Throttle Stick loosing its calibration?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
bob195558

Throttle Stick loosing its calibration?

Post by bob195558 »

Has anyone, have had a problem with the left Throttle Stick loosing its calibration? ........

After installing several downloaded EEPROM Model (Settings) programs of v911 helicopters, v929 Beetle Quad and Trex 450 helicopters from a friend, his Fly-SKY 9X and my Turnigy9x Radio's with er9x (stable version) installed on them, is now randomly losing its Stick Calibrations. Sometimes the Throttle and Rudder display (DOT) is floating around underneath the Center Point of the left side display screen and the Throttle Stick is at the bottom of its throw and not being handled in any way. And sometimes the throttle (DOT) was just up under the center point of the display screen when the throttle stick is at the bottom of its throw. Each time this happens we have been recalibrating the sticks and pots, but after several minutes our 9X Radios lose their Stick Calibrations. When viewing the Stick Display Screen the DOT will randomly changes position before our eyes. It almost behaves as if there is a computer virus in the 9x Radio that after several minutes takes over the Throttle, Rudder Stick Controls. When flying any one of the models we are losing control of that model and bad destructive things happen as a result. ...........
I have no idea what is happening to the Stick Calibration. Is there anybody who has any idea to what may be happening to cause this deterioration in the Control of the Sticks Calibration?.............

Best regards,
BOB195558

Could it be the way the downloaded EEPROM Model programs are setup that are causing conflict with the stick calibration, therefore causing the problem?
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Scott Page

Re: Throttle Stick loosing its calibration?

Post by Scott Page »

Physically examine the Pot on the gimbal for throttle. Assure that it's not coming apart.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

The Pots on the gimbals look good and have no looseness about them. ........
I removed the downloaded EEPROM Model programs (Settings), of the v911 helicopters, v929 Beetle Quad and Trex 450 helicopters I got from a friend.
And put back the Model programming that I had on my radio before this problem started.
At first I have much improvement, but it still would go out of calibration on its own, but not as much as it was.
I then selected each of my old Model programs and Recalibrated my 9x Radio with each of them. .......
For some reason my 9x Radio seems to stay calibrated better and longer as I recalibrated each Model program. .......
I am not sure if what I am doing has any connection with the improvement that I am seeing. ......

Some of the older Calibration instructions with the older er9x Manual, may have outdated terminology to the newest er9x stable flashing firmware.

This is the process that I am using to recalibrate my 9x Radio.

CALIBRATION (6/6)

1) Press [MENU] to start Calibration.
2) Set all sticks and Pots to center. (The Throttle/Rudder Stick and including the 3 Pots)
3) Press [MENU] Then Move all Sticks and Pots through their full range of movement.
4) Press [MENU] to save new calibrated settings.
5) Turn 9x Radio OFF for several seconds to save new calibrated settings.
6) Turn 9x Radio ON and you are done calibrating your 9x Radio. (New values are saved now).
ReSt

Post by ReSt »

You dont need to turn off the radio to save the calibration values.
But if you turn it off, wait several seconds before you do it, because it may take some seconds before the values are saved.

Reinhard
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bob195558 wrote: I then selected each of my old Model programs and Recalibrated my 9x Radio with each of them. .......
For some reason my 9x Radio seems to stay calibrated better and longer as I recalibrated each Model program. .......
Calibration is saved only once and is global for the radio, not model-specific.

99.9% of such problems are due to a bad pot. You might not see anything, but gently twisting the little board that connects the wires to the affected pot would reveal a problem by getting the servo/visual indication on the screen to move.

bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Thank You All for your very good info about this Stick Calibration Problem.

To Scott Page and Kilrah: I went back and rechecked the connection end of the Pots and found they are causing a problem for there is movement with the pot and circuit board. ......
I thumped my 9x Radio into the palm of my hand and the calibration Dot went out of calibration.
I then thumped my 9X radio again and it went back into calibration, so it is sensitive when getting a thump to the side of my 9X radio. Looking at the Pot and it's Circuit Board I am not sure how to fix it. ......
I opened up my 9x Radio and hooked everything up as if it was altogether and turn the radio on, and lightly touching the Pot Circuit board and I could easily move the calibration dot around on the screen. ......
I'm not sure how to fix the problem, I have been thinking about trying to glue the connection end of the pot to the side of the gimble in order to try to restrict its movement. .....
And maybe it could be better to try and replace the gimbals with better quality ones that could be purchased for a reasonable price? .......

