New bug possibly discovered on 9x ("pot no. 3 bug")

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
jhsa

Re: New bug possibly discovered on 9x ("pot no. 3 bug")

Post by jhsa »

I use mainly P3 because it is easier t reach.. I probably never noticed it because I never used P1. P1 caused the problem on P3..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Nadim

Post by Nadim »

A big thank to Mike. :)

So my understanding is that the issue can be definitely considered fixed. Am I right?
Kilrah wrote:Included in mainline OpenTX too, thanks...
Thank you Kilrah. I couldn't get though if you meant that you just added the line to your personal system, or that it has been added so that when I download it from the site it's already the fixed version. But I guess this is not the case, or we would be seeing a 2.1.8 version.

Also, is there a chance to get the fix for the 2.0 branch of OpenTX? I know I could myself add the line to the code, but honestly I don't feel confident enough to do so.

Thank you :)
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

It means the fix will be in 2.1.8 when that gets released. There will not be any more 2.0 builds unless a critical problem was found. Anyway with a 9x there is no difference between 2.0 and 2.1, so you can upgrade without consequences.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I would have thought the loss of a pot should be considered "critical".
Did you notice my post metioning you don't need the "MCUCSR = 0;", with the following "MCUCSR = 0x80;" ?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

A bug that wasn't noticed for 5+ years isn't "critical" I'd say.

Anyway as said the issue only concerns the 9x, and there is no more reason for anyone to be using 2.0 on a 9x.
We maintain the 2.0 branch for the Taranis not to force people into drastic changes, but that doesn't apply there.

Yep I noticed your comment.

Nadim

Post by Nadim »

It seems to me that there's a contradiction here:
Kilrah wrote:Impressive that this was never noticed in >5 years...
Kilrah wrote:A bug that wasn't noticed for 5+ years isn't "critical" I'd say.
Then why is it impressive? It IS impressive precisely because while being critical it had passed unnoticed for 5> years.

I'd like to see an update on the 2.0 branch as well, 'cause 1) I can't still use Companion > 2.0.17, and 2) I'd prefer to stick with older stable releases, especially if the new ones have no new features for my present radio (like you said).

I mean, you say "why not upgrade to 2.1, since for the 9x is the same", and I'd say "exactly because it's the same I don't see the need to upgrade and I'd rather stay with a stable, tested, and working branch.

I hope I am not asking too much if I say that I'd like to see a 2.0.20 with this issue fixed, especially considering that it probably takes 5 minutes to compile the code with these few lines.

Thank you
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Nadim wrote:It seems to me that there's a contradiction here:
Then why is it impressive? It IS impressive precisely because while being critical it had passed unnoticed for 5> years.
It's impressive that anything at all can take so long to be noticed - but the fact it hasn't means it wasn't critical :)
Nadim wrote: 1) I can't still use Companion > 2.0.17
Still waiting for you to open a detailed issue report on github so we can integrate that fix into next release.
Nadim wrote: I mean, you say "why not upgrade to 2.1, since for the 9x is the same", and I'd say "exactly because it's the same I don't see the need to upgrade and I'd rather stay with a stable, tested, and working branch.
But the point is that for the 9x it IS as if it was the same branch. It's just the name that changes.
Nadim wrote: I hope I am not asking too much if I say that I'd like to see a 2.0.20 with this issue fixed, especially considering that it probably takes 5 minutes to compile the code with these few lines.
A release that goes through our process is not "take 5 minutes to add a few lines and compile the code". If you had a look you'd see that when a version is released it is released for all platforms with the need to review the code for all of those, then several manual distribution steps.

You'll get what you want i.e. a version with the reported issues fixed, it'll just be called 2.1.8 instead of 2.0.20...
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

It will be the same version you have, just with the fix and a new name. All the rest will be the same I believe. As far as I know/read openTX development team prefer to concentrate on other platfotms, so I wouldn't expect any new features for the 9x radio..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

Nadim wrote: I'd prefer to stick with older stable releases, especially if the new ones have no new features for my present radio (like you said).
Nadim,
if you are able to compile the code by yourself (on your computer), it is not a big problem to fix it in your local OpenTx database.

That's what I do for myself.

Reinhard
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Dear all,

I was just about to ask something about that, on how to compile. :)

Even if out of curiousity, I'd like and try to add this feature myself. I suspect it shouldn't be extremely difficult, but I don't quite know how to start.

Do I simply open the firmware file (.hex) in a text editor and just edit the lines?

Also, I'm sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but... are all the changes introduced with a new version all listed in the changelog of OpenTX? I say this 'cause from version 2.0.19 on there's a feature I cannot find anymore: when in home screen, I'd press MENU to have "reset timer, reset timer 2, reset flight, stats" menu, but now it's disappeared. Same thing for model selection and for inserting new lines in the mixer: pressing MENU would give you a pop-up menu. Now there's nothing, and it behaves like it used to in the past (versions 2.0.15 or so I think). Has this function just been wiped away? If so, why isn't it in the changelog?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No not at all, it requires editing the source code file, then recompiling the firmware with an appropriate toolchain.

The changelogs should be exhaustive unless something was forgotten. I don't recall much of what was done on the 9x, but I doubt we'd have added something then removed it again in the course of 4 versions. I actually never recall having the menu on the 9x... would be good to know what versions had it but my guess is rather that the options you selected for the firmware are not the same as what you previously had.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Kilrah wrote: my guess is rather that the options you selected for the firmware are not the same as what you previously had.
Of course it's the first thing I thought about but that's not the case.

Uhm... now that I found this:
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/4

I think it might be the "rotenc" option... I'll try reflashing with this option enable.

I must have probably been fooled by the pop-up explanation of Companion, that just says that "rotenc" is for when you have a rotary encoder, that makes you think that if you don't have one (like me) then you don't need this option. Seems that's not the case.

About compiling: where can I find information and support in order to learn the basics?
Thank you
Last edited by Nadim on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Yep it seems that the "rotenc" option is indeed what includes that functionality.

About building, start here:
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/wiki/O ... structions
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

If you prefer windows, there is a description of what you need to install with the links where to find it,

But I Can't find it again, even so I had found it already today.

Reinhard
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There is a page in the wiki but I didn't link to it because it's so outdated that the only thing it says is "forget that, use linux instead".

I run on Win myself but on a long-standing setup that I haven't reproduced in a long time. I've actually set up an environment from scratch recently and taken notes to update the Wiki, but in that state it's only for 2.2 only so it's probably not of much use to most yet - and even that has again received changes since then.
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

Thank you.
Yes I already use Linux natively, plus a virtualized Win 7 for when strictly needed.

I don't know if I have the time to get my head into that though, but maybe when I'll be less busy I'll give it a try.

When, approximately, is the update scheduled to be released?

Thank you
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

We never give release dates given that the time volunteers have available varies a lot, so all it would do would cause to be missed...

You can look at the list of things still to do as an indicator.
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/milest ... TX%202.1.8
Nadim

Post by Nadim »

I saw that OpenTX 2.1.8 has been released, and I was wondering whether it included the fix for this issue. I looked into the changelog but I couldn't find it. Or maybe it's me that is either looking in the wrong place or not seeing it...

EDIT: I think I found the line in the file radio/src/opentx.cpp.

Thank you again :D

Return to “Hardware”