Open Tx on Turnigy 9x

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
jeffridj

Open Tx on Turnigy 9x

Post by jeffridj »

Hi, I thought I'd try OpenTx on my Turnigy 9x that was running er9x. I loaded the most recent version (2.1.8) using companion 2.1 and all seemed to go well but at the end there was no display. The screen lights up but there is nothing on it. I tried again using companion 2.0 with firmware 2.0.19 and had exactly the same result. I then used companion 218 to replace er9x and all was fine again. Version of er9x says V1.96-Mike (SVN:er9x-r820). Am I doing something wrong or is it that these versions of OpenTx don't work on the Turnigy 9x? Also just noticed that although my models have been restored when i put er9x back again, if I try to read the models into companion 218 it says that it isnt a valid er9x version.

jeffridj

Re: Open Tx on Turnigy 9x

Post by jeffridj »

It seems that the firmware download defaults to a taranis one until you select the correct radio type. Then the next time I opened companion 218 it prompted to download the correct 9x - template firmware which loaded without any problem. Will now try and set it up and try it!
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I ran into a flyer that's using a Iris rebranded 9x that has the telemetry display only mods Iris factory installed for the djt module. No FW flash option but preloaded with a 2014 version of optntx for the 9x.
He's recently been getting screen warnings about memory issues. One at turn on, another while flying.
I'm posting screen shots of the error messages in hopes of knowing what they're saying? I've only used er9x on my 9x conversions and haven't seen these warning before.
He deleted all his saved models except 1.
If this isn't some fatal board failure, I thinking I'll install a Usbasp programmer option for him so the FW can be flashed.
Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Look at the free memory on the model select page, for these messages to appear it would have to be almost full. Post a pic of that so we see the size of the models as well.

The first warning appears if there are I believe <200 bytes free and you should start thinking about cleaning up things, and the second appears when the radio actually fails to save settings becasue there isn't enough free memory.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Changing a trim setting while flying causes the model to be saved.
It may be that areas of the EEPROM have been "orphaned", so are allocated as used, but not referenced in the index. Fitting the programming hardware would also allow the EEPROM to be read into companion, cleaned up if required, then written back.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks everyone. I'm getting the idea. I'll see if he wants to buy the Usbasp to have installed or with the new 9xr pro prices, just go that route. He's a quad flyer and some sport/3D plastic plane flyer. He already owns a stock djt module to start with and could go xjt later.
I'm going to let him try my 9xr pro and 9xtreme Tx's to see if he wants to go those routs. If his 9x MB is just a memory trashed issue, the 9xtreme or the other less expensive drop on board ( forgot the name) would be a DIY fix for FW flashing and upgrading the features. Really easy for me since it's something he could do as I supervised.
I'll get back with the outcome after he contacts me. I gave him my email address and it's up to him now.
I however wanted your opinions on the issue to educate me since I've never had them.

Hopefully he'll contact me soon or I'll just have to see him at the field.
I'm at least up to speed now.
Thanks

Return to “Hardware”