Converting TX to opentx boards

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
kbadra

Converting TX to opentx boards

Post by kbadra »

Hi guys, i am having some questions about switches wiring. I have a broken futaba transmitter, with a fried mainboard, so i`ve decided to tranform it to open tx with help of boards that support it. I am thinking about getting a AR9X board, or its new daughter Uni. But for making it possible, at first i need help to do wiring conections between already existent swicthes to new board I/O Wiring.
The first step i`ve decided to convert 2 and 3 positions switches identification. Can anyone help me to identify the correct wiring?
20160507_190229.jpg
20160507_190103.jpg
20160507_190043.jpg
20160507_184531.jpg
IMG-20160508-WA0010.jpg
Satisfação

jhsa

Re: Converting TX to opentx boards

Post by jhsa »

It's hard to see.. Even the drawing is a bit confusing :(

I think you should see the ArUni connections document and then match your Futaba radio hardware to it. Please see the first post of the thread linked below, and download the PDF file.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570260

Please note that with openTX you are limited to the same amount of 2 position and 3 position switches as the Flysky/Turnigy 9x radio. That is 6 two position switches and one 3 position switch.
Only 3 pots also..

ErSky9x supports more hardware (switches, Pots, etc) and allows you to replace many of the existing 2 position switches with 3 position switches.

On the 9x radio, 2 position switches normally have ground on the center pin, and signal on one of the outside pins.
the stock 3 position switch has Ground on the middle pin, signal ID0 on one of the outer pins, and signal ID2 on the other outer pin.
The ArUni is expecting the same..

So, first thing, get your multmeter out, set it to read ohms or continuity, and check where all the switches pins connect to the connector with the blue and white wires.. You might be able to see that just by looking at it..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

thanks João, i am gonna follow your suggestion and go to test bench.

Sorry for the confusion i always refer to opentx and open firmwares in general as if they are the same thing, and considering your comments i also prefer using the ERSKY9X because i have one more 3 state toggle swich and also one momentary for trainer.
Satisfação
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The momentary was included on the 6 two position switches I mentioned above..
The Ar9x or ArUni gives you some extra pins to convert 2 position switches to 3 position switches, or use all of them, or just some, to add extra switches, momentary or not.

For example on my 9x to Ar9x conversion, I changed the ELE switch from 2 position to 3 position, and added 4 push buttons on the back of the radio. So, I have in total, two 3 position switches (IDx and ELE), 5 two position, and 4 push buttons on the back of the radio.. I also added a taranis radio slider to one of the sides of the radio and used an extra analog input.
As you can see, there are lots of possibilities, but only supported by Ersky9x unfortunately..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

João,

I've finally bought the ARUNI board, and it is on the way... But before changing hardware to configure it, i was thinking about the differences you listened between ERSKY and OpenTX... Arent they done by same programmers? What is the impediment to have same features using opentx? I am asking because i am testing some options to implement in my project, and for me ( i am not a expert in this kind of thing), its quite easier to use opentx! Its user interface is more friendly... on the other hand, i have been following this forum and seeing lots of great features you and others are implementing, and some of them i think i'd like to do, like taranis sliders, and 6 position rotary encoder for flight modes. I know that some simple features are already implemented for Taranis x9d plus, so why is it not possible to implement them for AR9X or ARUni boards?
Satisfação

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Out of interest, why do you find the openTx user interface more friendly? I've been trying to make ersky9x easier to use, and so more friendly, than openTx.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

Hey Mike, i am not familiar with such EEPSKYE (is it right?), and from what i've downloaded from both (ersky and opentx), it seems to be easier to setup the transmitter from opentx in my point of view (and as i am newbie from what i could understand from the process till now). I'll give you a example, for me it was easier even to find information of what is the newest firmware, where to find and full change log, with all-in-one software. But these are my initial impressions since i am trying to be in touch with this world...
Satisfação
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kbadra wrote:João,

I've finally bought the ARUNI board, and it is on the way... But before changing hardware to configure it, i was thinking about the differences you listened between ERSKY and OpenTX... Arent they done by same programmers?
Not really, OpenTX and Ersky9x went completely different ways. Still look similar in some things, after all both control models, right?? :D :mrgreen:

What is the impediment to have same features using opentx?

The programmers?? ;) :)
They decide what to implement or not..

