried to use C9X with that.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

No confusing the instructions at all. I went through the process detailed by FrSky with the failures I have described knowing nothing about the "openTx" method until you suggested that way. I then followed your directions explicitly and that also failed repeatedly. No, I didn't confuse or combine the two methods, and I don't do anything without thoroughly reading and understanding what I'm undertaking. No matter now, I am able to flash and that's all that matters.

Ted
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Having several sky board versions and er9x radios and now the Taranis I'm finding that I keep confusing when the tx should be on, off, powered on and then connected to my USB port. All of these steps work if I do them in the correct order. My thinking is to use my lable maker add the proper sequences for each tx and programs on the inside of my battery cover. That and of course some dedicated doc files. Maybe something for c9x to add to each flash profile? A little popup reminding what the read, flash, and sd card access steps are?
I'm thinking of those that are a little confused or computer challenged that are getting into any of these radios and the programs for the first time from using hard coded radios.
I use a very scientific method, I fiddle with it and push every button many times and click on everything. If that doesn't work I beg for help here. Works every time!
SM
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I haven't had time to do anything with my production Taranis, but I just thought I would now update the firmware. Tried from C9X, failed, tried using dfu-util on the command line, failed, both with "cannot find device". I clearly have a STM bootloader device available.
Plugged my pre-production unit in, same STM bootloader device, same VID, same PID, same version, programs immediately. Unplug that, and plug in the production unit, fails again. OS is WIN 7 64-bit.

Do we have a problem with the driver locking to a particular processor chip, seems odd. Maybe we do. I just plugged in the original prototype board, again I get a STM bootloader device, but again it dfu-util fails to find it.

This may cause problems in the future if someone has two Taranis transmitters.

Mike.

Edit: Not wanting to mess with drivers at the moment, I've "cheated" and used the serial port and done the update using that.
For info, I used the STM "Flash Loader Demonstrator" I already had installed, and the cable from a standard RS232 port I had already made up. I then power the Tx from the USB port using a "USB charger" device that supplies 5 volts, but no USB signals. Messy, but as I had previously programmed the prototype like this I had everything to hand, much quicker than fighting windows, drivers etc.

Edit2: In the interests of all users, I plugged the production unit in and then ran Zadig and updated the driver. Now it programs OK, as does the pre-production unit. So it does look like you can't just plug another Taranis in and expect to be able to program it without updating the driver.
I ran Regedit and I clearly have three devices in the USB enum list under the Taranis VID and PID, only one had the classGUID for the STM BOOTLOADER, the other two were DFU BOOT DEVICE, but Win 7 devices and printers showed STM BOOTLOADER for all three devices, device manager in control panel only had the one.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Mike,

You probably didn't read the instructions! Just kidding, you know that. :mrgreen:

There is an issue with drivers for some users/computers/whatever. I'm not savvy enough to identify the problem, but a change of some sort has to be made to resolve it to an iron-clad plug and play method before those other than us 'open source nuts' start taking delivery of their Taranis. The FW is a high enough hurdle for new users, and to compound that with driver issues is going to seriously hurt the product's reputation IMO.

Ted
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes, you need to re-run Zadig everytime you get a new radio, but then there is no problem. My 3 boards program fine.

The USB enumeration includes the processor's serial number, so they're likely recognised as being different devices.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Good to I now! I'm sure me and my netbook will be busy at my local field when others start taking delivery later this year. I'm one of the few I'm told in my area so I'll be ready.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

MikeB wrote:I haven't had time to do anything with my production Taranis, but I just thought I would now update the firmware. Tried from C9X, failed, tried using dfu-util on the command line, failed, both with "cannot find device". I clearly have a STM bootloader device available.
Plugged my pre-production unit in, same STM bootloader device, same VID, same PID, same version, programs immediately. Unplug that, and plug in the production unit, fails again. OS is WIN 7 64-bit.

Do we have a problem with the driver locking to a particular processor chip, seems odd. Maybe we do. I just plugged in the original prototype board, again I get a STM bootloader device, but again it dfu-util fails to find it.

This may cause problems in the future if someone has two Taranis transmitters.

Mike.

I just got my production Taranis TODAY :D . I had the same thing as you. I was really surprised because I have a very late preproduction box - or almost first production box. I cussed and tried it a couple (several) times -- stymied I finally went to device manager - removed the STM bootloader driver - power cycled everything - plugged in transmitter and did zadig.ext again -- and magically it worked. I've no idea what I did that made a difference. Was it removing the driver in device manager? maybe. Was it cuss? maybe.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No, as mentioned you just needed to run zadig.

Sent via mobile

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”