Frsky Receivers

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
ShowMaster

Frsky Receivers

Post by ShowMaster »

A place to discuss receiver mods and FW flashing.
Please list the receiver version and EU or non EU FW in use.
Thank you

ShowMaster

Frsky Receivers

Post by ShowMaster »

As a first post/request for help.
I'm looking for a way to add an external bind to a servo port pin, much like spectrum uses, to use a jumper or the button push for binding. Mostly for D receivers, 4, 6 & 8 ch. Many of my receivers are buried in fuselages that make pushing the button difficult. An extended servo cable, possibly on a y, and a shorting plug would be great. I change Frsky transmitters or loan out planes to other Frsky owners.
I realize spektrum uses the battery port but the banggood receivers use an actual servo port. I'm not sure how that's done, but it would be what the D receiver would require.
If it requires a FW mod then I'd have to actually parallel to bind switch or remove it to add a cable.
Got to ask to get educated answers, so I'm asking.
Oops, non EU FW.
Kilrah

Re: Frsky Receivers

Post by Kilrah »

ShowMaster wrote: then I'd have to actually parallel to bind switch or remove it to add a cable.
That's your only obvious solution.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Thanks, I didn't think it was an easy fix but needed a second opinion. Too bad, the button isn't always easy to get at.

Hopefully the topic I've started will acquire other receiver questions or solutions?
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Frsky receiver bind switch.
I destroyed the bind/FS switch on one of my Dx8 receivers. I was given this eBay link as a possible replacement. They came today and looks to be a perfect replacement.
I received 20 so I'm good for any more replacements.
I'll report back after I install one on the ease and outcome.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/400609448941?_mwBanner=1
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449804609.754155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449804609.754155.jpg (20.81 KiB) Viewed 10403 times

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I think the link now shows out of stock? I do have extras and could share a few.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

New EBay bind/FS pb switch installed on my D8R receiver and it works fine again. Saved it from the scrap box.
greggold

Re: Frsky Receivers-Best way to bind?

Post by greggold »

I am re-posting this here (originally posted on RC-Groups) at Showmasters suggestion.
I have a taranis x9d plus, and several FrSky receivers (v8fr-II 8ch, D4R-II 4ch and v8r4-II 4ch).

I find binding is awkward and liable to damage the receiver when I depress the F/S button on the rx while connecting the battery. I have in fact damaged the F/S button on 2 receivers when I pressed it too hard or the wire I depressed it with slipped, while I tried to connect the battery at the same time. In both these cases (one a v8fr_II, the other a v8r4) I was able to subsequently achieve the bind (despite the damaged F/S buttons) using the "D-mode telemetry bind" method involving a jumper on the signal wire of ch-1 and ch-2. Even though v8r4 and v8fr_II are non-telemetry rxs, the D-mode telemetry bind works - the green LED on rx came on etc. D-mode telemetry bind seems much easier to perform for clumsy people than v8 mode bind where one hand holds the rx steady, one hand presses the F/S button, and then I need to work out how to connect the battery at the same time.... D-mode telemetry bind is described in the manual for v8r4-II and v8fr-II rxs.

I am now clear binding for D4R-II can be done safely by taping the rx to the bench, using a fine plastic or wood stick to (carefully) depress F/S with hand 1, and to power the rx by operating a switch on a switch harness that is taped on the bench (hand 2).

But D-mode telemetry bind might be preferable, since the bind can be carried out in a sequence and not require simultaneous actions.
Is D-mode telemetry bind a good way to bind? I have tested it on v8fr-II and v8r4-II and it seems to work fine. Is it OK for D4R-II? The D4R-II instruction manual does not mention it.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

As the D4R-II is a D receiver it only has one way to bind and that is the standard one with the button.

