Taranis Gimals in a 9X

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis Gimals in a 9X

Post by MikeB »

I've uploaded a new test version that should fix this problem:
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic ... 969#p64969
It was a bug I added since r808 when I was 'improving' the curve handling. Surprised myself with the curve editing!
If you are editing a mix, and you are selecting a curve (e.g. c1 highlighted), pressing MENU takes you to the curve editing screen for that curve!

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

volumax

Post by volumax »

Hey Mike, you're the best, its working how it should now, even the calibration is better, I will keep testing and let you know if anything weird comes up. Taranis Gimbals plus the Futaba heavy duty springs are a great combination.
Hoovernaut

Post by Hoovernaut »

Short, stupid question: When I order the gimbals at t9hobbysport.com, is it only ONE or a pair of gimbals? Have I to order one or 2 pcs?
:?: :roll: :shock:
Turnigy 9X with er9x, FrSky DHT DIY, Haptic mod, Smatiparts board with backlight, Smartiparts TelemtrEZ board, Painted white, Flying with Mode 2
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hoovernaut wrote:Short, stupid question: When I order the gimbals at t9hobbysport.com, is it only ONE or a pair of gimbals? Have I to order one or 2 pcs?
Ha-ha... I made exactly that mistake, and got only 1 piece with my first order... The good point is that I had a chance to include an XJT module together with another gimbals in my second order, so it will be even better to get the second shipment from them (when it arrives...)! :)

You should order two.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Hoovernaut wrote:Short, stupid question: When I order the gimbals at t9hobbysport.com, is it only ONE or a pair of gimbals? Have I to order one or 2 pcs?
Ha-ha... I made exactly the same mistake, and got only 1 gimbal with my first order... The good point is that I included an XJT module together with another gimbal in my second order, so it will be even better to get the second shipment (when it arrives...)! :)

You should order two.

volumax

Post by volumax »

Can anyone compare the Taranis gimbals to the aurora gimbals? When it comes to taranis gimbals I like the perfect centering, almost 100% fit, add the futaba heavy duty springs they feel great. The bad is, atleast with mine, you cant change the direction by switching cables, had to be done with Mike's test version of er9x. On The aurora I know you have to file down some of the transmitter and cut some plastic and basically hot glue them to make sure they are secure. But how about the feel? Taranis Gimbals came out to a total of 30.87 usd shipped from alofthobbies.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The reverse the sticks option will be included as standard in the next revision of er9x/ersky9x.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
volumax

Post by volumax »

Hey Mike I had another little problem with the er9x stick reverse version, I was trying to buddy box a friend and I couldnt get the ELEVATOR to pass to the student radio. All the other controls were working as they should ( I didnt test THROTTLE as I left it for after setting up controls but seeing student wouldnt receive elev I didnt try thr). I had control of elev at all times no matter if I had the trainer switch held or not. Maybe you can check it out.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What are your settings on the trainer setup page? By default control is OFF, you need to turn it on manually for each channel you want the student to control.
Also make sure the student radio is effectively sending out a value for those channels of course.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

He might not be using the trainer function on the conventional way as he says that the student radio is receiving?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Best if you can post your EEPROM for us to look at.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
volumax

Post by volumax »

Kilrah wrote:What are your settings on the trainer setup page? By default control is OFF, you need to turn it on manually for each channel you want the student to control.
Also make sure the student radio is effectively sending out a value for those channels of course.
I know I need to turn it on manually for each channel, Ive done it many times before updating my last er9x version to this one.
volumax

Post by volumax »

jhsa wrote:He might not be using the trainer function on the conventional way as he says that the student radio is receiving?

I use it with TRN on all channels. So when I HOLD the trainer switch, student tx has control. When I let go of trainer switch, master has control. AIL and RUD are working how they should, however ELEV is ALWAYS on master tx no matter if I hold the switch or not. Do YOU use trainer function another way than this?
volumax

Post by volumax »

MikeB wrote:Best if you can post your EEPROM for us to look at.