Thank you Reinhard and Kilrah also for your info about calibration.

Any suggestions to how I may be able to fix this problem I will appreciate it.

Best wishes,
Robert

My new revised 9x Radio Calibration Instructions. (2/5/2013)
CALIBRATION (6/6)
1) Press [MENU] to start Calibration.
2) Set all sticks and Pots to center. (The Throttle/Rudder Stick and including the 3 Pots)
3) Press [MENU] Then Move all Sticks and Pots through their full range of movement.
4) Press [MENU] and wait several seconds for the new calibrated settings to be saved.
5) After several seconds have pasted your 9x Radio is now newly calibrated.
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

I've never fixed one of these, but have read about people that used hot melt glue to hold the pot together. One nice thing about trying hot melt is it is easily removed with application of alcohol.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

It's been posted and if dine carefully has worked for me many times fixing this. The connections to the pot elements are compressed contacts, basically eyelets.
I disassemble the pots and with a needle nose pliers, re crimp the eyelet contacts.
No more issues!
The warp hot glue fix is not a fix, it's a rubber band patch in my opinion.
SM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

OK You have to see what I did to fix two 9x Radio's with the same Throttle Stick POT Problem. YES the end part of the failing Throttle Stick Calibration problem, is with the 99.9% Throttle Pot failing to work properly. But the cause for both of one Turnigy9x Radio and the second FlySky 9x Radio that had the same exact problem at the same time, .................. is (I believe at this time) caused by bad Model Programming and/or conflict between the different Model programs which caused damage to each of the Throttle Pots.

Review past events:

First: Both 9x Radio's were working solidly with no problems at all.

Second: A group of downloaded Model Programs of v911 helicopters, v929 Beetle Quad and Trex 450 helicopters from someone through the Internet were installed on both of these 9x Radio's. Both 9x Radio's after this had the ALERT Throttle not Idle, Reset throttle, Press any key to skip, message. Because we all see this message when we fail to make sure the Throttle Stick is not all the way down, we check or move the Throttle Stick and/or Press any key to skip which is what we did. The Throttle Stick was all the way down when this warning message came up, but we did not take notice of it because this happens from time to time and so we Press any key to skip.

Third: As we used our 9X Radios a little at first, we experienced Throttle Stick Calibration was being lost. Without feeling too concerned about it we simply recalibrated our 9X Radios and continued to fly. As time progressed the throttle stick would randomly lose its calibration even when flying our models. Also when viewing the calibration dot on our radios it would float around on its own. This then quickly became a great concern and we both viewed this as a major problem. We both then went individually to the RC forums for help.

Fourth: I then removed the Downloaded Model Programs because before this is when this problem started. I then went back and installed the basic ParkeFlyer Sample Models program. This helped some after re-calibrating to help with better stability to the throttle stick calibration. But still would not stay calibrated for very long. I then went and reviewed the calibration procedure to make sure that I was performing this process correctly. After this I rechecked my throttle Pots after reading the very good information saying that 99.9% of the problem is usually in the Pots themselves.
I found the small circuit board that is soldered to the three connections that are fastened to rear fiberboard was easily shifted back and forth, which easily changes the calibration. I did not perceive this problem the first time I checked it. Even though the throttle pot in both 9X Radios were performing perfectly before installing the Downloaded Models program it now was still very unstable and repeatedly losing its calibration.

