Taranis Gimals in a 9X

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Taranis Gimals in a 9X

Post by MikeB »

The centre values in particular are bad, they should be around 0400. You may have the wiring to the pots incorrect. The two outside wires should be 0V and 5V with the centre wire around 2.5V when the stick is centered.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

JohanS

Taranis Gimals in a 9X

Post by JohanS »

Thank you very much for your help so far Mike. I'll swap the wires and check the voltages. Will also post the results when done.
JohanS

Post by JohanS »

[RESOLVED]

Mike, you were correct! Thank you! :D

I did some measuring and one pin gave me 5v and the other two 0v. After rewiring I had 5v and 2.6v with the sticks centered. I also have full range in all directions and calibration went fine.

Where I went wrong was when I looked at the wires and which order they are connected on the trim board. They are not connected in the same order as on the potentiometer on the original gimbal!

So, by looking at the order on the original gimbal and connecting the new one in the same way solved my issue.
skr00zloose

Post by skr00zloose »

New guy here, just swapped Taranis gimbals into one of my 9x's running Er9x, everything went smooth, no cutting involved at all, but I noticed one glitch that I'm not sure how to fix. The trim buttons seem to be reversed left for right. Elevator trim works the throttle, throttle works elevator, rudder trims ailerons, ailerons trims rudder. The actual controls work as they should, just the trims are swapped. I loaded Er9x a long while back, only put the taranis gimbals in because I finally had a pot let go, no other mods were made.

I use this particular 9x for several different multirotors (one with a Naza, one with a full sized APM, one with an APM mini, and one with a Flip32+) that don't require any trim ever, so for those it's no big deal, but I also have it bound to a V911 micro heli that always requires trimming, so it'd be nice to get this sorted out. Is this a known issue? I don't have my radio in front of me to see what version of Er9x it's running, but I know it's at least a year old, maybe just needs updated?

Any help would be appreciated.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

Look at your options menu and one is 'cross trims'. That will swap the trims out for you if you set the checkbox in there.....

Long Left Press,
Control Menu
First option.... Crosstrims... Set to ON or OFF, whatever you desired outcome is...

Here is the latest link by JHSA to the Manual for ER9x.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod

skr00zloose

Post by skr00zloose »

Thanks, problem solved. Appreciate the help.
LTMNO

Post by LTMNO »

no worries, i had the issue once too and someone did the same for me. ;-)
Custom 9x with M64/Telemetry Mod
ferdian14

Post by ferdian14 »

Dear All,

few days ago i received my both gimbals taranis without amplified , now what i supposed to do to upgrade my gimbals,
i just replaced my gimbals directly with wiring tutorial before and grind back green board ?
and then upgrade to er9x firmware or i must doing other modification again?

sorry my bad experience

thanks before
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

You DO NOT need to grind the green board. One of the gimbals can be installed inverted and we only need to cut a little plastic part on the gimbal body itself.
This is all explained on this thread.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ferdian14

Post by ferdian14 »

Dear Jhsa, owh okay, so i dont need to grind the green board,
uhm "one of the gimbals can be installed inverter" you mean can be installed by reverse wiring?

after that, should i update firmware from stock to er9x ?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

one of the gimbals must be installed "PHYSICALLY" inverted.
If your gimbals don't have the amplifiers you could then connect the wires to match the stock firmware stick directions. You will have to measure the voltages in the radio and connect accordingly.

If you install Er9x, which I recommend, you can connect all as shown in the forum and then just reverse the sticks on the radio software.

If you want to have a look at the er9x manual, here it is. Just download it and have fun reading ;)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6473

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
ferdian14

Post by ferdian14 »

Dear jhsa,

i'm still confused about you siad "one of the gimbals must be installed "PHYSICALLY" inverted." :roll:
i'm use mode 2 then which one must be inverted?

if i upgrade to er9x then i just connect wire like this?

Code: Select all

Both top pots:
Taranis9X
RedRed
OrangeWhite
BrownBlack

Both side pots:
Taranis9X
BrownRed
OrangeWhite
RedBlack
sorry to much question :|
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi ferdian14,
Are you configuring your radio to Mode 2 ?

Rotate the new Taranis left throttle gimbal 180 degrees, which will rotate its Ratchet Friction Tensioners away from the green circuit Backboard and you will need to grind or cut away near the horizontal pot cover of this left throttle Taranis Gimbal.
It needs clearance for the small green Trim circuit board.

