Flysky 9x buttons dont work correctly /not at all

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
scousethief

Flysky 9x buttons dont work correctly /not at all

Post by scousethief »

Hi all

I recently bought a Flysky 9x , its a great radio , last night it was working perfectly fine i turned it back on this morning and it continually beeps , the menu button doesnt seem to work ( long or short press)

Turn it on and the very first screen is Menu with the two main icons ( radio beeps every second or so )

menu button doesnot respond at all

every other button switches the display between model select and system settings no other options whatsoever.

Anybody have any ideas before i have to throw it in the bin and buy something else ?

Thanks in advance

Scouse

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Flysky 9x buttons dont work correctly /not at all

Post by MikeB »

These are great radios, the only problem is the quality control, particularly of the soldering, is not great.

You probably need to open it up, and have a look at all the soldering, also looking for possible 'blobs' of solder where there shouldn't be any.

Certainly don't bin it, at worst you will find plenty of people willing to buy it from you if only for spares, but we should be able to get you back working.

This forum is mainly for those who are re-flashing to custom formware. If you do change the firmware you will probably get more help because the firmware can also help to locate any problems.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Thanks Mike :D , ive taken it apart and cant see anything that would resemble a blob of solder or a bridge.

I did a "reflow" on the back board thinking that the beep maybe connected to the module but nothing was any better. I will try the main board and then i will take some pictures but i literally cant see anything wrong so im assuming its something very small lol.

Thank you for the quick reply

scouse

edit ive added some photos of the back of the main board , the dirty bits on the bottom are residue which i will clean up when i solder the usbasp in when it arrives , the problems occurred before this.
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2276/dscn4347.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/6517/dscn4346n.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4479/dscn4345c.jpg
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

I managed to flash the TX to the ER9X firmware using my arduino.

The very first screen that appears says "loading model 1" , im assunming i have a fault on the mainboard because of this , does anybody know how to track down what might be going wrong ?

Many thanks

Scouse
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Maybe you can take a picture of the error when it is on the screen?
I have not seen that message before from Er9x, how did you flash the firmware? What file did you use? What program to flash with? You should have gotten a message about the eerom needing to be formatted after you flashed Er9x.

-Gohst

scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Flashed using Arduino Nano setup as Avrisp

Program used was EEPE

I got the eeprom error when flashed

Turned the radio off and then back on and the very first screeen says loading model 1.

I think i have a faulty "menu" button or menu resistor ? its like as soon as the radio is turned on the menu button is pressed and kept pressed down.
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

I've just repaired a 9x that came with water damage. All 7 toggle switched were bad but the push buttons weren't, so far. Many got 9xs like this, msybe you also?
You should be able with your ohm meter check out each switch and weather one is shorted or is conducting when not pushed. The switch doesn't have to be shorted but just provide a resistance path to the 200 ohm resistors in series with them. It should be easy to trace and measure. Compare them to each other and one or more will be a lower open non pushed resistance between ground, the switch, the 200 ohm resistor it feeds, and to tbe CPU pin. You should find it quickly.

ShowMaster
Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Thanks showmaster , being completetly honest i can solder and thats about it lol but i will of course try my best to see what i can find.
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Please update your profile to show at least a country you live in. You may have someone close to you that can take a look at it. Many miss getting help because of no location listing. A town or city is even better.

Get your self a DVM (meter) and maybe we can walk you through what to measure. First it would be with power OFF.
A blowup printed board picture would help so you can check off what paths and switches you've checked. A schematic printout helps but many don't read them well.
So what test equipment(meters ect.) do you own now we can use?

ShowMaster
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Hi showmaster i have a very standard meter

http://media.onsugar.com/files/2011/01/ ... imeter.jpg

and there are 3 large images i took last night above that i can use as a guide.