First time I ever hear about such an issue though...
kaos

Post by kaos »

Frsky needs to have better way of binding their rx. It is a pain to bind/rebind the rx. Others use a bind plug which is much better and easier way.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Make a little cable with a switch or a pushbutton to power the RX. Then just press the bind button with a little wooden stick and press the power switch with the other hand..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

I know you can have many ways to get around it, but as a company producing a rx, they should make it as convenient/ reliable /durable as possible.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

I use this and it helps a lot: (https://alofthobbies.com/receiver-power ... -port.html).
Using this ON/OFF Switch to power the receiver on, while holding down the bind button. :D
Last edited by bob195558 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Each to his own, I hate the bind plug method. Nothing worse than needing something that is NOT part of the receiver to do that.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yep, when you are at the field and realize the plug is at home when you need it ;)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
kaos

Post by kaos »

Put a dip switch or hold the button for say 5 sec after powering the rx to go into bind mode would be easier than hold that dinky button on a d4r2 WHILE powering on. on the 8 ch d8 rx is not too bad, but d4r2 is completely different. my d4r the button is not even in the center of the thick paper hole.
Put a bind plug in the tx battery compartment, if you forget to take the tx with you in the field then i guess nothing helps. :mrgreen:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Or have the on the SD card (in erSky9x radio) a folder that has each of your Receiver's bind codes and have the ability choose the Receiver you are using in your model eeprom maybe ?

Bob B.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

That's not at all how that works. It's the receiver that stores the radio's ID, not the opposite.

On the 4 channel ones you can even usually press the button with nothing but the finger by pressing through the cardboard.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Thank you Kilrah, for clarifying how this works. My error.
Maybe then another way, one could create a generic model eeproms for each receiver that is bind to
it and then make a copy of the generic model eeprom/bind receiver and then make all the proper
setting to your new (copy) model eeprom ? :?:

Bob B.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

My temp solution was to purchase spare bind switched on eBay. Micro soldering but it's a fix. I too have slipped off the button using stick on my virtues receiver. Busts the switch easily!
Next time it happens I'm going to add a 2 wire pigtail across the pas after I remove the sw. Probably a servo plug on the end of the pigtail, using 2 wires. Then I can plug in an extension cable to use a jumper sw externally.
That is as long as the wire length doesn't cause RF pickup issues?
I didn't check if the sw shorts to ground or + to bind and set F/S. I should check that out!
Another thought if it is to ground or receiver +, is to cut the trace on the last chance servo pins to isolate + or ground. The if the sw does use + or ground - to work, use that as a bind connector. Make an adapter that picks up the data pin on that channel, servo voltage from the lesser ch # and passes the bind wires to the pigtail connector.
I guess a Y Y cable?
I'll have to open up a 6-8 ch X receiver I use to see what could be worked out?
I think I can get to the sw pads without removing the sw.
I have a magnifier scope that makes it all look so big! Family gift instead of another plane. I use it all the time now.

Anyone know, want to guess, about what the bind and F/S switch switches? To ground, 3.3v or 5v?
I'll try and find out ASAP as I'm curious.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450291371.716937.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450291371.716937.jpg (20.79 KiB) Viewed 10186 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450291350.773153.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450291350.773153.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 10186 times
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bob195558 wrote:Thank you Kilrah, for clarifying how this works. My error.
Maybe then another way, one could create a generic model eeproms for each receiver that is bind to
it and then make a copy of the generic model eeprom/bind receiver and then make all the proper
setting to your new (copy) model eeprom ? :?:
You still need to bind the receiver at least once, but yeah you can manage the receiver numbers yourself and keep your own list of what's what to make sure not to defeat the "wrong selected model" protection if you please.
Cnerdahl

Post by Cnerdahl »

The challenge is this. My transmitter can store profiles for up to 25 aircraft. I have it set up for 7 and often take 4 with me to fly when I go. That's now 4 different receivers I have to bind to. I'm using the V8FR-II and the D4R-II receivers. As someone else mentioned, the receivers are buried in the aircraft and powered on via an external switch. But, on fRSky receivers the binding is launched by depressing the F/S button located on the receiver along with applying power. There needs to be a remote binding switch or jumper option so that receivers in aircraft don't have to be ripped apart at the field just to switch from one plane to the next.

For fRSky, this limitation is a major SHOWSTOPPER; and, while I was leaning toward some new transmitters such as the Taranis, I am having to switch to reconsider and look at other brands that provide the built in option of adding an external binding plug. Without, me having to modify the receiver by adding a separate binding switch myself. Not that I can't, I shouldn't have to.

It is impractical to depress the FS button on the receiver just to switch which ever aircraft I choose to fly.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

There is no reason at all why you would have to do that. Once a receiver is bound it stays bound until you rebind it to another radio/transmitter module.

Return to “Hardware”