Powerup issues

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
monkeyhanger

Powerup issues

Post by monkeyhanger »

Help :)

My radio was working perfectly today, but I pulled the battery pack out to charge it (2S), and when the battery was charged, I put it back in, and the radio wouldnt power on. I took the back off, and found that one of the battery leads had come off inside. (I have a deans connector in the battery compartment, and the wires go into the radio and connect to the black/red wires on the charge port) I soldered it back on and thought I'd be good to go. Wrong. It still wouldn't power up. I did a little troubleshooting and found there is no voltage at the regulator. The only place I could measure anything was on the back of the power switch circuit board.

The radio has a USB programmer permanently attached, and if I plug that in, the radio powers up. If I turn on the radio power switch, the led backlight comes on. Therefore I think the switch is fine. The radio will also power up if if I plug in my sim cord into the trainer port, and turn the power switch off.

Any ideas?

ShowMaster

Re: Powerup issues

Post by ShowMaster »

What lead was off the - or the +?
Are you sure you soldered it back to correct place?
+to the center battery connector pin, - to ground or either outside pin.
The battery path is through several pins on several board connectors. The programming power goes directly to the CPU board. If you disturbed any connectors or removed them to solder the wire back on you may need to reseat the board connectors.
Only you know what wire and connectors if any were involved until you share more info.
SM
monkeyhanger

Re: Powerup issues

Post by monkeyhanger »

>Are you sure you soldered it back to correct place?

DOH!!! You hit the nail on the head. The negative from the battery was soldered to the negative wire on the charge jack, so when I took the back off yesterday and saw the loose + wire from the battery, I soldered it to the red on the charge jack without giving it any thought. It needed to go to the center pin of the original battery plug.
Shame on me :)

All good now, it's back together now and working fine.

Thanks..

Return to “Hardware”