Thank you

Scouse
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Ok, good enough. I see you're not near me but I'm sure others that are may offer more help
I'm away from home right now but will reread your post to get your malfunction narrowed down and see where to start.
Others may jump also now.
All the switches switch the 200 ohm resistors for that function to ground.
First thing to try is measuring across the menu buttons contacts to see if they read a high resistance (good) or a short as if the button is pushed. Also loosen the board screws and try the buttons again, and then remove the board and make sure a button is not being pushed due to miss alignment of the plastic?
Check off what its not and what's left it the failure.
Have you measured much on the ohms mode with your meter before?
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Never measured ohms before at all its basically been used to test V and continuity.
So far the left hand set of resistors measure around 196-199 except the very top left one which measures nothing
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

Those resistor values sound fine, I think what you mean by top left one, is the one up next to the regulator (marked 78l05). That 0 ohm one there is just a jumper.
Let's go to the third picture you posted. It shows the back of the menu and exit buttons. You can tell the buttons by their 4 solder points arranged like a square. The top pair is connected to ground, the bottom pair connects through a 200 ohm resistor to the processor pin. Hold you meter with one probe on ground (one of the top pair of solder joints) and with the other probe touch one of the bottom pair. With the button not pushed you meter should say the same as when it wasn't connected to anything. Probably 'OL' for no load.
You can test the other buttons in the same way. Notice how the top set of solder points have a little cross that connects them to the green part of the board. That is how you know which side connects to ground.
-Gohst
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Yes they all read as 1( its on the left side so i take it thats the no load ) all buttons including the +/- and up and down read 1 when grounded, except , the menu button which briefly flashes a value of 1500 or so but its only for a second

thanks Gohst
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4479/dscn4345c.jpg

the item in red gives me a value of 150 the rest down that side give a value of around 200 +/-
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

The odd one you have marked feeds the battery voltage signal to the processor.
-Gohst
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Ahh k.

I think im going to have to either pay someone to fix this or just order another and use it for spares :( , that little resistor popped off , i obviously pressed far to hard , now i cant get the screen on :( at all , im looking through my gcard and sound cards to try and find the same resistor, but so far no luck.

Thanks for you help guys its seriously appreciated.

Scouse
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Don't panic. You can use a 1/8 or 1/4 watt or other small resistor with leads on it. You don't have to solder it back exactly to the original solder pads, just follow the trace back until you find a larger place to solder to. A 220 ohm will work if it's a 200 that broke. I'm not sure where it is on your board but you can cheat the values a little. A parts store should have standard values. A Dan of hot glue will secure it in place.
As for help. Ask around your club or field for a technical person that may help you. Gray haired persons usually have more experience in hands on repair because of job requirements in the "olden days". Less computers them. ham radio operators have in the past been more hands on in fixing their equipment. Look for antennas and introduce yourself. Many like myself enjoy helping out. One option is to not order a new 9x but maybe a ersky9x drop in board. You'll be programming and flying the same day you get it. It's also setup for telemetry interfacing to Frsky with very little soldering and modifying, and it talks!
You can ten fix your board and maybe help someone else out in your area since you'll be good at it by then.
Or... Hang in there and fix this one.

ShowMaster
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Thanks Showmaster for the help support and encouragement , im away back home to Liverpool tomorrow so i might as weel order those resistors to try when i get back.
It looks like 272 on the resistor so i suppose one of those 270 will do.
Either way its a 2 week delivery from HK so when i get back i will try again.

Thanks
Scouse
gohsthb

Post by gohsthb »

No 272 is 2.7k ohm!
http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/smdcalc.php

You knocked off the one for reading the battery voltage.
-gohst

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Resist ... 2349wt_982

Hi gohst, these ones ?

Im off home today for 4-5 days so when i get back i will tack some more close up photos of the boards and i will try to mark the "points" to test and the values , hopefully it will help others who are newbies like me at some point :D
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

Evening , back from Liverpool so its time for me to get on with trying to repair this tx :D , ordered another one from HK but its 2 weeks soooo...

Replaced the 2.7kohm voltage resistor and now the display is working and now i begin again at step one , testing the rest of the resistors lol , can anyone point me towardds the ones that are linked to the specific switches for Menu and Exit ?

