OpenTX 2.2.x does not communicate with Google Earth

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
Richard

Re: OpenTX 2.2.x does not communicate with Google Earth

Post by Richard »

Kilrah, as usual, you hit the nail.
Here is what I got so far:
1) As expected the kml file was where you said it should be.
2) When I tried to open it with GE, GE started but although the task manager showed it as active it was nowhere to be seen. Kind in the limbo.
3) I opened the GE from the start menu, and did file>open> kml file, and voila! I can see the track as expected to be.
Therefore, as you suggested, I must have the GE path pointing to the wrong side. However, in that sense, what I cannot understand is why when I click in the log viewer, it opens the GE. I the path is wrong, then the icon should not show, and even less it should open GE. Unless, whoever is looking for the kml file is looking to the wrong place, or transfering the wrong path to GE. Still I think it may be something wrong in my PC, given that I cannot complete to openfile from the explorer, in despite of selecting GE as "open file with".
Will look into that, but at this point even not opening the track from the log viewer, I can go the way around, which is a big step forward.
Thank you Ray and Kilrah for your help. When I find the problem I will submit it here just in case someone else get stock with this issue.
Richard

Richard

Post by Richard »

Well, here are the news.
I reset the file association for klm, and was able to open the file from the explorer.
I reset the file path in Companion, I copied the path from the 2.0, I restarted the computer, and still the GE opens but the kml file does not show.
I am out of ammo. Well, the only thing I did not tried yet is to use a different bin, (the one Ray's using) although at this point I give it 5% chance of success.
Kilrah, how about copying the file that stores the radio profile from 2.0 to 2.2?
Richard
Richard

Post by Richard »

A expected the bin file has nothing to do with the GE not opening the kml file.
Richard
DougRoss

Post by DougRoss »

Hi Guys

I had exactly the same problem as Richard and after following your thread all the way to the last entry I realised that the path to the temp file is where the problem lies. I found all the GPS flight logs in KML format as per this thread and then double clicked on any one of the files and GE opens the flight path correctly. it's just a case of setting up the correct path to the converted CSV to KML files.
Attachments
GE_OpenTX_GPS.jpg
GPS Logs.JPG
Richard

Post by Richard »

You are right, although it seems that not too many people have the same problem, or they are just opening the log from the explorer. It looks that the KML files are in the right place, and I can imagine two possibilities why they not open from the Companion (I am using 2.2.1):
1) GE is not supposed to open a file in that directory at start up
2) A line is missing in the process initiated by the OpenTX to open GE, indicating that it has to open a file from the directory.
Another one, is that it may be a line missing when saving the KML, to open it (which will force GE to open, like when you open it from the explorer). Unfortunately I am not that smart to open the code and find out how the process is done, given that I have a very basic knowledge of writing code.
Richard

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”