Fifth: After fixing the Throttle Pot in the FlySky 9X Radio and reflashing it back to the Stable ER9X program and installing the ParkeFlyer Sample Models, this 9x Radio is really working solidly again.
Then to see what would happen, I installed the Problem Downloaded Models Programs of v911 helicopters, v929 Beetle Quad and Trex 450 helicopters from the Internet back into this FlySky 9X Radio.
The results were, when I turned on the 9x Radio, the Throttle Stick ALERT Throttle not Idle, Reset throttle, Press any key to skip, message was back and I had to click another button to bypass it again. I then re-calibrated the 9x Radio again and when I turned on the 9x Radio, I had the same results of Throttle Stick ALERT again even though the throttle stick was all the way down in its home position. I then removed the Problem Downloaded Model Programs and when I turned on the 9x Radio again it booted properly with no Throttle Stick ALERT message.

Sixth: It appears that there must be a problem with the Downloaded Models Programs from the Internet. I am new to this hobby and I am not a programmer so I'm not able to understand the logic of what is causing the conflict and/or problem. But it appears to me, that there is definitely some sort of problem with how the Model Programming can be set to cause damage to our 9X Radio's Pots.

Seventh:
What I ended up doing to fix the FlySky 9X Radio is I remove the Throttle/Rudder Gimble and the two trim circuit boards and I carefully pried and carefully pried the three tabs up on the Throttle Pot. I closely inspected the interior of the Throttle Pot and could see that the Pot was in very good condition. On the Gimble side of the Throttle Pot I cleaned it with electronic cleaner and inside of this there are three sets of contacts. The contact set that is closer to the center of the pot may have not been making good contact with the fiberboard side of the Pot, which I had removed. So I gently carefully bent those two contacts out a little more.

Now on the removed part of the Pot (the fiberboard part) a layer of grease spread over its surface and under the grease there is what looks like a thin layer of carbon that appears to be separated into three sections. The grease to me looked like it may be an excessive amount, so I removed some of the grease. I believe the grease is a special lubricant so that the contacts do not wear out quickly and is needed. I then reassembled the pot bending the three tabs tightly back in place and using Loctite Repair Extreme glue, I glued the outside of the Pot to the side of the Gimble. I also used a small screw and washer in the lower whole of the Gimble to clamp the Pot tightly to the side of the Gimble. This will keep the exterior of the Pot firmly secured to the side of the Gimble.

Eighth: I also use the Loctite Repair Extreme Glue on some of the wires to hold them firmly in place so that they would not pull the Pot out of calibration when using the throttle sticks. After reassembling this FlySky 9X Radio I turned it on and calibrated the radio and there was a great improvement with the Throttle Pot Calibration. It appears the damage with the Throttle Pot is now fixed. The radio is now performing like it did before the installation of these Problem Downloaded Models Programs. Hopefully someone will be able to discover how the Model Programming can cause damage to the 9X Radio's Pots.

Best regards,
BOB195558
kaos

Post by kaos »

I doubt the program will cause a pot to go bad. If it is, that would be a super hacker program. ;)
It could be an intermittent thing coincident with your changing program. if the pot is fixed now, one way to confirm this would be reload the 'damaging' program again and see. (if you are interested doing this again ;) ) or may be the program that is downloaded has a way off calibration in it. use eepe to turn the alert off before reload.
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Agreed. The day then software, causes then pots to die will be a miracle indeed!

I can understand something that receive an output. (speaker/motor) but not an input.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Slope Soaring, FPV, and pretty much anything 'high tech'
...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

What is happening to you is that when you flash another eeprom into your radio you are also flashing the calibration values from the radio where that eeprom was created, causing your radio to lose calibration.. if you want to load models into your radio, please download your eeprom to eepe, then open the other eeprom where those models are, copy the models to your eeprom, close the other eeprom, and flash YOUR eeprom back to the radio.. like that you will keep your calibration and all your settings

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

Good call João! Had not thought of that.
JackQ

Post by JackQ »

Hi,
I am new to the ER9x and just installed it on my Turnigy 9x. I installed the latest rev, 782.

I am having the same problem with the throttle not holding its calibration properly. I don't know if it has anything to due with the new rev, or if something else is going on.