At least my knowledge is expanding a little lol.

Scouse

edit , using the continuity meter and ground all buttons respond as ::

top set of contacts 001
bottom set 1030

except for the menu button which reads :

top set 001
bottom set 458
scousethief

Post by scousethief »

The above post is a perfect example of why you should not play with electronics whilst overly tired :D

Switches when using a continuity meter should be non responsive when not pressed and then 001 value ( on my meter) when pressed to show a connection.........................
Looks like i have a fault somewhere along the menu line , button works fine (removed and tested and its fine ) so it looks like the fault could possibly be along that menu trace somewhere.

The resistor gives me a 200 reading so i am assuming that it is fine , i just need to figure out where that line is going to ground...

Edit , lifted the pin on the processor that corresponds to the menu button and the screen still displays the loading model 1 message
Stolidedog

Post by Stolidedog »

I am having the same problem with mine. I think I arc'd something when I was messing around with my mods I was doing. Anyway, I got stuck at loading model the same as you. I went back to the original turnigy firmware and it seemed to work. Not wanting to stay there I retried to load er9x but back to the stuck loading model problem. I installed Open9x (I had it installed before I arc'd) and it works for the most part, but a couple of issues.

1) Switch errors: Fixing the switch in the wrong position doesn't clear the problem like it did before. Also pressing any key to continue doesn't work either....stuck!!! The work around is to put the switches in the right place, power off and on.
2) Splash Screen does not come on ever. Yes I know that it is a setting in the firmware and I have it enabled, but it still doesn't come on. I don't really miss the splash screen that much, I'm just pointing it out for diagnosis purposes.
3) If I go into the diagnostics screen of general settings (screen 4 of 6), the menu blinks between 0 and 1. I don't know if that is normal or not, I would suspect it to be 0 always because the menu key is not pressed.

Also an ohm meter set at 2000 ohms registers 405 ohms between the menu switch point when the menu switch is up and 000 when down. Zero ohms down seems right, but is 405 correct when the switch is open? Also I took the switch off the board completely and the switch seems fine (infinite ohms when open, 0 ohms when pressed). Also the other button switches show infinite ohms when open and zero when down. So all those seem fine. I just wonder if the menu button should be the same as the others or is 405 correct.

Anyway, if you resolved this issue, I would love to understand what you did to fix it.

Thanks!!!
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

turnigy 9x throttle toggle switch does not work anymore had to remove smartieboard due to short out the board with bad connections and the bad genie =smoke came out Steve from smartie boards help me get it back up and running but I no longer have it installed in my transmitter I have install the AR9X in the radio now and the mods were all removed telementry that needs to be done for the smartie board I dont know if the cut on the PCB has somthing to do with the switch not working please I need help to get the switch back to work HELP ME !! PLEASE !!!!!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

can you please use punctuation on your posts because without it we cannot understand what you are saying so you installed the ar9x board on your radio what mods did you remove normally you just remove the stock board and install the ar9x board you don't need the smartierpars board at all I would like to help you but I do not understand your post before the lack of punctuation remember that not all of us are native English speakers and I believe that might be hard for native speakers to understand your post above thank you

joão
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

Ok! It just stop working when I installed the AR9X Board. Now I removed the mod that is done for telementry. You know Were the cut for connection from back PCB were the modul gets connected the secound one from the top but from the diagram it shows its a ground wire so I cant see that stopping the switch from working I have version 220 for AR9X install to the radio
silversurfer48

Post by silversurfer48 »

Sorry its MY BAD ! VERS:1766 Mike Date:04-12-2016 SVN:ersky9x-r220 MOD: REVB
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That's better :) Ok, so the THR switch never worked with the Ar9x board. Do you know why the magic smoke was previously released? What happened?
Please post a good picture of the backboard.
Also, please remove the battery from the radio, and check the switch is working. For that use your multimeter set to measure Resistance, and measure between the switch pins and ground. Both pins of the switch should be connected to ground when the switch is OFF, and only one when the switch is ON.

João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “Hardware”