9xtreme vs ar9x

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
spa1fwg

9xtreme vs ar9x

Post by spa1fwg »

Hi to all!!

Perhaps is a stupid question, but i need know if the 9xtreme board is better or not that ar9x board.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Pardon for my bad English.

jhsa

Re: 9xtreme vs ar9x

Post by jhsa »

I have both, and I like both.. I also fly with both. That is a difficult question.
The 9xtreme has a faster processor, more ROM and more RAM, But I guess ERSKY9X won't possible use all of the Ar9x ROM and RAM.
Bot my radios with one and the other have exactly the same features and hardware, except that the 9XT has a RGB display backlight.. But we can't do much with it, yet. We can basically at the moment just change the backlight color..
The 9XT also can connect to a simulator on the PC via USB cable. The Ar9x could also do that if Mike decides to/find time to write a USB Joystick driver for it :)

As the 9xtreme (9XT) board lays on top of the 9x mainboard and do not replace it, some of the (now unused) stock board's analog and digital inputs can be used as extra pots/sliders and extra switches or push buttons.
The Ar9x also has some extra pins and 2 analog ports you can use.. I have 1 extra slider and 4 push buttons on each radio.

The Ar9x board doesn't come with RTC (real time clock) but you can install one.. They are very cheap. The Ar9x board has all pins on headers, making it very easy to add hardware. This includes the I2C pins..
The 9XT already comes with on board RTC.
The Ar9x board has already the haptic (vibration motors) control circuitry on board. The 9XT needs you to build one.
The Ar9x board comes with 3 COM ports. The 9XT comes with 2, but you can use the I2C port as the third COM port. You then lose the I2C port of course..
The 9XT has already soft power switch for an internal RF module, and an external RF module..
With the Ar9x you would have to build some circuitry if you want to switch the power to the modules via software..
There are some other differences that I do not remember now.

So, both have Pros and Cons and it all depends on what you want. One is a bit cheaper than the other. I didn't check the prices lately though, so I don't know how much cheaper.. As i said, I'm happy with both. The problems I had with my 9xtreme radio turned out to be a faulty SD Card and a faulty 9x mainboard...

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Very useful summary for me too. Thanks.
spa1fwg

Post by spa1fwg »

And for me also!!
Many thanks Joāo.
vian31

Post by vian31 »

If it can help: the BIG difference is that the OpenTx software project is not supporting the 9Xtreme, then you cannot have OpenTx on this board. It was critical for me...as I am an OpenTx lover.

I think the 9Xtreme + Ersky9X is more "hardware oriented", then allow more physical mods of your Tx (additional switches, RTC support, two modules management, etc.). In the other hand it is a "supercharging" hardware, ie a board that will be placed over the stock one, using his poor components and making contacts by contact springs, probably a bit less reliable over the time. This is why I preffer the philosophy of AR9X board, but it is very personal.

Both look making a good job.

Vianney

[Edit] Keep in mind also that OpenTx project is less and less taking care of the TH9x radios and all his add-on and plugins, the developpers are now very buzy with the actual generation of Frsky radios like Taranis and Horus. However Er9x/Ersky9x has been designed especially for the 9x and his developpement is still dynamic.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yep, not supporting openTX is not a problem fo me, as I am an Ersky9x lover ;) :)
I love both boards exactly because of the hardware capabilities. Both are excellent. Shame that openTX doesn't allow you to add any hardware apart from the rotary encoder and perhaps the RTC on the Ar9x board. I love how versatile and powerful ersky9x is in that matter.

There are no low quality electronic components on the 9x radio. Mine are running for nearly 7 years now. At least not on older 9x radios. The problem with the 9x radio is an extremely poor design of the electronics, and that was the problem I have found when I installed my 9xtreme board. The capacitors on the digital pins should not be there.
The only hardware problem I found on this same radio was that the 12 way connector that connects both sides of the radio started to fail. But that was expected. This radio was my first 9x radio, has been testing er9x and new hardware for nearly 7 years, that means, it was opened and closed hundreds of times. I think the connector did a quite good job actually.

