S6R on V-tail racer

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
gsjames

S6R on V-tail racer

Post by gsjames »

I am attempting (without success) to set up an S6R receiver on a Viper Q-500 quickie 500 racer with my A01 X9D Taranis. The S6R has not had the firmware upgraded yet but it has been properly set up with S6RConfig.exe for a V-tail airplane and it reads back as being set. Initially, I set up my transmitter with a V-tail template and got crazy responses until it finally occurred to me that the receiver itself is doing the mixing and the transmitter setting are messing it up. I then set up the transmitter with a basic 4-channel template (AETR) with tri-rates and expo plus ch 9&10 for the gyro. With the left tail servo plugged into Ch 2 and the right on Ch 4 as required, I cannot get proper direction of movement. I have attempted every combination of servo direction that I can think of. Right now I am just working on getting it set up as a "normal" receiver, I'll work on the gyro settings after I get this part working. I DID have success with a X9R receiver using a V-tail template in the transmitter.

Has anyone had success using an S6R on a V-tail airplane? If so, I'd love to known how you did it.

Daedalus66

Re: S6R on V-tail racer

Post by Daedalus66 »

Have you tried swapping the channels of the tail servos. This is the standard last ditch remedy when seeking to get things working in the right directions.
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: S6R on V-tail racer

Post by MikeB »

Post copied from RCGroups, but should help anyone trying to us V-TAIL on a S6R/S8R.
When in V-tail mode, the servos in ELE and RUD operate mixed. With ELE control input they move in the same direction while with RUD input they move in opposite directions.

I think the method of setting up is:
Connect everything up, put the Rx into STAB mode and inspect the control surface response to pitch changes.
Use the channel reverse option to get both surfaces operating in the correct direction (ELE down for pitch up, ELE up for pitch down).
Now check for the response to yaw changes. If this is correct, proceed to setting up the Tx. If they move in the wrong direction, SWAP the servos between the ELE and RUD channels, then return to the ELE setup and adjust the channel directions to get the ELE response topitch correct.
Now check the yaw response, it should now be correct.

On the Tx, adjust the channel output directions to get the control response.

This also works for elevon setup, just replace yaw with roll and RUD with AIL, and you can also use auto-level mode to check the control response.

This should always work. The mixing in the Rx gives common movement for ELE input and opposite movement for RUD/AIL input. If the opposite movement is wrong, then you swap the servos between the two controlling channels.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”