How to connect USB joystick via 9X or 9XR?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
mummi

How to connect USB joystick via 9X or 9XR?

Post by mummi »

I have a Turnigy 9XR and a Turnigy 9X and have seen a few videos of people use a usb joystick to fly and it seems to be connected through their Tx. Not sure if it was a 9X or something else. Haven't been very successful in googling so wanted to through in a question here :)

Is it possible to connect a usb joystick via 9X and if so how much of a hassle is it?

If it helps I have a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick wich I had hoped to use.... and also a Drive Force GT you know for car's and boats :)

dvogonen

Re: Sv: How to connect USB joystick via 9X or 9XR?

Post by dvogonen »

There is no USB interface in the 9x, so you can not connect directly. What people are doing is connecting their joysticks, gamepads etc to a computer and use the computer to convert the digital serial data from the joystick into the signals transmitters can receive via their trainer ports. This could be done with pretty much any transmitter, not only the 9x

The effort is not trivial, since you need some kind of device that can be connected to the PC and that is capable of producing PPM (an Arduino is the obvious choice). Then you need special software in your PC that takes joystick input and transmits it to the Arduino. Lastly you need software in the Arduino that sends the PPM.

What you would get is a lot of personal gratification from pulling off the project, and one of the world's largest RC transmitter.
sgofferj

Re: How to connect USB joystick via 9X or 9XR?

Post by sgofferj »

You don't need a computer. There are standalone USB-PPM interfaces like this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... h=joystick
mummi

Post by mummi »

sgofferj wrote:You don't need a computer. There are standalone USB-PPM interfaces like this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... h=joystick
Why don't they sell that with out the joystick :|
mummi

Re: Sv: How to connect USB joystick via 9X or 9XR?

Post by mummi »

dvogonen wrote:There is no USB interface in the 9x, so you can not connect directly. What people are doing is connecting their joysticks, gamepads etc to a computer and use the computer to convert the digital serial data from the joystick into the signals transmitters can receive via their trainer ports. This could be done with pretty much any transmitter, not only the 9x

The effort is not trivial, since you need some kind of device that can be connected to the PC and that is capable of producing PPM (an Arduino is the obvious choice). Then you need special software in your PC that takes joystick input and transmits it to the Arduino. Lastly you need software in the Arduino that sends the PPM.

What you would get is a lot of personal gratification from pulling off the project, and one of the world's largest RC transmitter.
I hope some one has cut out the middle man (PC) and just built an arduino device for this purpose :)

sgofferj

Post by sgofferj »

mummi wrote:
sgofferj wrote:You don't need a computer. There are standalone USB-PPM interfaces like this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... h=joystick
http://www.elemodel.com/shopen/html/product_1686.html

But: That's not a regular USB host... You need the special joystick. HK also has the kit with a modified Saitek joystick
Last edited by sgofferj on Sun May 05, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mummi

Post by mummi »

sgofferj wrote:
mummi wrote:
http://www.elemodel.com/shopen/html/product_1686.html

LOL it costs more than with the joystick at Hobbyking :S
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

mummi wrote:
Because the "USB" connectors on the device aren't really USB ports, and the joystick is actually modified with the USB circuitry removed. So it doesn't really do what you want.
mummi

Post by mummi »

Kilrah wrote:
mummi wrote:
Because the "USB" connectors on the device aren't really USB ports, and the joystick is actually modified with the USB circuitry removed. So it doesn't really do what you want.
ohh.. great!
rtrentler

Post by rtrentler »

Check out the project by Ian Johnson. The key to usb joystick integration is that you need to add a usb host controller, plus the libraries for it to the Arduino. The usb host controller is a $20 chip that can be added to the spi bus. It will allow you to add any usb device.. ie joystick, steering wheel with pedals. His code will allow you to capture all the joystick buffer events, which you then need to use bitwise operations to mask out and use. I had experimented with this a while back but could never get the ppm to work properly with my spectrum DX7, as his code is designed to work with a futaba trainer cord which is electrically different at the signaling level. He now has a mod listed that will allow use for spekrum. You could either build his project and plug in through the trainer port, or you can integrate the usb host controller directly to the spi bus on the Arduino in this controller.
Aldelph

Post by Aldelph »

Hello guys.
Somebody has built it?
I have a T9x.
Could connect a usb joystick to it without PC?
Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The 9X and 9XR do not have a USB port, so no.

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Aldelph

Post by Aldelph »

oh! really????? :lol: :lol:

I know.... I'm not a great electronical ingineer, but anyway.
I'm interesting in Arduino. but only since 1 week. And I couldn't build a complete interface to change USB input into PPM output.
Is there anybody here who had make it? with an USB host shield for arduino uno.
Just to replace the 2 sticks of the T9x by a joystick without PC. To fly FPV like Tom cruise an F14.
tonnie78

Post by tonnie78 »

I haven't gone in the direction of converting USB to my transmitter. I just took out the pcb from a Logitec Extreme 3d Pro and replaced it with a Arduino to generate cppm for the trainer port.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Aldelph

Post by Aldelph »

So you take potentiometers pwm signal (tension) directly to the arduino?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Potentiometers don't give PWM, they give an analog voltage, but yes...
Aldelph

Post by Aldelph »

Yes, my English is limited....😁
You used which sketch to convert analog input to ppm output?
tonnie78

Post by tonnie78 »

Yes I directly feed potentiometer signals to the analogy inputs on Arduino.

I also replaced the buttons on the joystickhead with a slide potentiometer. And took away the throttle from the base.

This one is build for a person with a lame left arm. He stopped flying after an accident a long time ago. Now with this stick he has full 4 axis control over an model airplane with 1 hand. Build a second one also on request.

tonnie78

Post by tonnie78 »

I will post the code when I am back at my laptop

SpainRC

Post by SpainRC »

tonnie78 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 am I will post the code when I am back at my laptop

Hello Tonnie, Any luck you have shared this code elsewhere?

I have just tarted looking into this same concept, and found this code https://github.com/speters/pwm2x/blob/s ... _encoder.h which looks a lot like something I read from Oscar Liang (did not have time to find it) when I found this old post.

Congrats on you project and was hoping this would have been shared somewhere.

BTW, how is the latency been handled? Do you notice it when you fly?

Return to “Hardware”