Ahh, and I can find what I consider "Design flaws" on all boards, including the taranis radio.
You said one of the reasons why you preferred the Ar9x board over the 9xtreme board was the bad quality of the 9x components.
Then I suggest you go to the Ar9x thread on RC Groups to find out that also this board unfortunately had the same problem on its last batch. A few boards had bad (shorted) capacitors on them. So tell me more about bad components on the 9x radio ;) :D

In the end we get what suits us better. In my case, both of them with loads of extra hardware that makes Ersky9x radios unique in their class. Thanks to Mr. MikeB. :)
And or course thanks to the great ErSky9x that gets better and more user friendly by the day.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
jhsa

Re: RE: Re: 9xtreme vs ar9x

Post by jhsa »

vian31 wrote: However Er9x/Ersky9x has been designed especially for the 9x and his developpement is still dynamic.
Negative, sorry :) ;)
ErsKy9x also runs on all flavours of the Taranis radio, including the X9E.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
vian31

Post by vian31 »

jhsa wrote:
vian31 wrote: However Er9x/Ersky9x has been designed especially for the 9x and his developpement is still dynamic.

João
Hi João,
Yes you're right. I wanted to highlight that initially the project was for the TH9X, not for the Taranis, and that it is still under development for the 9X, whereas OpenTx is less and less taking care of it.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

vian31 wrote:It was critical for me...as I am an OpenTx lover.
I'm always interested in why you prefer openTx to er9x/ersky9x. What is there in openTx that is not in er9x/ersky9x that you need/use?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
vian31

Post by vian31 »

MikeB wrote:
vian31 wrote:It was critical for me...as I am an OpenTx lover.
I'm always interested in why you prefer openTx to er9x/ersky9x. What is there in openTx that is not in er9x/ersky9x that you need/use?

Mike.
Hello Mike,

A simple story...from the beginning with the "Smartie Part" programmer board I started with OpenTx. It was in French and the community was still dynamic. From this moment I have followed all versions and have several flying-field friends who use also OpenTx. We share models' config and I like his community. I feel good with complex programming on sail plane and like his philosophy. That's it :) The french Taranis forum is very helpful.

But your question is interesting and I will develop.

Please don't take these words as a criticism but globally I found Er9x/Ersky9x a bit messy in term of webpages and accessibility. For a person not involved in the development it is not easy to find out the good version. Whereas there is a very clear single website for OpenTx.

Then, may I take benefit of this discussion to ask you two questions I have for a while:

1/ You look involved in both OpenTx and Er9x developments, so what is your exact role ?
2/ Why two branches as Er9x/Ersky9x ? I have never understood the purpose of these two versions.

Finally, I love all these software/communities that push to a very high level the programming experience for modelers. This is a very good job.
Thanks a lot to take your time for all of us and be sure that we have all big fun to fly thanks to you and your team ;)

PS: I promise you to have a closer look to Er9X in the future, which is in line with my feeling that OpenTx is not supporting the T9x for a long time I guess. Horus is far attractive 8-)

Regards
Vianney
vian31

Post by vian31 »

For instance, on the http://www.er9x.com/ website, I cannot find Ersky9X for the AR9X board nowhere... What last version should I download ?
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

jhsa wrote:Nigel, to enable the "Hardware" menu turn the radio ON while holding the left horizontal trim to the left for a second,
and then release it.
The radio WILL START NORMALLY, but now you can enter the hardware menu as it is enabled.
Please go to Radio Setup / Hardware..
João

EDIT: The Skyboard and the Ar9x board use the same firmware file, but there are a couple differences between the 2.
Therefore you have to go to the "Hardware" menu and enable the Ar9x board in there,
so the firmware knows which board is installed in the radio.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

First there was TH9X. This was then developed as er9x (by Erez). I got involved with er9x, did some developments on it, then took over the development when Erez stopped. Bertrand also did some developments on er9x, then decided to fork from it and do openTx. So many of the basic ideas of openTx and er9x are the same.
When the SKY board upgrade to the 9X was created, using an ARM processor, I did ersky9x, so er9x continues optimised for the AVR processor of the 9X while ersky9x continues for ARM processors (SKY, AR9X, 9XR-PRO and Taranis). The AR9X board is basically the same as the SKY board.
Because er9x/ersky9x and openTx are still very similar, particularly at the low level driver area, code and ideas get swapped between them both. I created things like the bootloader and the ability to flash SPort devices from the Tx and these then got added to openTx.
I also take code and ideas from openTx. I am also involved directly with FrSky during the development of the Taranis and X9E and the Horus, helping sort out the hardware and writing the low level device drivers.
I've also been directly involved with HK for the development of the 9XR-PRO, which ships with ersky9x on it, and with Steven at SmartieParts for the 9Xtreme.

