9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
LTMNO

Re: 9Xtreme Upgrade Board for 9x Radios

Post by LTMNO »

bob195558 wrote:Hobby King has:
Turnigy 9X Replacement Mother Board: Price: $9.15
They seem to be in stock for now. (Edit: Well :roll: they are still on back order).

Cyber Sale at Hobby King
Turnigy 9XR PRO Radio Transmitter Mode 2 (without module) Price: $54.50

I ordered the Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver
(Mode 1) (v2 Firmware) (AR Warehouse) Price: $21.65
With SmartAR Fedex shipping $12.28
Total price: $33.93
I do not need it, but the price is to good.

Bob B.
Thanks, just ordered another one... for that price, couldn't say no.
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

s_mack wrote:That's... odd.

Oh, I see its part of their "Cyber Sale". I wonder how long it lasts. They won't ship here (Canada) from the Eastern Warehouse, but they will from the Western... but it costs $39 instead of the $21.65 in your link. Shipping here is horrendous too, but still cheaper than buying from China. Total is $71.70.

Don't really need another one though :)
I said the same thing.. but i ordered one anyways ;-)
Mine gets shipped to a friends in Texas and I pick it up during a work trip and bring home for free. ;-)
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

I installed the 9xtreme with the Frsky DHT Diy module inside and the DJT module outside. Problem now is I have lost the microUSB header that connects to a 4-wire USB connector cable. Can anyone advise on a solution.
fxsti

Post by fxsti »

It was, is no longer. I need a replacement, or other option to communicate from PC/Mac to 9x
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Consider sending an email to the guy you bought it from. I hear he's pretty good at fixing situations such as these.

LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hi Steven, not sure if this is the right thread or I should post on another for the SP Basic, the little brother of the 9Xtreme. ;-)

I have created a 3d Printed Piece for the SP Basic so that I can put it in my radio securely.
Very simple but effective. Would like to share... for those that are interested.

The Thingiverse Post...
Download here...

Here it is...

It fits on the PCB nicely and keeps the board down tight. Just have to slip in the board and it won't move an mm.

The PIN are placed correctly, tested and working.

Some design angles to view in case you care...

Enjoy!
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Nice. I think, perhaps, a slight bit over-engineered but certainly looks to do the job. It is similar to the one I came up with (see attached), which ultimately I didn't bother with as a simple washer does the job as well.

The board is extremely small and light and once positioned and screwed down, it really doesn't go anywhere. The 2nd screw/washer wouldn't even be necessary except that flex in the board allows the left end to bend/lift up when the right end is screwed down, and that might cause loss of contact for the pins furthest from the screw.
Attachments
bracket_idea2.jpg
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hey, i like the fact that they look similar..
;-)
It took all of 15 minutes to design and print.
It works... I didn't have any washers... ;-)

thanks for sharing the image...
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Thank YOU for sharing the design! Your design offers more vertical support and also a wider mating surface which, technically, reduces the rotational freedom. But I think practically it reduces it from zero to zero-er :)

The kit was supposed to come with a washer, but you wouldn't be the first person to tell me it wasn't there. I don't know how, but I think they managed to miss a whole bunch of them.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Nah, i was one of the 1st to get the board.. so you didn't know til it was too late...
You were gracious to credit some $$ and put it towards a new Xtreme... which i now have ;-) so kudos to you....

;-)
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Ah, right. That makes sense.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Just a heads up.. I am sure you read in another thread but the SP Basic was a dud faulty... as in it wouldn't program the Motherboard.
I removed it and then hardwired by direct solder to the CPU and all was good.
Not sure what the stats are on the SP Basic so far.

;-)
Last edited by LTMNO on Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

No, I didn't read in another thread. I'd hope people would contact me directly to resolve rather than posting on forums that I may or may not ever see, and which may serve to mislead/confuse others (for example, saying "the SP Basic was a dud rather than my SP Basic was a dud - subtle but important difference!).

