Not acquiring telemetry data on Taranis X9D with DJT or XJT plug-in modules added.

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
UKFlier

Not acquiring telemetry data on Taranis X9D with DJT or XJT plug-in modules added.

Post by UKFlier »

Hi,

Background:

I currently operate an older Taranis X9D and have about 10+ D4R-ii and D8-IIPlus receivers, plus telemetry fully operational, running OpenTX 2.19 very successfully.

I now need to acquire more receivers for new models, but I'm faced with the requirement to upgrade to EU standards and buy the EU compatible X type receivers. This is OK (since I want to use the gyro features etc. and also generally be up to date) however I don't want to discard all my older D8 based receivers.

My plan was to upgrade my X9D to OpenTX 2.2, upgrade the internal transmit firmware TX firmware to EU, and then use a DJT module to continue using my existing D8 based receiver population. Not a perfect solution, but quite workable for both the old and new worlds

Before starting I tested a plug-in DJT module ( I borrowed a working unit) into the back of my Taranis X9D. Once configured for external operation, this correctly operated all the receivers in D8 mode as before, however there is no telemetry data received. I really want telemetry to be available, especially signal received strength, and Lipo battery voltages.

I have two questions which I can't resolve from researching the various forums:

1) Does the FrSky DJT plug-in unit provide telemetry data into the Taranis X9D as-is? I'm aware of numerous electrical modifications to the DJT for other vendor's transmitters to provide this data. I'd assumed on FRSky's own Taranis Transmitter that the telemetry data would be available out-of-the-box?

2) An alternative approach would be to leave the X9D Transmitter as-is with 2014 firmware and OpenTX 2.1.9 or 2.2 and use a new XJT EU plug-in unit to provide the EU compatible features. i.e operate with two "aerials", BUT, the same question arises, does the XJT unit actually provide telemetry data into the Taranis?

Any thoughts / better approach ?

Colin
UK based.

Kilrah

Re: Not acquiring telemetry data on Taranis X9D with DJT or XJT plug-in modules added.

Post by Kilrah »

You can still operate your D8 receivers with the internal module even after it is updated to LBT.

DJT would need external wiring or internal mod to get telemetry on the Taranis. The XJT does it out of the box but the DJT dates from way before FrSky even thought they would make a radio.
randomSlopeFlyer

Re: Not acquiring telemetry data on Taranis X9D with DJT or XJT plug-in modules added.

Post by randomSlopeFlyer »

Thanks Kilrah.
So does this mean that when you upgrade the RF firmware to LBT it 'keeps' the old D8 protocols etc?
And that it's possible to do this on an old 'x9d' (i.e. not an x9d plus).

Mike
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yes.
UKFlier

Post by UKFlier »

Does this depend on EU or non-EU operation ? I'm in the UK.

thanks,
Colin

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

LBT = EU
chriszu

Post by chriszu »

Hello Kilrah,
I am new here an from Switzerland too. I have a follow up question regarding your post above:
On June 10 2017 you mentioned that DJT could be modified to send telemetry data to Taranis X9D. How could I do this?
Thanks for your help
Christof
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
lfrassy

Post by lfrassy »

I just bought a taranis X9d+( EU/LBT)and installed OpenTX 2.2.4. In order to use my old type "D" receivers I plug a DJT external module with the mentioned mods. All servos run perfectely but I can't obtain telemetry data.
Before Taranis I used this module in a 9xrpro (starting with oder version of OpenTX and now with OpenTX 2.2.3) and all works fine (i.e. I have telemetry data on radio...) but selecting in telemetry screen as protocol "FrSky D". On Taranis protocol is not selectable and is "FrSky S.Port".
Maybe ther is a need for a sort of converter?

Thanks
Lorenzo
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You do not need to use the DJT, just use the internal module.
There is no support for the DJT telemetry precisely because there was no need for it since the internal module does D8.
lfrassy

Post by lfrassy »

Thank Kilrah for quick answer, but the problem raise from new firmware (EU/LBT) on internal module that don't support D8 mode (only D16 or LR12).

Lorenzo
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It does support D8.
lfrassy

Post by lfrassy »

New version don't.
As you can see on the manual (page 3) "Taranis X9D Plus-EU version only has D16-EU mode".
On the radio the screen "model setup" appears slightly different that on companion: for internal RF you can select between XJT and R9M.
If you select XJT appears a new field with "D16" or "LR12".
If you want this eve I'll take some pictures about that.

Thanks
Lorenzo
Attachments
X9D PLUS-manual.pdf
(8.6 MiB) Downloaded 242 times
lfrassy

Post by lfrassy »

Sorry but a little mistake....
on internal RF you can only select XJT.....
R9M is selectable only as external RF.
As external RF is possible select XJT and in this case appears also D8 protocol (and D16 & LR12)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just reflash OpenTX with the "eu" option unselected and you'll have d8 available. It's just hidden in the factory-supplied firmware.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”