New 9x owner needing advice and encouragement

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
calla969

New 9x owner needing advice and encouragement

Post by calla969 »

Hello everyone,
My name is Chris. I am fairly new to the RC hobby (been flying for a few months) and am purchasing a FlySky 9x next week to upgrade form my current DX5e. I have never owned a computer radio and I'm pretty excited about it. I am currently flying 2 airplanes and a glider and I'm really looking forward to just basic model memory, much less all of the mixing and programming features. I am operating on a very tight budget as I have 2 small children and am paying someone else's mortgage for daycare!!! I want to hard wire a cable for a USB programmer as soon as possible. I have been reading what i can about everything and just want to make sure I get the right stuff and learn as much as possible before I dive in. I want to DIY to save money, but if I screw it up, that defeats the purpose. I also get a lot of satisfaction from learning new things and doing things myself. I've read through the wiki and watched a few instructional videos and it looks doable for me. My soldering skills are non-existent, but you have to start somewhere. In order to be able to flash a custom firmware, am I correct in believing that this http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-ISP-Program ... 564wt_1166 is all I would need to purchase? It looks like it comes with the necessary connectors and ribbon cable. I hace some soldering irons and solder, but I'm not sure they will be sufficient, so I will probably either buy or borrow a sufficient one.

Once that is complete, I would like to remove the module from my DX5e and add it to the TX with a switch that will allow me to choose between the stock, FlySky RX and the Spektrum RXs that I already have in all of my planes. Again, I have read a lot about this, but any specific/encouragement advice would be very welcomed. Also, I thought I would mention that if there is anyone in the Central Florida that wouldn't mind helping me out, I would be very interested to speak to you. I really don't want to send the radio anywhere as I feel it is very important for me to learn these skills and this is the perfect project for to achieve that goal. Of course if everyone tells me that I'm crazy to proceed with my lack of soldering experience, I'll reconsider.

I'm looking forward to receiving my TX and attempting some mods!! Thanks for the great forum and community!

kaos

Re: New 9x owner needing advice and encouragement

Post by kaos »

calla969 wrote: My soldering skills are non-existent, but you have to start somewhere.
that is the most difficult part. The rest is explained clearly in wiki that you have already read. I would practice PCB soldering on some old unused computer boards 1st. or you can fry your board really quick or short the circuit. and you need proper soldering iron, flux and solder to do this. you mentioned the budget is tight. hate to see you ruin your new Tx.
grab an old computer graphic card and desolder some components (that is similar to what you are going to remove from DX5e) on it (you need to do that when you remove your DX5e module from the Tx putting into the 9x) and resolder them back and see if it still works. If you pass that, you can work on your Tx.
I am not an expert in soldering either. read the section of soldering in the forum and on the web. It is not difficult but needs some experience and tricky sometimes. practice a few times, and you will be fine.
calla969

Post by calla969 »

Thanks kaos, I'll do that! Is the product I linked all I'll have to buy? I'm not in a rush to modify the TX. I'll use it stock while I practice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
kaos

Post by kaos »

But i think you will be better off to get a smartie board. now it only sells for 35.00 and it does not require any soldering. just plug in properly. You can't mess up your Tx. solder those wires without any prior experience is not fun. to save 20.00 and ruin the Tx does not sound a good idea.
Start doing some fine wire soldering and then pcb. Don't worry, there are plenty mods you can do with 9X that you will do soldering on the PCB in the future.
Just don't want to see you stop flying in the early stage of this hobby. ;)

Here is a link to the smartie board: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=331

while you are doing this might as well get the HK blue backlight, it makes the screen much easier to read. It worth every penny IMO: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=16720
calla969

Post by calla969 »

I might just have to go this way, but I'll still need to install the DX5 module. Is that a little easier than the programmer?

kaos

Post by kaos »

IMO, not easier. more components involved other than fine wires.
start doing some fine wire soldering that won't damage your Tx as practice.
like this one: you can gain experience of soldering fine parts and contribute to the function of your Tx:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25

there are plenty other little things you can try out 1st to practice soldering without damaging your Tx.
pmullen503

Post by pmullen503 »

It might make more sense to sell your DX5e and spectrum receivers and replace them with Flysky 6 ch receivers. I've had no problems with the Flysky receivers other than they are bulkier that Spectrum park flyer type receiver. Take the money you make and put it towards a smartieparts board and a back light. Having used both, I don't see an advantage to DSM2 over flysky for smaller planes (other than model match). For larger stuff, Frsky with telemetry makes more sense to me than Spektrum.

If you really want to keep the Spektrum stuff, and you don't need DSMX, the DM9 module is another option. These have been dropping in price (getting ready to release the DMSX version?) and plug right in.
calla969

Post by calla969 »

I'll have to give that some thought. My original thought was that I'd be able to install the DX5 module and fly my current planes without having to buy new RXs. Honestly, I've had some bad experiences with Spektrum and plan to eventually go to FrSky, so your advice makes sense. I have 2 DX5s, 2 ar600s, and 1 Orange RX. Might have to list them for sale. I'd be very happy if I could get the smartieparts board, back light, FrSky module, and 2 RXs.

mbanzi

Post by mbanzi »

I just added a new Wiki page documenting the process I went through to make several mods to a brand new FlySky transmitter. Take a look:

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/ ... on_your_9x
kaos

Post by kaos »

nice , everything at one place. 8-)
calla969

Post by calla969 »

OK, so I've been practicing on some old computer parts and I feel like I'm getting the hang of soldering. I feel pretty confident that I could perform the installation of the programming cable since there are nice neat little pads to solder too (this is correct right). I've been practicing with thin wire and I've not had any problems. I don't think I've had anything get too hot and the joints look good. Not too much solder and nice and shiny! I don't have any desoldering pumps or braid, so I've been using some of the bazillion strand wire removed from a dead lipo the same way you would use the braid with decent success. Surely wouldn't use this for anything for real, but I've been able to remove some components to practice with. One question I have is about mu iron though. I have a Weller SP-23 25 watt iron. It is not a grounded model (2 wire plug). Would I be crazy to try to use this or is the chance of messing the board up because of this pretty low? I was also thinking I could connect a 3-wire plug and attach the ground wire to one of the screws in the metal body of the iron. Would this work? Is it necessary? I'm thinking that if I can get this done for the cost of the programmer (+- $10), I could sell my 2 DX5e radios and the 2 AR600 RXs and use that to buy a FrSky module and RXs. THanks for the responses and thoughts.
Crucial

Post by Crucial »

I use the same iron for all of my fine soldering. Haven't had a problem yet. I think you are fine.
kaos

Post by kaos »

those braided wires as mesh is just fine, same thing, as long as it sucks up the melted solder. ;) Just practice desoldering some parts from your computer board, I felt the key is not to stay at one spot too long, then the heat get transmitted to the part you want. If the wicking is fast, you won't have that problem, but if not, you tend to keep the tip at that spot forgetting the part is heating up.
I remember I was doing the same thing, the pcb board is not hot, but when touching the part, it was hot. I almost thought I burned it. The heat is transmitted through the metal footing, not pcb board. ;)

Return to “Hardware”