Of course there was the initial issues with them that was discovered and rectified (and all were replaced) after about 100 were shipped... but as far as "duds", no... none so far, with about 300 in the field. And going by what you just posted, yours was not a dud either and I wish you would have contacted me so I could have helped. *IF* the problem was resolved by simply soldering the connections then that proves the unit was 100% electrically fine since a soldered connection is nothing more than a replacement for the spring pins. You had to have had nothing more than a simple alignment issue. There's no other possibility (unless you didn't provide complete information) other than the 9X being a V1 (even then, that's still an alignment issue).

Now, if you meant you removed the SP Basic entirely and directly soldered a different programmer entirely (which isn't what you wrote), then that's different and perhaps you did have a "dud". Again, the appropriate thing, I think, would have been to contact me to resolve.

I'm confused in any event, since you reported previously that "it works".

Maybe pointing me to this other thread would help clear things up?
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Hey Steven, apologies, I forget you are trying to run a business here... my intent is not to slander the product, you make great things and have always supported them. In fact, I am not looking to get another, I am not concerned, I just wanted to report back to you is all. You already sent out an Xtreme in its place with the upgrade cost difference. So I am a happy customer regardless.

However,
I did mount this on a board. I did create the extension piece and then did all the other mods for several days... then tested it. Exhaustively tested pins/springs/loose connections, etc... It seems that it just might be a faulty unit...

I have updated the previous posts... all good.
s_mack

Post by s_mack »

Err... but... well, of course it was a faulty unit. Isn't that precisely *WHY* it was swapped with the 9Xtreme discount? :)

OK, so to those reading this that might be confused, here's how it went: When the first batch of SP Basic's were finished and began shipping to customers there were two important problems that weren't discovered until they were in customers' hands. #1 - the board was physically produced too short and the left screw hole didn't line up with the 9X screw hole. #2 - 3 of the FETs were connected improperly. Customers quickly informed me that #1 wasn't that big of a deal because it was easily fixed with a simple washer (or, as LTMNO posted above, a bracket could be made). #2, however, resulted in non-functional units until repaired. I immediately offered each person a choice of either a refund, a hefty discount on a 9Xtreme, or simply wait for a fix. Most people chose the 9Xtreme or to wait (to my customers' credits... only four people asked for a refund). Within 10 minutes of getting an example on my desk (remember all these kits were produced overseas so I didn't actually have one of my own yet) I realized what the problem was and devised a plan for repair. I sent the remaining kits from the warehouse back to the factory for repair of the electrical problem. All outstanding orders were replaced. Of course, those that opted for the 9Xtreme or a refund were not replaced.

So that's why, LTMNO, that you *should* have a defective unit and that really should be of no surprise.

Or am I again missing something? :)
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

My fellow Canadian...
Thanks for shedding some light on this..
To something Joao said in an earlier post... 'there is just so much to follow and know....hard to keep up'
I wasn't aware of the problem with the fets, I just thought the size was the problem. I had the SP Basic for sometime before I installed so I wasn't following the SP Basic development thread as I was with the XTreme. But then again, its a mixed thread for both I think.

Nonetheless, all is well in the world of SmartieParts and the products, I will take a look at the FET's and see if that in fact is the problem when I have some more time and report back to you.

Thanks again for your support and efforts on making great products for the masses...

Cheers!
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

jhsa wrote:
MikeB wrote: I think we are reducing the output peak voltage to half the amplifier can output, which reduces the output power to a quarter of the maximum, so only 0.5W.

