How to program

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
johan214

How to program

Post by johan214 »

Hello all,

I'm new in open TX. ( since 2 month )
I use my TARANIS X9E for truck driving. Driving and steering is OK at the moment.
Also light control is OK but now I want to add something extra for connecting a trailer which I want to control with two switches.

First switch is on/off.
In off the servo must be at -100
In on position second switch ( 3 position switch ) is giving the commands
pos. 1 servo at 0
pos. 2 servo at 50
pos. 3 servo at 100

Can someone tell me how to do this ?
The servo will be connected to ch5 on the receiver.
The used switches are SF and SD on the TARANIS X9E layout

Thank you to help me out.
Kind regards,
Johan

rdeanchurch

Re: How to program

Post by rdeanchurch »

You do not say what firmware you are using.
For OpenTx, you could do
I consider a switch down/toward me off or low, so this example will assume that
SpecFun SFdown OverRide CH05 -100
A mix on ch5
SD 100% Curve 1
Attachments
0-50-100.png
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
johan214

Post by johan214 »

I see "OPENTX--X9E / Version 2.2.0N367 (d586b7cd )" on my transmitter
I'm not sure but I think you use a program on your PC to do this set-up. Is it possible to do this directly on the transmitter ?
I'm not yet experienced in this open TX and I have difficulties to find something ( instructions ) easy to understand.
I managed to do the basic set-up on transmitter and to connect the receiver.
Also the setup to steer / gas and lights on/off was easy ( done by trial and error ) .
Now I want to go deeper ( mixing inputs to one output ? )
I hope this is possible.

To explain more clear
I want to have following
INPUT OUTPUT to servo connected on channel 5 of my receiver
SF:UP CH5 = -100
SF:DOWN AND SD:UP CH5 = 0
SF:DOWN AND SD:MIDDLE CH5 = 50
SF:DOWN AND SD:DOWN CH5 = 100

Is this possible and how to do this set-up on my TARANIS X9E ?

Next question :
As I understood correctly it must be possible to give all switch position on one channel to the receiver.
I don't know how to do this and I certainly don't know how to split out this one channel as input on the receiver to multiple outputs for different functions on my truck.
for example
switch 1 will be headlights on/of
switch 2 will be blinkers left - right
switch 3 will be the horn

Maybe an instruction how to do this already exist, but I didn't found yet.
I think the problem is also that everything is explained for airplane users.
The names of the sticks and the switches are maybe clear for them but not for me.
I think there are a lot of possebilities with open tx. I hope I'm not wrong in this. The only is that I need to understand.

My apologies for the many questions and maybe also for my bad English.

Thank you already to all who give me info to help me on this.

Johan
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

My example is from Companion on a PC, but yes, it can all be done on the transmitter(tx).
Your transmitter has a pre-release version for its firmware. I do not remember the exact differences and would recommend updating to 2.2.0 which is a released version. The easiest way to do that is using Companion. Companion has versions for Window, Mac and Linux (Ubuntu for sure, not sure how many other variants of Linux.)

But having said that, the chances of release candidate ON367 having had anything that would effect what you need is very small.

You use exactly the opposite conventions I use on switches (your way is more popular than, mine so that is not criticism)

The step by step directions would be somewhat long for doing it on the tx, but I know there are several people that mostly use the tx directly for building there model setups. It is quite easy to physically show on the tx and long to describe key by key in writing.
Most of the reference material I know of is for Companion.
I have a Taranis X9D and a QX7, not an X9E, but the basics are the same.
Did you setup you tx using just the wizard?
What I'm getting at is do you know how to maneuver through the various pages on the tx to view, add and edit MIXs, Logical Switches and Special Functions?

There are many ways to accomplish what you want. My way did not use 3 logical Switches as you suggested, but that is a perfectly legitimate way of doing it.

I'll set up an example in Companion of doing it the way you suggest and look at the X9E for differences between X9D in layout.
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

But on to the second part of your question. There is no way to have one channel on the receiver control 3 different lights independently using only standard standard RC switches.
There may be available off the shelf solutions for light systems for cars, but I know nothing of them.
I do planes not cars. I have LEDs on some planes. One has nav lights, motors lights and landing lights. I use 3 channels with 3 RC switches.

An arduino could probably be programmed to break out the signals to headlights, blinkers (two independent you want control of left vs right, if you only want them to act as hazard lights, one would do0, and horn if you wanted a DIY arduino rc switch.
To have control of those 4 functions would require 4 output channels on the receiver and suitable Mixes on the transmitter.
Dean

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

This thread details one way to get 5 on-off outputs from a single channel:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4611.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

rdeanchurch wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 pm There is no way to have one channel on the receiver control 3 different lights independently using only standard standard RC switches.
Yes there is :) what about 4? ;)
Have a look at this little project. Not off the shelf though, you will have to build it :)

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=7299

I use ErSky9x, I'm quite sure it also works on OpenTX..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

João

A good looking project, but it is a DIY arduino project as I suggested.
Cheap (realitively) standard RC switches can be had for 1 channel off the shelf from hobbyking, ebay or banggood and probably many other places.

