can a Devo7 be hacked/modded to a Devo7e?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
wuzamarine

can a Devo7 be hacked/modded to a Devo7e?

Post by wuzamarine »

I have a Devo7
http://www.deviationtx.com/wiki/get_sta ... eviationtx

in bold print it clearly states 'Devo7 not supported' :(

#1 What is the difference between the Devo7 and the Devo7e? (whats missing)
#2 Can a Devo7 be modified to utilize DeviationTx?

I'm not wild about spending $260 just to run developmental code.

wuzamarine

Re: can a Devo7 be hacked/modded to a Devo7e?

Post by wuzamarine »

I 'think' that the only reason the Devo7 is unsupported is due to the lack of USB interface.
I do have a UP02 adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/282237376830?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT ready to go
Is this the only missing piece of the puzzle?
The documentation is unclear on this point.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

AFAIK they're completely different, the 7 is super simple hardware with pretty much nothing interesting in to play with, e.g. segment-based LCD.
wuzamarine

Post by wuzamarine »

Kilrah wrote:AFAIK they're completely different, the 7 is super simple hardware with pretty much nothing interesting in to play with, e.g. segment-based LCD.

is there another project like DeviationTx that will provide access to the FlySky protocol (and upload firmware) that doesn't have screen requirements?

I have zero need for a screen, if I can preconfigure and then upload
wuzamarine

Post by wuzamarine »

Is there a DeviationTx alternative? the more bare bones, the better.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There is no open firmware that has been written or adapted to run on the hardware of a Devo7 as far as I know.

Either you write one from scratch, you port an existing one to that hardware, or... you change your radio for one that supports what you want.
wuzamarine

Post by wuzamarine »

Kilrah wrote:There is no open firmware that has been written or adapted to run on the hardware of a Devo7 as far as I know.

Either you write one from scratch, you port an existing one to that hardware, or... you change your radio for one that supports what you want.

Do you have a link to an existing one?
Zaphod69

Post by Zaphod69 »

The Devo 7 cannot run deviation for 2 reasons - no USB and limited memory available.

Even the Devo 7e is running into memory issues now with the increasing size of protocols available.

It may be "developmental" firmware but as yet I'm not aware of any form of software that doesn't receive regular updates. Deviation is now up to version 5 and is extremely well tested and mature.

I run a Devo 10 which currently has 38 models in memory. From DSM2 / DSMX, to FrSky to the protocols used in toy quads - V2x2, Bayangtoys, CX10, MJXq etc. My fleet includes 500 sized helis down to the D1 pick drone - 40 plus models in all. Only 1 doesn't fly with my Devo 10 with its modules.

The other option you can use is a 9XR Pro combined with the 4 in 1 module which supports quite a few protocols as well. I've just got mine installed and it also flys a large number of protocols. This module can also be used in a Taranis tx.

For me - nothing much out there beats a Devo 10 with Deviation and a 4 in 1 module.

Sent while drinking Pan Galactic Gargleblasters!

Return to “Hardware”