Newcomer to Taranis and OpenTX. How do I set up Trainer?

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
VarietyPack

Newcomer to Taranis and OpenTX. How do I set up Trainer?

Post by VarietyPack »

My friends need help flying, and I'm their IP. When my old Dx6i had some pots die, I decided to move to FrSky instead of fix it. They can't afford new radios, I can't afford old radios. I also haven't been able to figure out how to set up Trainer binding like we used to do with the old Spektrum boxes.

I have set a Special Function to Trainer and enabled it, but I don't get the Trainer menu screen that I have seen other people use on YouTube. I plug in the jack and get the little haptic buzz with a beep, but I can't find the Trainer menu screen and my Trainer dead-man-switch doesn't do anything.

What am I missing?
To save everyone time, I lost all of the fingers on my right hand. Some fancypants surgeon put toes on my hand and called them "tingers". So now I have to use the rare Mode 3, and Taranis has proven to be very... handy...

Daedalus66

Re: Newcomer to Taranis and OpenTX. How do I set up Trainer?

Post by Daedalus66 »

Have you gone to Model Setup and chosen Master, Jack, then to Radio Setup, Trainer page. That should get you started.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I think he is trying to setup trainer between the X7 and an Dx6i??
I am not sure that will work without some kind of mod??

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

As I recall, the DX6i has an inverted trainer signal. I don’t remember any details, but I do recall that it is also essential to use a mono (not stereo) trainer cable and that this transmitter has often been troublesome in the slave role. It can be made to work, but it is not standard. Sorry, that’s the extent of my (possibly erroneous) recollection.
VarietyPack

Post by VarietyPack »

Wow, I feel like a dunce. I didn't know how to reach the radio set-up page.

I got it to work just fine, although it scrambled the channel order for some reason. I'll test it tomorrow and see if any problems arise.
To save everyone time, I lost all of the fingers on my right hand. Some fancypants surgeon put toes on my hand and called them "tingers". So now I have to use the rare Mode 3, and Taranis has proven to be very... handy...

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can change the channel mapping on that trainer setup page.
VarietyPack

Post by VarietyPack »

Thanks, yeah. I have trainer working now.

Return to “Hardware”