Back to the posters questions.
If you have a X series receiver, you can add 4 more output channels with SBUS to PWM converter for $<13.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-sbus-cpp ... -pins.html
Dean
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

On the transmitter side this does what you specified in close to the way you specified it.
Again this is on companion, simulated and it works. (Note the mixes are REPLACE/:=, not the default ADD.)

But now we need to know if you want to pursue this, given the problems on the receiver output side.
As I said, unless you already know how to navigate through adding and editing Mixes and logical switches, it would be more writing that I want to do.
As specified you do not have control over left vs right signals.
Attachments
LightsOn2Switches.png
Dean
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

rdeanchurch wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Cheap (realitively) standard RC switches can be had for 1 channel off the shelf from hobbyking, ebay or banggood and probably many other places.
Yes, but I don't think they do what he was asking for, which is controlling many different lights using only one channel.
At least not the way this DIY project does. This can turn the lights ON and OFF independently from each other. It is like you were using 4 channels instead of only one.. If using an Arduino instead of the ATtiny, you can control 5.. :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

I haven't seen a diy project that would allow me to turn on right blink, then turn on head lights, then turn off right blink, then honk the horn with headlights still on then turn on left blink and headlights, then honk the horn....in any order I want with different combinations of horn, stop lights, headlights, and blink.
But I do not follow the DIY stuff as much as João or MikeB
Yes my way used 4 channels.
But apparently Johan has lost interest, so it it is a mute question.
Dean
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yes, the ones me and Mike linked do all that, and only use one channel :)
Actually, a user from this forum use to sell them

http://rc-miskolc.emiter.hu/rc-miskolc/ ... Itemid=204

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
johan214

Post by johan214 »

Hello All,

Seeing the advice here I downloaded OPENTX for my PC and tried to follow the guide of opent TX2.2.
On the first install the program asked type of radia ( = TARANIS X9E )

Radio connect ( two horizontal trim to center and turn on : after this connected to USB )
i could rear the models and look into the settings : Wonderfull . Looks all easy

But then problems came .....

On certain moment the program asked to download the latest firmware, which I did , and to flash the radio, which I also did
Now I can't turn the radio on so I hope it' not dead ??? Please help me out of this.
What should I do ???
johan214

Post by johan214 »

Sorry,

I think I found the problem.
It's not only the firmware that need to be flashed but it seems that I also had to change the folders on the SD.
I did this and now the radio is working again.
Lost all my settings and models, but this is not the worst. I thought that i did something wrong with changing the firmware.

I hope from now on everything will run fine.
I've seen the solution from "rdeanchurch" which I want to try. Thank you.
When I have tried this I will give a message if I succeeded or not.

It seems that I have a lot to learn.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Nice recovery.
Yes, SD needs to be in sync with firmware.
OpenTx, Companion, SD and bootloader are best if all kept in sync.

Yes keep us posted.
Dean
johan214

Post by johan214 »

Everything works as I want now.
Thank you rdeanchurch.
Where can I find manuals how to work with inputs / outputs / logical switches / Mixer , ....

I'm working on a new truck model with low boy trailer and I will need a lot of functions to be done by switches.
I"ve bought some modules from Beier ( special modules for trucks with light / sound / ... ) Also here it should be possible to combine some switches on one channel and to split it up again in this module.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Since I do not have a X9E, I've never tried to note any documentation specifically aimed at that tx. But the stuff on http://rcdiy.ca/blog/ is very good and current, but it is mostly for the QX7. Since the QX7 and X9E both have the rotary input device anything said for it will be mostly applicable. The QX7 does not have as many switches and no left right sliders.
Once you have mastered the ideas you will find it very intuitive.

On http://rcdiy.ca/blog/ Start with the OpenTx guide then look under Guide and Scripts.

Another resource is http://open-txu.org/ but it is starting to be a little dated.

Basically Inputs conditions things. Expo and multi rates should be in INPUTS, MIXERs applies inputs or raw things to channels. OUTPUTs set limits and subtrim, as well as inverting if required to get a servo moving in the right direction.
_______________________________/-> INPUTS__Conditioned physical_Stuff___\
Physcial sticks, switches and pots./->_______Un-Conditioned physical_Stuff_____->Mixes....->Outputs

That is the flow....no Mixes =NO channel output.
Dean
johan214

Post by johan214 »

OK. thank you.

I will take a look.
I also discovered some movies on Youtube. Maybe I can find there what I need.

Anyway. Till this moment I don't regret that I bought this transmitter. It seems that there are a lot of possibiliies, but also a lot to learn.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”