(Solved)only get half throttle

General Help and support for the Taranis Radio.
smoothflow

(Solved)only get half throttle

Post by smoothflow »

Hi can any one help? Have programed 3 power(electric) models and all work fine. But when I try to program another I only get to half throttle when it cuts out or pulses depending on speed control used. Have tried 3 different motors and controllers all with same result. Also copied setup that works but the copy has same problem. Am using Taranis plus(latest version) with x8 and x4 receiver's. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by smoothflow on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinamich

Re: only get half throttle

Post by dinamich »

What is your output range when you move throttle stick on Channel monitor page (press PAGE key several times in main screen).
projectkk2glider@github
smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

-100 to +100
Daedalus66

only get half throttle

Post by Daedalus66 »

It sounds like a bad battery driving the ESC. When drawing more than half throttle current, the voltage drops to the point where low voltage cutoff kicks in. On some ESCs this cuts power, on others the ESC signals the problem by causing the motor to surge. This fits your description of the situation.

Try a known good battery with ample capacity for the application.
rdeanchurch

Post by rdeanchurch »

Is it possible that the ESC is not calibrated? i.e., it doesn't know where -100 throttle is.
Dean
OldDmbThms: 1. Takeoff, 2. Crash, 3. Repair, GOTO 1

smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

thanks for reply but have tried different batteries and recharged. Have also tried all parameters on speed controllers.
Daedalus66

only get half throttle

Post by Daedalus66 »

What parameters are you talking about? How did you do the programming? Most servos today can be calibrated by turning on with the throttle at high. That gives special tones to indicate programming mode. Then bring throttle to low. Once tones have finished unplug ESC.

As long as the transmitter can be seen to put out the full -100 to +100 throttle range, the problem has to be with the ESC or battery.

Give us some specifics. What ESC? What size battery? I have seen the same symptoms when a small battery was used with a large ESC and motor or just too large a prop.

My guess is still either calibration or LVC as the source of the problem but you aren't giving us enough information to help you.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Connect a servo to the throttle channel and verify if it is moving the full range

Reinhard
Daedalus66

only get half throttle

Post by Daedalus66 »

He reported that the monitor screen showed full movement, but checking again in a different way is a good idea.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

No chance you have accidently applied a curve to the mix that is limiting movement?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

have tried various esc, battery, receiver and motor, checked curves and recalibrated. However when I rechecked model which I thought was working it had same problem so something to do with transmitter program. Tried servo on throttle channel with separate receiver batt and works fine. Changed from mode 2 to mode 1 and problem moves to right stick. Thanks to all for imput.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Are you able to post a copy of your epprom?
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
Daedalus66

only get half throttle

Post by Daedalus66 »

Given that the transmitter appears to be putting out a full range of throttle signal, as indicated by both the monitor and a servo, I don't see how it can be at fault. I would focus on the ESC and battery. But no harm looking at the Tx one more time.
smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

Hi Daedalus, decided to take another look at batteries. Had been testing using 2 3s 2200ma 45-90c (use one charge one) so tried 4s. This worked better(which is why i thought the original models programmed were ok) with only last 10-15% been flat. Also never gave it much thought before but first 10% of throttle movement has no effect (not until throttle stick gets past first bar). This is the same on all model setups.
Also tried again with 3s but used different newer high spec and got same results as above so batteries have been confusing the issue.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Sounds like an ESC calibration issue. Have you calibrated them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

if you mean have i programmed them, yes with program card. Two of the setups are in models which flew using Spektrum radio with none of these issues so esc should be fine. With the other 2 i have tried all motor settings. With a fully charged battery i am loosing the top 10-15% of stick but when battery drops a bit the effective stick range drops also. I'll just have to fly unpowered gliders for now.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What everybody here are trying to say is that you have to calibrate the ESC to the radio. Specially if they were calibrated to a spektrum radio before..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

don't know what you mean, how to you calibrate esc to radio?
smoothflow

Post by smoothflow »

That's it, calibrated esc and ok, thanks everyone. Would have done this without thinking if programming by transmitter but now i have program cards this doesn't happen. One to remember.Going to charge batteries for tomorrow and go flying, weather permitting.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Always when using the ESC with another radio, it must be calibrated to it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

jhsa wrote:Always when using the ESC with another radio, it must be calibrated to it..

João
Or you have to make sure your radios have the same settings.
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

smoothflow wrote:Two of the setups are in models which flew using Spektrum radio with none of these issues so esc should be fine. With the other 2 i have tried all motor settings.
The signal duration for a channel pulse on the spectrum (or most other) transmitter(s) is around 1200usec to 1800 usec for the full range.
OpenTx or Er9x use the full range of 1000 usec to 2000 usec for a channel pulse.

That means, when you use an ESC, setup for another radio (using 1200-1800usec for full range) you will get these signals already at 80% of the stick movement when using the Taranis (or similar) and therefore no more action on the remaining 20%.

Reinhard
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

The signal range for +/-100% on Spektrum, JR, etc. is 1100 to 1900. On the open source firmware like ER9X, it's 1000 to 2000. Hence the 80% advice.

If you want to emulate the action of a Spektrum transmitter, the best way is to set limits to +/-80%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Thanks for the corrected range

Reinhard

Return to “General help (FrSky Taranis radio)”