I am asking because i am testing some options to implement in my project, and for me ( i am not a expert in this kind of thing), its quite easier to use opentx! Its user interface is more friendly...

Well, allow me to disagree. I think Ersky9x is much more organized and user friendly. There are some menus that still need some work, but in general it is very well organized, and as far as I know that makes it much more user friendly.
With ersky9x, you get an index menu, where you can select where you want to go instead of having to scroll pages and pages with loads of information buried in them.
My question is, did you actually try ersky9x?? ;) :)
on the other hand, i have been following this forum and seeing lots of great features you and others are implementing, and some of them i think i'd like to do, like taranis sliders, and 6 position rotary encoder for flight modes. I know that some simple features are already implemented for Taranis x9d plus, so why is it not possible to implement them for AR9X or ARUni boards?
You will have to ask the developer team to port them to the other boards that are a bit......forgotten?? :) ;)
This is open source, and if some developers have more fun working on newer equipment, they will probably do it and not have time for the older equipment. By old equipment I mean boards with older/less powerful processors..

Of course, other developers might like to keep the firmware compatible with all the platforms, but most of the times it is difficult, and some other times might even be not possible.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

jhsa wrote:
kbadra wrote:João,

I've finally bought the ARUNI board, and it is on the way... But before changing hardware to configure it, i was thinking about the differences you listened between ERSKY and OpenTX... Arent they done by same programmers?
Not really, OpenTX and Ersky9x went completely different ways. Still look similar in some things, after all both control models, right?? :D :mrgreen:

What is the impediment to have same features using opentx?

The programmers?? ;) :)
They decide what to implement or not..

I am asking because i am testing some options to implement in my project, and for me ( i am not a expert in this kind of thing), its quite easier to use opentx! Its user interface is more friendly...

Well, allow me to disagree. I think Ersky9x is much more organized and user friendly. There are some menus that still need some work, but in general it is very well organized, and as far as I know that makes it much more user friendly.
With ersky9x, you get an index menu, where you can select where you want to go instead of having to scroll pages and pages with loads of information buried in them.
My question is, did you actually try ersky9x?? ;) :)
on the other hand, i have been following this forum and seeing lots of great features you and others are implementing, and some of them i think i'd like to do, like taranis sliders, and 6 position rotary encoder for flight modes. I know that some simple features are already implemented for Taranis x9d plus, so why is it not possible to implement them for AR9X or ARUni boards?
You will have to ask the developer team to port them to the other boards that are a bit......forgotten?? :) ;)
This is open source, and if some developers have more fun working on newer equipment, they will probably do it and not have time for the older equipment. By old equipment I mean boards with older/less powerful processors..

Of course, other developers might like to keep the firmware compatible with all the platforms, but most of the times it is difficult, and some other times might even be not possible.

João

Ok, thanks for the answers João, just about the user-friendly question, when I say I consider the user-friendly software is about downloading, installing, and traceability ... I don't know if it is clear I didn't install any of these firmware's because I still don't have the ARUni board in my hands... It is on the way (in the horrible Brazilian post office), but ASAP I get my board, my intention is to test both and compare, for sure ;)

About the projects, I didn't know they went so much different ways, mainly because looking source codes, it is possible to see some same programmers listed in almost every projects, so I thought they were only different branches from same trunk!

PS.: these are only initial impressions from someone who knows almost nothing about all those questions
Satisfação
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

kbadra wrote:
Ok, thanks for the answers João, just about the user-friendly question, when I say I consider the user-friendly software is about downloading, installing, and traceability ...
Ok, in that case, both openTX and ErSky9x have a computer program that helps doing some tasks easier. For example, flashing the firmware, saving the radio's eeprom, etc. Also, some people prefer to program, or edit their models on the computer. These programs also have a simulator where you can simulate your models.
OpenTX has Companion as the PC software, and Ersky9x has eepskye.
The main difference between them is that opentx firmware and companion's versions must always match. You have to be careful not to mix versions or you could end up with some mess on your radio. Therefore it is very important to backup your eeprom and firmware.