Mike.
Ok, this definitely answers my early question..
So the speaker power matches the amp power. In theory it's still not good. In reality, it might work. Time will tell. ;)
I'm replacing the speaker anyway as with the oval one nearly all of the speaker area is being directed to the holes while with the round speaker that doesn't happen. Will post pictures tomorrow when I install the speaker.
On another subject, I ordered a couple taranis gimbals from alofthobbies just because the 9xtreme deserves them :D
But when I opened one of the boxes I got a bit upset. One of the bearing covers was on the bottom of the box and the screws for it were missing. See picture. I was getting desperate thinking I would have to send it back but then I ve decided to try the screws that hold the ratchet spring in place. They are the right size yaaay.. :) :D Good that the bearing cover was in the box.
But still they should check the stuff before they send it. An uncovered bearing is difficult to miss. :(
Also, the potentiometer's resistance is only 2K5. And to one side measures around 2k2 and to the other around 500 Ohms. That means the pots are not moving their complete range. Is that ok? Won't it reduce the resolution as the voltage won't be the full 3.3V to one side, and it won't also be as close to zero volts as it should to the other side..
João
20151112_004921.jpg
20151112_004930.jpg
I checked my gimbals and they are the same. They get away with it by scaling and calibration.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Of course, they will calibrate. But resolution decreases.. ;) :)

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi Mike,
Was thinking about the older 9x (radio) 1st generation (main board) with the pad connected to the 8th CPU pin from the left and
will the 9Xtreme work with these older 9x radios ? :?:
I think the answer is YES, but not sure. :?
1st generation 9x main board pad connected to the 8th CPU pin from the left.
1st generation 9x main board pad connected to the 8th CPU pin from the left.
1st generation 9x boards .jpg (92.76 KiB) Viewed 13717 times
Reference info: (http://smartieparts.com/shop/index.php? ... =page&id=8).
2nd generation 9x main board pad connected to the 6th CPU pin from the left.
2nd generation 9x main board pad connected to the 6th CPU pin from the left.
Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9Xtreme does use that pad to be able to flash the original processor with the correct 'slave' firmware so the display and buttons work.
To use the older (V1) board, you will need to wire the 9Xtreme pogo pin, that connects to that pad, to the correct CPU connection, and NOT connect to the incorrect place.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Thank you Mike for the info. :)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Bichelcopter

Post by Bichelcopter »

Hey Guys, after installing the 9xtreme Board which is great by the way:) it wasnt possible to bind the rx, so i had to get the Board out of the Tx, bind the two again (without Board it works fine) and reinstall 9xtreme Board. Now everything works just the left stick of the Tx is not doing yaw !!?!? My TX is Mode 2 ! Have anyone a Tip for me please? The TX shows every move of the stick correctly, the Cables are checked too. I don´t know what to do , please help me ...
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What Tx module and receiver are you using?
Are you looking at the 'bars' display that shows 8 channel outputs?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
thinepa

Post by thinepa »

I'm having difficulty getting voices to play on my 9xtreme.
I have put the files into a 32gb micro SD card, using my mac. The files clearly show up when I view them directly on the card, but when I try to assign a voice file to a switch (or even when I turn my 9x on), there are no files viewable in the 9x and no welcome voice plays.
I am unable to view the 9x as a storage device when I plug in via USB in boot loader mode, but I was able to update firmware.
Is there a certain type or formatting of the SD card I should be aiming for?

The 9xtreme works fine otherwise.

Thanks in advance!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With a MAC, you may need to wait a long time for the drives to appear (30 seconds to 1 minute+). This is bcause the MAC writes all sorts of index files to the drive before letting it appear. We don't have a fast USB interface, so this all takes time.

Where on the SD card have you put the files?
You should have a voice directory off the root, then system and user directories under that.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
thinepa

Post by thinepa »

Well - your advice of being patient has paid off. (Words to live by)
I'm now seeing that the 9x is recognized as a drive. Here's a pic of my file structure on the card. Perhaps I have this set up wrong?
Attachments
IMG_4588.JPG
thinepa

Post by thinepa »

I tried it this way too, to no avail.
Attachments
IMG_4589.JPG
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may need to install the voice pack from here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7715.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
mmilan

Post by mmilan »

Thinepa, I am not familiar with MAC, but it appears that "voice" is your main directory and the others are subdirectories. All should be in the root directory along with "voice" directory.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, system and user should be sub-directories of voice.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Hardware”