STK tool works for upgrade but not for config

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
gsjames

STK tool works for upgrade but not for config

Post by gsjames »

My STK tool arrived and I am attempting to use it to upgrade the firmware and set the stabilization configuration on my S6R. The Win7 device manager shows that the tool has the driver installed and is operating properly on COM13. Using the frsky_update_sport_rev14.exe I was able to update the firmware on the S6R without difficulty. The application correctly identified the COM port and things went exactly as they are supposed to. However, when I switch the dip switch to the config setting and switch the connector wire (with correct polarity) and then open up S6R Config.exe the device is NOT seen. There are no "COM" entries in the selection window. If I either click "Open" or manually type "COM13" in the serial window and then click OPEN, I get the message:

"This serial port is not found or occupied or change state failed"

Unplugging and re-plugging the STK or receiver does not have any effect.

Any ideas, or did I get a bad STK?

Kilrah

Re: STK tool works for upgrade but not for config

Post by Kilrah »

Does it still appear in the device manager in either mode? Tried another USB port?
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

OK, here is what I found out. Because I have a computer with a LOT of devices plugged into it, when I installed the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge" i.e. the FrSky STK S.Port Tool Kit, my Win7 computer automatically assigned it to COM13 because that was the first open COM port on the list. The USB device installed correctly and was operating properly according to the device manager. However, when I connected the FrSky S6R receiver and opened up the S6R Config application , the APPLICATION did not find the USB device or receiver, and in fact did NOT list COM13 as being available. The S8R Config application DID correctly identify the USB device and receiver on COM13 and it appears to work just fine with the S6R receiver. This made me suspect that there is a bug in the S6R Config application and that it was not a hardware issue.

As an experiment, I went into the advanced hardware settings on my computer and found that COM2 was not currently in use. I manually re-assigned the USB-STK tool to COM2. Lo and behold... the S6R Config application found the device and receiver immediately and it seems to work just fine.

Here is my suspicion: There is a line of code in the S6R Config application that sets the number of COM ports that the application will search to find the USB device. This number is TOO LOW. The application stops searching for the USB device before it reaches the assigned COM port. The S8R Config application either has a HIGHER number of ports to search or some other reason that it was able to find the USB device
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Have a search for my SportSet program that also supports S6R/S8R configuration.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
gsjames

Post by gsjames »

MikeB wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 3:15 pm Have a search for my SportSet program that also supports S6R/S8R configuration.

Mike.
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I'll try both the Linux and Windows version (dual boot machine)

zapdogster

Post by zapdogster »

I believe this might be a programming issue in the software realm. There is an issue about how to open a serial port above COM9. See:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -than-com9

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”