Mike.
Here you go Mike
Attachments
CESSNAtrainer.eepm
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
volumax

Post by volumax »

Mike I was just trying with a stereo cable since I misplaced the mono cable I was using yesterday and Im getting the same results, except THR is transmitting even though I have not turned it ON on the trainer setup.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I probably was confused as you said that. The student tx was receiving the signal when in fact should be sending it to the master through the cable. Someone before mentioned doing it the other way round meaning that the student tx would switch the control, hence my comment :)
I do apologise if I was mistaken.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
volumax

Post by volumax »

jhsa wrote:I probably was confused as you said that. The student tx was receiving the signal when in fact should be sending it to the master through the cable. Someone before mentioned doing it the other way round meaning that the student tx would switch the control, hence my comment :)
I do apologise if I was mistaken.

João

No problem man, wouldn't that be a mess having the student decide when control is switched? I would be really scared doing it that way lol.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah that's right. As I said someone in some thread said something about doing that way. I didn't really fully understand your post obviously.
I'm just a Fortuguese :mrgreen: (some of the guys know what I mean) :) :D

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I think this is a general problem left over from the stick mode change I did. I'm looking in to it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

OK, I've done the fix and re-posted a new hex file on the test versions page. If this is OK, I'll do a 'proper' release.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
volumax

Post by volumax »

Thanks Mike as always. Mike I am pretty new to rc stuff so I dont have alot of experience with all the programming so I wanted to ask you why is Throttle in the Exp/Dr setup page, in which cases would I want to add expo or dr to my throttle channel?
volumax

Post by volumax »

Ok I have tested with 2 transmitters and everything seems fine, this weekend I will try to buddy box my friend again, thanks again Mike.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

volumax wrote:in which cases would I want to add expo or dr to my throttle channel?
You might be using the throttle stick for something other than throttle ;)
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

With electric you sometimes need expo on the throttle as you can find the first 3/4 movement doesn't give a significant response. Also, on throttle, you can enable "throttle expo" which applies the expo in "single" mode from -100% to +100% instead of differently in the 2 directions from 0%.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
volumax

Post by volumax »

Oh ok thanks for that, seems interesting. Will try it and see how it works.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Great thread Gents,

Question 1. Did we( I really mean the Gifted, cause I don't fall in this category ) find out what parts are necessary to replace the Amp Pots? or even if they are available?

Question 2. Is there a clear solution in place, now that Mike has coded support for the Taranis Gimbals?

Question 3. Can someone with the Amp'd Pots post a picture to see what they look like?

Perhaps DigiKey or Mouser sell the necessary Pots? I will re-read the 3 pages again.. but if someone knows the answer, greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening...

Pino

EDIT:

Alright, I Cracked open my Taranis to see what I had... There was a reason I didn't want to open it because when I did, I would start to fiddle in there and I didn't want to commit to starting... too late now! :twisted:

From the looks of it, I have Rev1.1 Board, is that good or bad?
Board Version.jpg
I assume I have the Amp'd Pots?
Pot Side View.jpg
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

LTMNO, why do you want to know whether your pots have amps? Do you plan to install them to a 9x? What are you going to do with the rest of your Taranis then? :)

P.S. I think you will have to open the cover of a pot to find out if there is an amp inside. Both versions look the same (or at least very similar) from the outside.
LTMNO

Taranis Gimals in a 9X

Post by LTMNO »

Hi.
The reason is that I have 3 9x's that could benefit from $15 gimbals from the Taranis. I was wondering the easiest upgrade method fur my 9x's. Is all....

My Taranis from what I can tell is amp'd. I think the basic ones are easier to work with. But I could not read if there was a difference. Then I might also have to upgrade my regulator to support them as well.

Just trying to familiarize myself with the Taranis.

Thanks.
andrewju

Post by andrewju »

Based on my experience (and on experience of my colleagues who ordered Taranis sticks from t9hobbysport), all spare sticks now come without amplifiers. So they are a little easier to connect (no need to worry about the polarity, although if one doesn't want to change stick direction in firmware, then one gets the ability to just swap the wires and do it in hardware instead - that's how I plan to install mine).
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

That is good news. Look like my t9x's get new gimbals.

Return to “Hardware”