I do the full calibration, as described, and then notice that the max/min throttle are not remembered properly. When I rerun the cal procedure (done it many times), the same thing happens. The last time I ran it, I noticed that even during cal, the max/min are changed. Example, the min is set okay when moving the stick, but after a couple of times moving around the square, the min will move upward, about 5-10%, so it is no longer a minimum.

I did examine the hardware and everything seems intact. The cal software seems to see the "real" min for a short time, but as I said, is then changed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

JackQ wrote:Hi,
I am new to the ER9x and just installed it on my Turnigy 9x. I installed the latest rev, 782.

I am having the same problem with the throttle not holding its calibration properly. I don't know if it has anything to due with the new rev, or if something else is going on.

I do the full calibration, as described, and then notice that the max/min throttle are not remembered properly. When I rerun the cal procedure (done it many times), the same thing happens. The last time I ran it, I noticed that even during cal, the max/min are changed. Example, the min is set okay when moving the stick, but after a couple of times moving around the square, the min will move upward, about 5-10%, so it is no longer a minimum.

I did examine the hardware and everything seems intact. The cal software seems to see the "real" min for a short time, but as I said, is then changed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
Does the calibration change even if you don't upload new models to the TX?

I suspect that it may be changing when you upload new models to the transmitter because upload also uploads the calibration. Once calibrated, you need to read the current readings from transmitter -- then make changes to this file -- and up load it back to the transmitter to maintain the calibration.

Why do I suspect this? Experience is a fabulous teacher. 8-)
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

he said that it loses calibration even when doing the calibration.. It could be a bad pot..

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Hi everyone,
Some INFO about this problem: Throttle Stick Loosing its Calibration.
A friend found this happening to him when using the er9x Stable r708 OP System install on his 9x Radio.
He is using eepe computer program, to program his Models and we both are having the same trouble with the throttle Calibration Not staying put.
My friend has been putting a lot of time working on this problem and has found some of the cause to loosing Calibration.

My friend sent this message to me:
I found that some of the problems are, when you copy the program to the computer from the transmitter,
if for some reason the throttle stick is not at zero, like you bumped it plugging it in,
it assumes where the stick is, is zero, thus throwing all the models out of whack.
Soooooooooo even though you calibrate it, It will try to go back to 1/4 stick or wherever you might have bumped it to.
This doesn't make since but it is what is happening.
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The radio doesn't record anything when you are copying the eeprom from it to the computer. The only way that the calibration could be changing is if you load the eeprom from the radio to eepe. Then copy the models to a new file, and load that back into the radio. This of course eliminates your radio general settings, where the calibration values are stored.
-Gohst
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

bob195558 wrote:Hi everyone,
A friend found this happening to him when using the er9x Stable r708 OP System install on his 9x Radio.
He is using eepe computer program, to program his Models and we both are having the same trouble with the throttle Calibration Not staying put.
My friend has been putting a lot of time working on this problem and has found some of the cause to loosing Calibration.

My friend sent this message to me:
I found that some of the problems are, when you copy the program to the computer from the transmitter,
if for some reason the throttle stick is not at zero, like you bumped it plugging it in,
it assumes where the stick is, is zero, thus throwing all the models out of whack.
Soooooooooo even though you calibrate it, It will try to go back to 1/4 stick or wherever you might have bumped it to.
This doesn't make since but it is what is happening.
When you download the model settings file from the TX to the computer in EEPE - Immediately double click on the General Setting and when the General Edit window opens click on the "Calibration" tab. Take a screen shot of that to see exactly what the calibrations are that you downloaded. When it's time to upload the model settings back to the TX be sure that the numbers match and your calibration will not change as a result of using EEPE.

What I would guess is happening is that the model settings file is downloaded and the models are moved to a different file which is subsequently uploaded with the default settings, those which are seen below. If this is NOT the case then the pot on the Throttle stick is going bad -- but since the same pot is used on all of the controls it makes no sense that the only pot that seems to give problems (overstated) is the throttle pot. A great % of the time the calibration changes due to inadvertent uploading of different calibration settings -- especially in newer users. I'm not even going to tell you how many times I did this before I figured it out. :D
eepe.jpg
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

bob195558 wrote:Hi everyone,
What version of eepe is he using? If he stays on r708 he should also use the matching old version of eepe, not the current one.

