Setting repeated warning for rx not on

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
ulfh

Setting repeated warning for rx not on

Post by ulfh »

I just crashed my second hand DLG since I forgot to turn the rx on with the magnetic switch (Zepsus magnetic BEC, http://www.rcteknik.se/Katalog?ccp=5557&pcp=11563) I have installed, which is off by default when power/battery is connected. I just did what I do with all my other planes - swapped battery and launched - and then watched it crash to the ground and disintegrate... Pretty stupid, I know, and entirely my own fault. Let's call it a beginner's mistake, I don't have this setup on any other plane.

I obviously don't want that to happen again so I wonder if there is a way to repeatedly have the QX7 warn me if I turn the radio on and the rx is off? Some sort of logical function for No Data on telemetry plus a voice/haptic alert, or something similar. What kind of logical function could be used, if any?

Skickat från min SM-T585 via Tapatalk

jhsa

Re: Setting repeated warning for rx not on

Post by jhsa »

It is pretty much basic procedure to make sure all controls are working in the right direction before flying a model. Same as with real aircraft.
For that, you just need to move the sticks before launching the model. If the controls don't move, perhaps the switch is OFF.

By the way, i build my own magnetic switches and they will be ON when the battery is connected.
They might be a bit too big for your application, but could be designed smaller.. In your case only one Mosfet would be needed as your model doesn't take much current from the battery.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check if RSSI is/goes to zero in openTx when the x is off. If so, then use that to create a warning.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
ulfh

Re: RE: Re: Setting repeated warning for rx not on

Post by ulfh »

jhsa wrote:It is pretty much basic procedure to make sure all controls are working in the right direction before flying a model. Same as with real aircraft.
For that, you just need to move the sticks before launching the model. If the controls don't move, perhaps the switch is OFF.

By the way, i build my own magnetic switches and they will be ON when the battery is connected.
They might be a bit too big for your application, but could be designed smaller.. In your case only one Mosfet would be needed as your model doesn't take much current from the battery.

João
Thank you, I normally do that but not this time unfortunately. I guess mistakes can be made by us all, perhaps even by you.
I agree that a switch which default to on would be better..

ulfh

Post by ulfh »

MikeB wrote:Check if RSSI is/goes to zero in openTx when the x is off. If so, then use that to create a warning.

Mike.
Thank you, I will try that.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

ulfh wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:39 pm

João
Thank you, I normally do that but not this time unfortunately. I guess mistakes can be made by us all, perhaps even by you.

[/quote]

I would say, specially by me :mrgreen:

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ulfh

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Setting repeated warning for rx not on

Post by ulfh »

ulfh wrote:
MikeB wrote:Check if RSSI is/goes to zero in openTx when the x is off. If so, then use that to create a warning.

Mike.
Thank you, I will try that.

RSSI or other telemetry variables doesn't seem to be set/initialized at all before the rx is switched on so I can't use e.g. RSSI < x as a logical test. Any other ideas would be welcome.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You can't detect anything if the model is OFF. How do you want to detect something that the model is sending to the radio, if the model itself is OFF?? Not possible :)
But Mike's idea is very good, depending on how openTX works.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Telemetry-based Logical switches are automatically inhibited when no telemetry is present for the obvious reason that otherwise most of the alarms and warnings you might have set up would be blaring continuously anytime your model is turned off and drive you crazy.

With OpenTX 2.2 you can however use "!Tele" as the trigger for a special function to do something when telemetry is not present Can also test the presence/absence of each individual sensor.
ulfh

Post by ulfh »

Perfect, thank you! OpenTX is fantastic.

Skickat från min GT-I9505 via Tapatalk
ulfh

Post by ulfh »

Kilrah's solution works like a charm! I have set a logical switch and a special function in my QX7 that beeps and buzzes like mad, should I ever make the same stupid mistake again...

However when I downloaded my radio settings to Companion 2.2.0 (for Linux) my logical switch no longer had the !Tele AND-switch, instead this was empty.

Any idea why this happened? Is there a setting in Companion that would include the "!Tele" or is it perhaps a bug? If so, I can of course report it so that it might be fixed in coming versions.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It's already fixed for next version.
ulfh

Post by ulfh »

Great! Thank you for your reply and great efforts in improving Open TX.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”