Turnigy 9X with OpenTX gone blackout

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
Nadim

Turnigy 9X with OpenTX gone blackout

Post by Nadim »

Hi there,

I've been using OpenTX on 3 separate Turnigy 9X for years, and on this particular 9X for about 2 years (can't remember the exact version... 2.x of course).

I was connecting it to a simulator dongle and (not sure the exact moment in which it failed), now it seems to have totally frozen. If I try to switch it on, I see for a half second the splash screen of OpenTX, and then display becomes all dark (like all pixels on), and it does simply nothing -- just a couple of beeps when I move the throttle stick up and down (nothing that I had programmed).

Is there a chance the simulator dongle somehow smoked something hardware inside the Tx? Or is it just the software which for some reasons has flashed out itself and need to be re-flashed? Is this a known scenario?

I don't have the programming board with myself now... I should be able to use it again in a month time or so.

I really hope it's not the Tx...

Thanks guys (also, pls forgive quaint English, I'm not native)
Last edited by Nadim on Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Turnigy 9X with OpenTX gone blackout

Post by MikeB »

Could be the contrast setting has been changed.
Using Companion simulator, it looks like you could try adjusting it on the radio.
Power up and wait several seconds (to make sure the radio is running).
Press LEFT LONG to get to the radio setup menu.
Press the DOWN button 4 times to get to the contrast setting.
Use the LEFT and RIGHT buttons to change the setting (LEFT most likely as this reduces the setting).

Mike
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Nadim

Re: Turnigy 9X with OpenTX gone blackout

Post by Nadim »

Wow, Mike thank you!

I was thinking about something much worse because the Tx was giving me strange signs (throttle stick beeps), but it was the case indeed. I restored the brightness. However... something deeper was going on.

Have you ever played with the old '90s Pokémon game on Gameboy, and remember the Safari glitch? :D Well, kinda similar! As soon as I restored the brightness to normal, a new ghost model named GGGDDDAAAAA or something was loaded, along with other queer things: model list (page 2) now started from slot no. 20 instead of no. 1, but as soon as I moved through the menu with up and down the original list was restored (starting from slot no. 1). Battery calibration and battery alarm voltage were gone as well and in their place there were random numbers.

I deleted this ghost model and the page 2 problem was gone, but I add to readjust battery calibration and alarms. I guess the eeprom got broken somehow, but it's precisely about this "how" that I have some doubts.

Now: can the 3,5 jack wire "send" signal back from the dongle into the Tx and flashing something? So far I haven't paid attention, while connecting it to the sim dongle, to the order in which I connect the jacks (Tx first, or dongle into USB first...), precisely because I thought that, through the Trainer port of the 9x, nothing could "get in". But yesterday's experience has left some doubts to me.

The only other thing that comes to mind, that could have caused such issue, is that I accidentally switch the Tx off while it was writing something... but that would be the first time in 5+ years of regular and frequent use...

Return to “Hardware”