Nobody should be using that r708 anymore really..

Sent via mobile
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I agree that that version should be removed from the google code site.. Many people just download that one because it says "stable" but it is already very old.. Er9x got many more features since then. I don't even know if the actual eeprom is still compatible with that version..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

jhsa wrote:I agree that that version should be removed from the google code site.. Many people just download that one because it says "stable" but it is already very old.. Er9x got many more features since then. I don't even know if the actual eeprom is still compatible with that version..

João

Indeed. That version should be put out to stable. (farm reference for the Urbanites)
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

I have emailed Erazz. Believe he is the only one with permission to change that page!

...........if you think it should be in the wiki.. ask me for wiki access, then go add it!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

What do you suggest, for the most, best, trouble free, er9x 9xRadio operating system?

I used the er9x Stable r708 Operating System from the ParkeFlyer Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... uO5JD_7LVo

ParkeFlyer said it's the most Stable Operating System program for the 9x Radio's.
But if it is not so, then I should change to the new best Stable, Foolproof, Operating System for our 9x Radios.

The ParkeFlyer video covers all of these procedures for setting up the 9xRadio.
- Download Firmware and Software Tools
- Firmware Update Process
- ParkeFlye Sample Models
- Calibration

What do you suggest, for the most, best, trouble free, er9x 9xRadio operating system that a new person like myself should be using with my Turnigy9x Radio with installed SmartieParts Board so to save and update Model programs by connecting with USB to my computer?
Scott Page

Post by Scott Page »

When you load EEPE it will prompt you if you want the most recent release. Whatever that release is -- get it. These guys are very good at what they do a good job of regression testing as they release new updates. If there is an oversight it's always been minor - it's fixed within a day or two of the release.

What's very different about this environment is that the fluidity of the updates gives the user an ever improving product. In my experience ER9x is the easiest to use with EEPE.

HOWEVER Companion9x with Open9x has a wizard template that when run on the computer in Companion is just stellar for model setup assistance.

Unfortunately there is not a definitive answer between Open9x and ER9x -- however I do thing the definitive answer for the firmware is the latest they have available -- and both Companion9x and EEPE will prompt you to download the latest versions if you choose.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

As for the Computer Programs, yes they update all the time and I am doing the updates for EEPE Computer Program. Cool!

But what 9xRadio Program, in my 9xRadio would be the best to use?
I have installed into my 9xRadio the: er9x Stable r708 Operating System.
And it has been said that it is Out Date and should not be used.
I see there are several versions of er9x radio programs and being this is all new to me I am not able choose the best er9x radio program.

Its a lot to lean over night and I appreciate your suggests for the best, trouble free: er9x Radio Operating System.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Just download er9x from the preferences page in eepe. That's always the latest version.

Sent via mobile
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

download eepe and er9x latest versions.. they are stable as far as I can say.. Make sure you backup your models first as I'm not sure if the eeprom structure changed since then..
Just go for the latest. many cool features were added since 708..
João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
rokpedler

Post by rokpedler »

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I just wanted to share.
After getting my helis back up and flying after my ver. 3 sky board upgrade, I thought today I'd try and flash open9x just for the experience. After doing so, I got the same message at startup that started this discussion. Some other unrelated issues prompted me to go back and load the latest ersky9x fw. This also caused the same throttle error.
Not feeling very patient today, I just decided to go way back to ersky9x r148. All is back to normal again.
From reading this thread, it seems like a lot of hardware is going bad all of a sudden. I'm no expert, but I'm leaning towards fw.
BTW, I have been using only my 3 heli models. Nothing complicated. Built the first one with a template, and duplicated from there, with adjustments of course.
Now I know that my upgrade is different, but the error is the same.
This forum has helped me immensely. Just trying to pay back the best that I can.
Mike
Rob Thomson
Site Admin

Post by Rob Thomson »

Did you recalibrate after flashing open9x?

Return to “Hardware”