How to Change Taranis Firmware?

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
mapes12

How to Change Taranis Firmware?

Post by mapes12 »

I've got a new Taranis which has the EU LBT FW installed. All my Rx's are none LBT. I've been to the Frsky website and downloaded the latest FW .rar but all the files inside the .rar are pre fixed Open Tx. I've been running ERSky9X on my old Taranis and want to stick with it. Will these .rar files work? And does anyone know of a guide to do the FW updating please?

Here's the link to the .rar file for refernece: http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... anis%20X9D

Mark

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: How to Change Taranis Firmware?

Post by MikeB »

To clarify, whether the Tx transmits using LBT or non-LBT depends on the firmware on the internal XJT module. This is completely separate from the main firmware on the radio.
You need to update the firmware on the XJT module.
There is a facility in ersky9x in "maintenance mode" (power on with horizontal trims held apart), that allows you to update the XJT firmware from a file on the SD card.
Download the required firmware for the XJT from the FrSky site, extract the .frk file, and put this in the "firmware" (not "firmwares") directory on the SD card.
You may wish to backup the existing firmware and EEPROM.
Flash ersky9x, then start in maintenance mode and select "Update Int. XJT". Select the file you loaded, and then wait a couple of minutes while the update takes place, it is quite slow.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
mapes12

Post by mapes12 »

Thanks Mike. Is this the correct link to the FW? http://www.frsky-rc.com/download/view.p ... rmware-XJT
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, the non-LBT firmware is the "150128" one.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mapes12

Post by mapes12 »

So far I have managed to flash ERSky9X onto the new Taranis Plus with eePeSKY. With the Taranis connected to my PC in bootloader mode I've tried to locate the "Firmware" directory but it isn't on the SD Card. Only "Firmwares" and there's nothing inside it. In the Taranis directory there are two files, EEPROM and FIRMWARE. Mike mentioned that the XJT firmware to download from the Frsky website is 150128 but I've looked inside the zip file of the latest version i.e. 161214 and there is both a LBT and none LBT version. Would this be ok? I've attached screenshots of the SD Card directory, Taranis directory and the two files inside the 161214 zip. Any help in getting this Taranis internal XJT module to work as none LBT would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Attachments
XJT FW.JPG
XJT FW.JPG (20.11 KiB) Viewed 6017 times
Taranis.JPG
SD Card.JPG

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Please check the production date of the XJT. FrSky say this:
"FrSky has improved the performance of the BK-RF board of Taranis X9D Plus since Nov. 15th, 2016. For those with production dates between Nov. 15th, 2016 to Dec. 23rd, 2016, if you’d like to use with LR12 mode (L9R receiver), pls flash the firmware to Ver161214. For those with production dates earlier than Nov. 15th, 2016, no need to flash the firmware. For those with production dates later than Dec. 23rd, 2016, Ver161214 firmware will be as default."

So if your production date is earlier, use 150128 firmware, otherwise use the 161214 version.

Just create a "FIRMWARE" directory on the SD card and put the .frk file in it.
[I wrote the bootloader originally (for several different hardware transmitters), and used the name FIRMWARE. OpenTx chose to use "FIRMWARES", but I didn't want to change all the other bootloaders so I've kept to "FIRMWARE".]

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mapes12

Post by mapes12 »

Hmm, I've looked all over the Taranis and can find a seial number and bar code but nothing that looks like a production date.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Mine (from 2014) has the date inside the module bay.
I think you could flash either firmware, FrSky say "no need" to flash the firmware, but they don't say you must not flash it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mapes12

Post by mapes12 »

Yes, my older Taranis has a sticker in the same place with the date (2014). I've emailed FrSky support with the serial number and bar code number. It'll be interesting to see if I get a reply. I'll give it a few days and if I don't get a reply I'll flash the older FW version.
mapes12

Post by mapes12 »

Just an update. I didn't hear back from Frsky tech support so I've flahed the none LBT version of the 161214 FW. Bench testing confirms my none LBT Rx's are binding with the Tx as expected.

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”