Chines are color bind when wiring the 9x radios :o , you can not trust the wire colors in your radio.
So you may need to check which wire works for what, say like the Ground wires.
If you have the wiring incorrect it will not damage anything, just need to try again.
NOT necessary to notch the back Green Board.
See picture Taranis gimbal Notched for clearance when Rotated 180 degrees: (viewtopic.php?f=95&t=4281&start=90#p66938) :)

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
ferdian14

Post by ferdian14 »

Dear Bob

yes sir, i use mode 2 (throttle left stick up down, rudder right left )
owh so i need to rotate it 180 degrees , and then cut away the horizontal pot cover ?

wow, i must be check one by one the wires, can take much time hehe
ferdian14

Post by ferdian14 »

thanks for all, i did my upgrade few hours ago, and upgrade firmware to er9x, all seems work fine :) not tested yet for my heli, i'm so tired because i make some mistake to pcb's trim, now i bypass wiring phiuh..

uhm but the screws not fit, because so short.
csurf

Post by csurf »

hi,
I'm about to attempt the gimbal upgrade on a stock T9x.
quick questions...

I ordered my taranis gimbals from alofthobbies a couple months ago, just opened them up, and it appears that I got the no-amp versions. So, since my gimbals don't have amps, is the recommendation to simply solder the pot wires for the right gimbal to the original 9x wires in whichever manner that give me the correct gimbal directions, correct?

please help...
Bill

Post by Bill »

Yes :)
“A good politician is quite as unthinkable as an honest banker”
They used to say "if you don’t want to work at McDonald’s, go to college." Now they say "if you want to work at McDonald’s, go to college.”
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I recently installed Taranis gimbals in my sky9x system and have not used it since I got my 9XR Pro but since I am trying out the new Orange module that uses the internal antenna connection I have gone back to the sky9x and my FrSky Rx's. I have just noticed that while all the sticks move in the right and all of the trims with the exception of the rudder move in the right direction. How can I just change this one trim.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It is more likely that the rudder stick is going the wrong way, not the trim!
Go to the "Controls" menu and go down until there is a "box" around the icons for the sticks (beside the word mode).
Now use the left and right buttons to highlight the image for just the rudder stick. This reverses the operation of the stick. Check all sticks now work in the correct direction.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

I tried that and the trim and the stick moved in the same direction, but on the display where you see the stick movement when you push the rudder stick to the right the display moves in the other direction. I can live with that, but I thought there may be another solution.

Dave
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The only thing I can think of that that could cause the trim to operate in the wring direction is that somehow, when fitting the Taranis gimbals, you have swapped the connection to the trim switch.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
Suncoaster

Post by Suncoaster »

That is certainly possible, I will check the wiring out in the morning.

Dave
volumax

Post by volumax »

Guys for some reason 2 of my turnigy 9xs with taranis gimbals arent working anymore. On one the problem is with aileron, on the other the problem is elevator. When I move the faulty stick and come back to center, I can see the bar showing movement returning but not going completely to center instantly. At about 20-15 percent to center it comes down slowly to center. I first noticed this while using one of the transmitters on the simulator and seeing after moving elevator and returning to center, planes and helicopters were not returning as soon as I let go of the stick. I then used my second turnigy 9x which was working fine for 2 days now problems with aileron. I am now using my futaba 8fg to sim.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Check on the DIAGANA display whether the sticks are showing the same problem there. This will help decide if this is hardware or firmware.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
volumax

Post by volumax »

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It looks like a problem with the gimbal itself, possiblly the pot body is rotating when you move the stick.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That is strange with the taranis gimbals. And even more with this happening on 2 of them.
What instructions did you follow to install the gimbals? Or how did you do it in case you didn't follow any instructions?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

That's weird, Hmm ....., Maybe you have some wires rubbing on the Gimbals ? :?:
I have had trouble sometimes when mating the two case halves together, wires laying in a bad place around the gimbals causing this.

You may want to open up your radio and carefully investigate as you separate the two case halves.
Also maybe, try powering the radio on with the two case halves separated a little to see if it still has the problem.

Some of the Taranis Gimbals that I received had very small wires on them and two of them were broken and others almost broken.
I just replaced the wires as this what we get sometimes from China.

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
volumax

Post by volumax »

Remember guys I modified my 9xs with gimbals over a year ago, I was basically the second person to do it so it cant be the installation. I will open up the transmitters and see if anything is wrong but in reality if they worked for months they shouldnt be failing out of nowhere.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Well, you will have to open the radio anyway and check what is going on ;)
Are those the amplified gimbals or the latest with pots only?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:

Return to “Hardware”