Esky9x and eepskye must not have the same version number. Ersky9x can be updated and still supported by an earlier version of eepskye. Mike always tries to keep things compatible. The downside is that the firmware might have some features that aren't still available in eepskye. But normally that only happens with test versions. The released versions of the firmware normally match eepskye, or vice-versa :) ;)

There are always new test versions coming out if you would like to test the new features before they get released :)
OpenTX also has some kind of test versions I believe..
I don't know if it is clear I didn't install any of these firmware's because I still don't have the ARUni board in my hands...
That was what I thought. People tend to take some rubbish they read in the forums for granted.. You wouldn't be the first saying that ersky9x is not as user friendly without have even tried it. Just because they read it somewhere. Some even go further and say that it is c**p, just because they have read it somewhere else. Often people read stuff that is already a couple years old. Yeah, ersky9x once had thew same type of menus as openTX, and not so well organized. But that has changed, and it is much better now. Just needs a couple menus (telemetry :) hint hint ;) ) done and it will be close to perfect..
About the projects, I didn't know they went so much different ways, mainly because looking source codes, it is possible to see some same programmers listed in almost every projects, so I thought they were only different branches from same trunk!
Sometimes both firmware use code from each other, so it is normal to see the same names on both. also openTX was forked from er9x which is the basic version of ersky9x and runs on the 9x radios with stock board.
PS.: these are only initial impressions from someone who knows almost nothing about all those questions
No problem, we are here to answer them. Keep them coming :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

jhsa wrote:
kbadra wrote:
I don't know if it is clear I didn't install any of these firmware's because I still don't have the ARUni board in my hands...
That was what I thought. People tend to take some rubbish they read in the forums for granted.. You wouldn't be the first saying that ersky9x is not as user friendly without have even tried it. Just because they read it somewhere. Some even go further and say that it is c**p, just because they have read it somewhere else. Often people read stuff that is already a couple years old. Yeah, ersky9x once had thew same type of menus as openTX, and not so well organized. But that has changed, and it is much better now. Just needs a couple menus (telemetry :) hint hint ;) ) done and it will be close to perfect..

João
But, when I told you about the aspects why I said opentx could be more user-friendly, I am saying it because i've already downloaded the executables, and tried to understand the process you just described above ...

I am already testing t the softwares and the interfaces, the change log, etc... I can see issues opened and also the development stage of future releases for opentx... It is more like a software development (this is linked with what i consider the traceability).

When i told you i didnt uploaded firmware onto the board i was not considering this stage to take into account for the opinion weather it is user-friendly or not... I even didnt know the old issues of ersy9x.

And considering aspects related above, i still consider ersky9x a little bit harder to understand. Let's see if i can have another impression about the use of it (that's the point you are referring your comments).
Satisfação
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Released Firmware files for all platforms, and some other files

www.er9x.com

Er9x Manual. It's not for Ersky9x but er9x is a basic version, so the basics are the same. Ersky9x has obviously some more features. You can check the menu system, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

Here you can find the source code for the firmware and eepe/eepskye

https://github.com/MikeBland/mbtx

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

Hey João, thanks a lot, I was studying the above material you provided... from now on, more things are clear to me from software point of view!
But another questions I still have about hardware: where in ARUni are the extra analog inputs for taranis sliders, for example? In AR9X I'v read your article to install extra pot (pot4) and connect it to one taranis slider... It seems clear if i am using AR9X, but for ARUni i didnt identified where to place them...
Satisfação
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think one is AD10 on connector "I"
And the other normally called AD8 ( Ithink) I can't see it anywhere.. maybe it has another name.. I see a pin called Key_1 above AD10. Maybe that one?? Better you ask JK on the thread..
Well i just did.. Let's wait for his answer..

João
Attachments
ARUni_RevC_8June16.PNG

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
kbadra

Post by kbadra »

jhsa wrote:I think one is AD10 on connector "I"
And the other normally called AD8 ( Ithink) I can't see it anywhere.. maybe it has another name.. I see a pin called Key_1 above AD10. Maybe that one?? Better you ask JK on the thread..
Well i just did.. Let's wait for his answer..

João
Hey João, i saw JK's answer, but i could not understand everything... He said Keys 1,2 and 3 are in LCD bus, but actually i can see them in I and O pins! So, where could I connect extra buttons if i were going to? As ARUni is a small sister of AR9X can I assume same nomenclature for all pins?
Thanks ;)
Satisfação
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

The Ar9x has ther EXT pins marked on the board.. The ArUni doesn't.. I'm sure JK will let us know where they are :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Hardware”