Personally, I find there are things in openTx that I think are more obscure than they might be. From talking to club members that have a Taranis, they do find locating options difficult. Once you know where to look it is easier, but until then where do you look?
Er9x/ersky9x, for example, has a set of "Voice Alerts" you may configure. So, when you look in the menu index, you see a "Voice" option so it is easy to find. On openTx you need to know you want a "Special Function", much less easy to find.

I'll make it more obvious which version you need for the AR9X board.
On test version for the next release, you don't need to set the AR9X bit, this is done automatically by detecting the processor has 512K of flash rather than the 256k of flash of the SKY board. I will need to have different versions for these soon as ersky9x is now very close to the 256K limit of the SKY board. I shall be creating a "small" version of ersky9x for the SKY board that only has 2 or 3 languages in it to save flash space.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
spa1fwg

Post by spa1fwg »

jhsa wrote:

João
Hi Joāo,

I have a FlySky TH9X, Turnigy 9XR Pro, Taranis Plus and Taranis X9E, all with OpenTx.

I am thinking in put the erSky9x firmware for check It.

I don't see the Taranis X9E firmware in www.er9x.com web page.

And one question, use the erSky9x for Taranis X9E firmware the lcd for telemetry values in the top of transmiter?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Download "ersky9xProvR219x3.zip" from here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676 and flash x9e_rom.bin.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
spa1fwg

Post by spa1fwg »

Many thanks Mike.

Paco.
spa1fwg

Post by spa1fwg »

MikeB wrote:Download "ersky9xProvR219x3.zip" from here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676 and flash x9e_rom.bin.

Mike.
Hi Mike,

Another question, in the above link (ersky9xProvR219x3.zip) are included the firmwares off all my transmiters?

Regards.
Paco.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Yes, firmware for all transmitters is included.
The top display of the X9E is used by ersky9x, although you can't select what is displayed (yet).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
spa1fwg

Post by spa1fwg »

MikeB wrote:Yes, firmware for all transmitters is included.
The top display of the X9E is used by ersky9x, although you can't select what is displayed (yet).

Mike.
Mike,

In OpenTx is not possible select the información to display also.

The "yet" word is a good news!!!

Regards.
Paco.
vian31

Post by vian31 »

MikeB wrote:First there was TH9X. This was then developed as er9x (by Erez). I got involved with er9x, did some developments on it, then took over the development when Erez stopped. Bertrand also did some developments on er9x, then decided to fork from it and do openTx. So many of the basic ideas of openTx and er9x are the same.
When the SKY board upgrade to the 9X was created, using an ARM processor, I did ersky9x, so er9x continues optimised for the AVR processor of the 9X while ersky9x continues for ARM processors (SKY, AR9X, 9XR-PRO and Taranis). The AR9X board is basically the same as the SKY board.
Because er9x/ersky9x and openTx are still very similar, particularly at the low level driver area, code and ideas get swapped between them both. I created things like the bootloader and the ability to flash SPort devices from the Tx and these then got added to openTx.
I also take code and ideas from openTx. I am also involved directly with FrSky during the development of the Taranis and X9E and the Horus, helping sort out the hardware and writing the low level device drivers.
I've also been directly involved with HK for the development of the 9XR-PRO, which ships with ersky9x on it, and with Steven at SmartieParts for the 9Xtreme.

Personally, I find there are things in openTx that I think are more obscure than they might be. From talking to club members that have a Taranis, they do find locating options difficult. Once you know where to look it is easier, but until then where do you look?
Er9x/ersky9x, for example, has a set of "Voice Alerts" you may configure. So, when you look in the menu index, you see a "Voice" option so it is easy to find. On openTx you need to know you want a "Special Function", much less easy to find.

On test version for the next release, you don't need to set the AR9X bit, this is done automatically by detecting the processor has 512K of flash rather than the 256k of flash of the SKY board. I will need to have different versions for these soon as ersky9x is now very close to the 256K limit of the SKY board. I shall be creating a "small" version of ersky9x for the SKY board that only has 2 or 3 languages in it to save flash space.

Mike.
Thanks for your clear answer. I will learn more about it and will try in parallel to program my models on it.
CobaltEcho

Post by CobaltEcho »

MikeB wrote:First there was TH9X. This was then developed as er9x (by Erez). I got involved with er9x, did some developments on it, then took over the development when Erez stopped. Bertrand also did some developments on er9x, then decided to fork from it and do openTx. So many of the basic ideas of openTx and er9x are the same.

Mike.
Man, this explains so much. This should almost be a standalone post!

Actually, I would really like to help with creating a pictorial version on this!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
-Echo

Return to “Hardware”