[Q7s] Popup of a joystick menu at startup 2.2.1

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
vian31

[Q7s] Popup of a joystick menu at startup 2.2.1

Post by vian31 »

Hello all,

Yesterday I solder a couple of wires to install an external charge plug to my Q7s. I precise that I removed the main PCB to check the rear soldering of power pins. After re-installation of all, I found the sound not working anymore. I then checked all internal connections and plugs, I found two wires badly inserted at level of the left white connectors going from mother to upper PCB. Sound came again normally. This night I charged well the radio and this morning: surprise ! A new menu has come that where not present yesterday after the tests. Please see the picture attached.
Menu at startup
Menu at startup
When I choose USB Joystick, the radio is working normally. If I choose the Stockage USB, the radio freeze and nothing is working.
Viewing that I decided to use the "Reset to default" option in the radio config page, but the menu is still poping up.
Second problem: I went to the PC to re-install OpenTx 2.2.1, then got the radio in Bootloader mode as usual, and second bug: the radio is already indicating that USB is connected although I haven't had connected any cable yet.
Bootloader
Bootloader
And the last: exiting bootloader mode or shut down the radio is not possible anymore...
Then I suspect a short circuit or something like that, someone skilled could help please ?

Many thanks
Vianney

Kilrah

Re: [Q7s] Popup of a joystick menu at startup 2.2.1

Post by Kilrah »

Something is putting a voltage on the USB positive supply line so the radio thinks it's connected to an USB port.
vian31

Post by vian31 »

Kilrah wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am Something is putting a voltage on the USB positive supply line so the radio thinks it's connected to an USB port.
Ok thanks, I will investigate into that direction...
vian31

Post by vian31 »

After a complete check of the mother board and wiring, I cannot found any faulty thing... Really a mystery, let alone because it did not appear just after my mod. I checked with a multimeter if there is any link between USB's VCC pin and another + of the board, nothing at all. Very strange again.

My question now: Is it a problem for piloting safely ?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

What voltage do you measure on the USB VCC pin? and i you follow that onto the mainboard?

I do not think it is a safety issue. You could set the USB mode to Joystick in the radio settings menu to avoid having the popup and/or selecting storage by mistake (which disconnects the SD and locks the menus as you've seen).

It is a bit of an issue since you can't power the radio off anymore though so you won't be able to do a clean shutdown where everything that needs to is saved, and as a result you'll always be in the "emergency mode" where the throttle/switch warnings are skipped and the SD is disabled so no more "voice" sounds, telemetry logging etc.

vian31

Post by vian31 »

Kilrah wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:12 pm What voltage do you measure on the USB VCC pin? and i you follow that onto the mainboard?

I do not think it is a safety issue. You could set the USB mode to Joystick in the radio settings menu to avoid having the popup and/or selecting storage by mistake (which disconnects the SD and locks the menus as you've seen).

It is a bit of an issue since you can't power the radio off anymore though so you won't be able to do a clean shutdown where everything that needs to is saved, and as a result you'll always be in the "emergency mode" where the throttle/switch warnings are skipped and the SD is disabled so no more "voice" sounds, telemetry logging etc.
I haven't performed voltage check anymore because of time missing. i will do it later. However I can start/shut down normally the radio if I do not start it in bootloader mode. Only shut down in bt mode is not possible.

Everything looks to work properly, and discussion with OpenTx too. The second inconvenient is to have each time the Joystick/Storage menu at startup.
I am so furious... I cannot understand what is wrong because everything was OK after my sound issue.
Vianney
vian31

Post by vian31 »

Hi all,

I am back after few investigation on the radio. I had a big fright these days because the transmitter did not want to power ON anymore. I had just a small sound on the speaker but nothing more... This morning I plugged a headset into the speaker external plug and also into the TRN plug, just for "moving things", the radio powered ON ! But I still have my USB issue. Then with a multimeter I checked the USB VCC line, I have 1.04V permanently when the Tx is ON and on all the line in purple on the picture. After the diode D504 I have 5V going well to the pin on the left.
X7s measurements
X7s measurements
Is it normal ? I guess that to have a voltage at the USB inline is not ok...

Return to “Hardware”