Taranis default channel order

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Raythegreat

Post by Raythegreat »

Hi,

For the Taranis and open TX, since the MIXER menu can place any order of channel we wish, what is the role of the Default Channel order in the radio setup?

I have never bothered with this order and placed my channels order in the MIXER menu and it always worked.
If for example I have the iRangeX module I place my channels order AETR in the MIXER menu regardless of the channel order in the radio setup.
So what is the goal exactly of this DEFAULT CHANNEL ORDER if we can replace the channels in the MIXER menu?

Thx
RTG

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

It’s exactly what it says it is — the default order. Do you want the order to be picked at random when you create a new model? [emoji3]

Sorry. Of course you’re right that you can choose to use any order with FrSky, but the OpenTX firmware serves on a variety of transmitters, including the Taranis, 9x, 9XR Pro, etc. that can use a DSMX protocol module that normally requires TAER order. So it’s a real convenience to be able to choose that, for example, as the default.

The other choice would have been to not have the firmware create a four-channel model as a starting point. That would be needlessly confusing. Many beginners are at a loss when they find that there’s no ready made Gear switch. Think of the panic if they found that even the sticks did nothing until you programmed them? “Help, my new transmitter doesn’t work.” [emoji3]
Raythegreat

Re: Taranis default channel order

Post by Raythegreat »

Thanks Daedalus66,

So in fact for Taranis, the default channel order has no direct effect on the radio RF PPM order, it is simply a commodity to help and edit in the mixer and input menus.
I was concerned (not sure) that with Taranis it would have some sort of effect on the PPM Radio RF link, but it does not.
Let me know if otherwise.

Thanks question answered.

Rat
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The Channel Order selection simply sets the default order for new models. You can then move them around if you need to. The result will be sent to the RF module as you see it on the Mixer page.

The RF module may then manipulate the order. For example, Multiprotocol, as used in the 4in1 modules and iRangeX expects to see input in AETR channel order. It then converts this to the order required by the receiver for a particular protocol. For DSMX, the RF module converts AETR to TAER, as required by Spektrum and compatible receivers.

FrSky receivers mostly don’t care about channel order, except for the S6S and S8X stabilized receivers, which require the default AETR.
Raythegreat

Post by Raythegreat »

Very clear now.

Thanks Daedalus66,
RTG

RASAER00

Post by RASAER00 »

Tried to setup my first X-7Q and only one servo worked though the wrong one.
Output screen did not register any signals at all.

Next the transmitter unbound all on its own.

After downloading the latest version the battery usage soared unlike my plane.

Looked around for something or anything for insight - lotsa luck.
Tried Frsky and they could not suggest a solution.

Where in the world is a basic manual from the manufacturer (like Spectrum??) for a new transmitter and basic programming for starters that is until users earn their PHD in programming?

The videos were about other things.
Good luck.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What file did you download and flash to the radio?

Also see: http://rcdiy.ca/opentx-guide/.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”