Adding 3 position switch

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
JamesBC

Adding 3 position switch

Post by JamesBC »

I have listen to these video's several times to get ready to change the switches. Problem being at the end of the video 2 he shows how to go in and change the switches from 2 position to 3 position. Ok no problem getting into Hardware, now seems the firmware has changed things. Is there a guide showing how or what I do to get it to see the 3 position switch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6aEq6qAXLs

Ruining version R218.

Thanks for any help and your time.

Jim

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Adding 3 position switch

Post by MikeB »

Is your problem enabling the hardware menu, or the actual settings?
To enable the hardware menu, power on holding the left horizontal trim switch to the left (as shown on the help screen accessed from the HELP option in the main screen popup menu).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Also see here for more info: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8443).
Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

MikeB wrote:Is your problem enabling the hardware menu, or the actual settings?
To enable the hardware menu, power on holding the left horizontal trim switch to the left (as shown on the help screen accessed from the HELP option in the main screen popup menu).

Mike.
My problem is when I open up Hardware, and go down to Rudd switch, what do I change the menu item to.

and thanks for help

jim
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

bob195558 wrote:Also see here for more info: (viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8443).
Bob B.
Thanks Bob, will read that carefully maybe it has my answer in it.

jim

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

To where have you wired the extra connection to the RUD switch?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

MikeB wrote:To where have you wired the extra connection to the RUD switch?

Mike.
Have not done anything yet, was following the video guide, have the back off and double checked things for the guide.
I think now need to read the link that bob sent me as it seems to be different for the guide I was looking at.

Thanks for your time and help

Jim
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

Ok, have read the links everyone has sent me and I can see just from the pic's that I have a different board in mine. I have no idea if its an older board, or newer as I just bought it from the International warehouse last month. Mine has 9XR with PRO under that and says hextronik on it also. Along the left is a 10 pin with number 2 empty and on the right side is 9 pin with what should be pin 8 empty. The video link in my first post is like my board with only difference I can see is mine has hextronik written on it.

Sorry for being such a pain, I want this to run a model truck wrecker and need one, even better is two more 3 postion switches in the RUD spot and Elev spot. I have the 3 axis gimbal for it so a wheel can be mounted up.

thanks for all the help
Jim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you look closely at the video, you can see "hextronic" in white at the bottom left. It is unlikely the board design has changed, just perhaps the white, silkscreen. The board was designed by "Skynorth", on these forums, for HK.

I think you will find that the 9-pin also has pin 2 (not 8) empty, just count the pins from the other end!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

ok switches are mounted wires soldered on exactly as in the video.
Now back to my original question, I go into hardware, scroll down to ele switch and rudd switch , what setting do I use as there seems to be several non of which are like in the video where is simple said 3 position.

thanks again
Jim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have used the two spare signals on those two connectors then set ELE to ANA and RUD to DAC1.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

Thanks Mike, that seems to have fixed the Rudd to see the 3 position switch. Elev still sees the switch as a 2 position but I can live with that, might just need to change the resistor to a 1K as the one that I put in checked on the Meter as 890 ohm's.
As dev of the firmware sure you are busy so appreciate the time you spent on helping me out.
Have a great day.

Again thanks for all the help.
Jim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

If you have set the ELE switch to ANA, and is is working, but it is only giving 2 positions, then there is likely a problem with the wiring. Do the 2 positions show as EL^ and EL- for example?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

MikeB wrote:If you have set the ELE switch to ANA, and is is working, but it is only giving 2 positions, then there is likely a problem with the wiring. Do the 2 positions show as EL^ and EL- for example?

Mike.
Yes they do, Rudd switch shows the 3 items. I followed the video on wiring but does not mean I could have made a mistake. Elev switch has the resistor mounted between the two outside poles on switch,ground to one outside pole, centre pole is connector to pin number 2. As per the video and checked again. Note that when the elev switch is at centre it shows EL-, and when it is thrown up I get the EL^. Now that would be the centre pole connected to the outside pole with ground wire on it. When it is thrown down it shows the same as when in the centre position which is EL-, and that would be the centre pole connected to the outside pole with only the 1k resistor which is connected to the outside pole with ground wire on it. Hope that makes sense to you.

Blue wire removed from elev switch (pin 7) is on outside pole on rudd switch , ground wires to centre pole and green wire (pin 6) attached to other outside pole on switch. Also note that plastic cover for Rudd switch was installed on new 3 way switch, and that on P1 a 6 position switch was installed but have yet not done the calibration on it yet, although on main screen it shows the bar moving up and down as I turn the knob same as it does when P2 and P3 are moved.

Jim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I hadn't checked the video, I've just watched bits of it. Since then I have added some extra options for the switches.
If you have used the blue wire from the ELE switch on the RUD switch, then the correct setting for the RUD switch is ELE, not DAC1.
For the ELE switch, please go to the DIAGANA screen and look at A9 on the right side. Let me know what values you see for this with the ELE switch in the three positions.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

Ok tried it in both ANA and DAC1, both had the same A9, in up postion it is 0003 to 0005, it seems to bounce between those readings.

In middle its O7FA or maybe last digit a 9, hard to tell as it is bouncing back and forth and just the last digit others are solid

Bottom is 072E or maybe D, again last digit is bouncing and hard to read like part of it is outside range for screen.

Jim
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Top and middle are fine, the bottom value is wrong, it should be around 03D0.
In the top position, the signal is connected to ground, resulting in a value close to 0.
In the middle position, the switch leaves the signal unconnected, but the input has 2K2 resistors to power and ground, so biases the input to the mid position, around 07FF where the max value is 0FFF.
In the bottom position, the signal should connect to ground through a 1K resistor. The biasing "looks like" half the supply voltage in series with 1K1, so this should result in a voltage a bit under a quarter of the supply voltage, so an analog value a bit under a quarter of 0FFF.
Check the 1K resistor you are using. The voltage you are getting is close to the value you would have if the resistor is 10K.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesBC

Post by JamesBC »

You where right, 10k instead of 1k. I changed it and now both Rudd and Elev switches show all three positions.

Thank you
Jim
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't know how you do it Mike :) ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “Hardware”