Taranis X9D Plus - Damage to mainboard/backboard?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
adam

Taranis X9D Plus - Damage to mainboard/backboard?

Post by adam » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi all,

I recently performed some repairs on my Taranis X9D Plus. This involved replacing the LCD screen, which had a line of dead pixels, as well as a broken antenna. The new LCD screen was soldered on without any trouble, and I decided to replace the antenna with a RP-SMA connector directly soldered on (i.e. no u.fl connector). I was happy to see that both repairs had no issues, and that I was also getting good SWR readings with several different antennas.

After completing the repairs I once again opened the Taranis in order to add some hot glue, and in my haste I disconnected the two main ribbon cables while the NiMH battery was still connected. Now, the radio will not turn on, and it is unable to be recognized by my PC when connected via USB. I should also note that when I disconnected the ribbon cables, I did not have an antenna connected to the RP-SMA connector.

After having read numerous posts on this forum, especially those by the extremely helpful MikeB, it appears that I've likely damaged the microprocessor and will require a new mainboard. My two main questions are: 1) Are there specific components I should be assessing with the multimeter in order to definitively determine the mainboard is indeed damaged, and 2) is it possible that I also caused irreparable harm to the backboard by not having an antenna connected when disconnecting the two ribbon cables, while having the battery still connected?

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts and advice!

Cheers,
Adam

adam

Re: Taranis X9D Plus - Damage to mainboard/backboard?

Post by adam » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update, just in case anyone else makes the same mistake as I did.

Disconnecting the ribbon cables of the Taranis X9D before first removing the battery will damage your mainboard, rendering it inoperable. The general consensus is that it is the microprocessor that is damaged. This was also confirmed by the technicians at Aloft Hobbies. The solution is to replace the mainboard, which I recently did, and my Taranis became operable once again.

Regarding my second question, about whether the backboard would suffer damage if no antenna was attached to the radio (for those who perform this modification), the answer is no. My backboard did not suffer any damage and was fully operable with after the replacement mainboard was installed.

I hope my experience may prove useful to others in the future!

Cheers,
Adam

kalle123

Post by kalle123 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi Adam.

Just had that remark here viewtopic.php?f=96&t=9318#p120577

Obviously can not be mentioned to often ...

br KH

wapfpv

Post by wapfpv » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:18 am

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I did the mistake of removing and reinstalling the ribbons with the battery connected on my Taranis X9D plus. I will now order for the mainboard :(

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:15 am

When it happened to me (on a prototype board), only the processor was damaged. I was able to replace the processor and the board worked again.
A check for a damaged processor is to connect the USB to a PC (with the Taranis power off). If you get a STM processor in DFU mode come up on the PC, then the processor is probably OK, otherwise it is damaged.

Mike.
ersky9x/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

adam

Post by adam » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I had followed your suggestion in a previous thread of connecting the USB to a PC, which led me to assume it was likely the microprocessor that had become damaged. I wasn't sure I was up to the task of replacing it myself, so the mainboard replacement was the easier option.

I also agree that these kinds of things can't be said enough! Learning from other's mistakes has certainly saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Cheers,
Adam

kalle123

Post by kalle123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:44 pm

adam wrote:I wasn't sure I was up to the task of replacing it myself, so the mainboard replacement was the easier option.
But you could give it a try ;)

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=9160

adam

Post by adam » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:49 pm

adam wrote:
Regarding my second question, about whether the backboard would suffer damage if no antenna was attached to the radio (for those who perform this modification), the answer is no. My backboard did not suffer any damage and was fully operable with after the replacement mainboard was installed.
Hi again,

Just as an update to the update, it looks like not having an antenna attached to the radio did in fact damage the backboard/internal XJT module of the Taranis. While SWR and RSSI values initially looked good indoors, range tests performed outdoors yielded poor results where the connection would drop at approximately 20 m/65 ft. To test if my assumptions were correct, I ordered an external XJT module and range tests using the standard 2.5dbi antenna yielded RSSI values of 47-50 at a distance of 115 m/375 ft. An X8R receiver was used for both tests.

Cheers,
Adam

Jeffwhu

Post by Jeffwhu » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi

My x9d plus, having range problems, on inspection Yvette part of antenna wire has come away from the board with the pad and part of the trace, I think it may be salvageable by soldering a bit further down the trace.
If that doesn't work can I buy the small board where antenna solders to, if so what is the name of that board?
Keep finding backboard but the other board is not shown

Jeffwhu

Post by Jeffwhu » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Can't buy just the part that antenna solders to, have to buy complete backboard, if you find the smaller part for sale would you send me a link

Thanks

Jeff

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:25 pm

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/ra ... n-xjt.html.

Check how easy it will be to unsolder the existing board.

Mike.
ersky9x/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:09 pm

The Plus does not use this part, that was only for the first A versions. On later ones most of the module circuitry is on the backboard itself, and there is only a small secondary board with just the RF components.
That is what isn't available separately.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 am

Could maybe, purchase the external XJT module.
This would be an option you could do: (http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-xjt-jr-gr ... odule.html).
XJT Module_a.jpg
external XJT Module
XJT Module_a.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 593 times
XJT Module_.jpg
what's inside the external XJT Module
Taranis Plus backboard with XJT.jpg
FrSky Taranis Plus Backboard + internal XJT module
(http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-p ... odule.html)
If you are thinking of purchasing and live in the EU, then you may want to purchase items in the EU.

Bob B.
Last edited by bob195558 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RADIOS: ErSky9x on Taranis, ErSky9x on Sky9x, ErSky9x on 9Xtreme,
Er9x-FrSky on 9x-Radio with Smartieparts upgrade Programmer Board and 9x-TelemetrEZ Board.
Some help info here: (http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7182).
Bob B.

Jeffwhu

Post by Jeffwhu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi all

What can I say......I bow to your superior knowledge

Thanks guys

Jeff

Jeffwhu

Post by Jeffwhu » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Hi

Been persisting with the board, got antenna soldered further along trace, the result is varying range some times would go 150 m do a circle back and next time round only get 30-40m then complete signal loss

Cheers

Jeff

Return to “Hardware”