Newer to RC, want to get into the Taranis, need help

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
adampoconnor

Newer to RC, want to get into the Taranis, need help

Post by adampoconnor »

Hello everyone,

I have limited R/C flying experience (some small helos, a foamie and a glider), but I want to start getting into it more seriously. I was recommended the taranis radio system by a friend who swears by it, and after seeing all of the sensors and gadgets that you can tack on, and for a relatively low price, I can see why he likes it so much.

A couple of things that I can't seem to be finding well though are how all of the telemetry sensors work with this S-Bus.

I want to get an altimeter, tach, gps and voltage sensor onto my next R/C aircraft. My question is, will this information be available to me on-screen while flying my aircraft? So for example, if I want to quickly check my altitude, is it as easy as just looking down and seeing a data spot that says "Altitude: xxxft" or "Groundspeed: xxxkt (from GPS)"?

I apologize if the answers to this are already here, I just can't seem to find them.

Thanks,
Adam

Kilrah

Re: Newer to RC, want to get into the Taranis, need help

Post by Kilrah »

Yes, or even better you can get these values spoken out to you so you don't need to take your eyes away from the model.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

As matter of pickey-ness,, Telemetry is received as SPort not SBus. SBus is for addressable servos and gets 16 channels of information sent from the receiver to servo-like devices. Telemetry uses SPort where the receiver asks sensors for data and sensors ,if present, send data back to the receiver which transmits it back to the transmitter.

But as Kilrah said, It is much easier to just have things announced by voice while you are flying. You can have announcements triggered by a switch or change in elevations or speed or heading or just periodically. Very flexible to make it suit your preferences.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Dean is correct, I have all my telemetry voiced to me on demand using the trainer switch, being a glider flyer, flight time, RX battery voltage and RSSI are important. Lastly, if you use the Frsky GPS with the SPort make sure it is first in line from the receiver, I use one with a battery monitor and vario, the GPS would not work until I moved it to first in line, now it works.
Cheers,

Dave W.
thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

Documentation is here in this forum. It covers the issues you have.

OpenTX Full Documentation

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”