9XR Pro forgets radio setup

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
mogplus8

9XR Pro forgets radio setup

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi All,
Been a happy Taranis user for some years, but couldn't resist a 9XR Pro from HK for $AUD38. Anyway I wanted the innards for a DIY transmitter project.
The first thing I did was flash it with OpenTx 2.2.1. After some playing I noticed that the radio setup (date/time, channel order, speaker volume etc) was not being saved. Every time I turned the radio on the date had reverted to 1/1/2001 (and all the other settings were reset to defaults). Is there a "save" button or something I've missed? So I tried the original firmware again and tried updating some radio setup items. After a switch off and switch on again the radio setup items were reset to the defaults again. So it happens using both firmwares.

The original firmware was ersky9xr_rom_r212.bin, the OpenTx firmware is opentx-9xrpro-sqtfont-multimodule-en.bin

Does anybody have any idea why my readio setup is not being saved? Models are fine, all the model setup stuff is saved across reboots, just not the radio setup stuff.

Thanks,
Ian

jhsa

Re: 9XR Pro forgets radio setup

Post by jhsa »

The radio should save the settings to the eeprom at shutdown. Did you already remove the mainboard and installed it on your other project? You might have broken the connection that detects when you are turning the radio off and therefore not saving the settings.
There could also be other problem of course.

Also check that the RTC battery is ok. It should be at around 3V.

Now my personal opinion. If you are DIYing a TX you might want to stay with Ersky9x. Latest version is 221.
The bigger reason is hardware support, as it allows you to enhance existing hardware and also add new one. For example replace 2 position switches with 3 position switches and / or add new switches and pushbuttons. It also allows for example Bluetooth for trainer purposes or just to send telemetry to an android device.
It can also connect to eepskye on your computer via bluetooth.

Ersky9x for all devices is still being developed while I believe the openTX team is only concentrating on frsky radios.

This is of course just my opinion. :)

João

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mogplus8

Post by mogplus8 »

Thanks for the quick reply João. No I haven't moved anything yet, I haven't even taken the back off the 9XR Pro. I don't know about the rtc battery, I'll check it tomorrow (it might not even exist).
The reason I flashed it with OpenTX is because I know it. I've been using a Taranis for about four years now. When I first started playing with Ersky9x I was immediately confused. I couldn't even figure out how to bind a receiver to the Tx. The software appears to do all the same things that OpenTx does, but everything's in different places, and I thought I really don't want to have to learn another programming methodology. Yes OpenTx is very Taranis centric, but the version for the 9XR Pro is pretty good, and everything is where I expect it to be. And I'm used to Companion too. Having said that I like the bluetooth support, so I may have to play with that. I'll be working through some of your videos over the next few days. Is there an Android ap that will talk to the transmitter?
Thirty minutes later and I've tried to install eepskye and eepe on my Linux Mint 18.3 machine. Both failed due to missing dependencies, specifically libqt4-gui. A few minutes with Google told me this package has been deprecated, and replaced with a bunch of other qt4 packages. I found a download for libqt4-gui.deb but it also failed due to missing dependencies. I pretty much gave up at this point as the fixes required look too complex for me to undertake. I also noticed that the deb packages are for a i386 architecture, but my PC is amd 64 bit. Not that that's such a big deal, but it may have contributed to the problem as all the libs I have installed are most likely 64 bit packages that may not work properly with 32 bit software. I'm no guru, but I like my packages 64 bit.
So for now at least I'm using Companion, and that means OpenTx. Again no big deal as I'm going to be away from my computer for the next six weeks or so as of next week, so my brand new toy will be gathering dust. I'll still be lurking in the forums though, so not completely out of touch. :)
Thanks,
Ian
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That was just my opinion as it seems you will DIY a new radio..
I believe the app for android is called "Frsky Dashboard"

The version of Ersky9x that comes with the PRO is very old and I think it still uses the same menu navigation as OpenTX?
That changed completely in recent versions (Thank God :D) It is now very easy and fast to navigate the firmware. You basically have radio settings and Model settings. Then you just open an Index list of all the menus on each one and navigate DIRECTLY to the desired menu. No more scrolling through all the menus to get where you want :)
Of course, you would have to know what is in every single menu. but even that is much more user friendly. If you think of an option and look at the menus, I bet you can easily guess where it is.. Mike really took his time to organize the menu navigation system and make it much more user friendly.
The protocol menu is much more user friendly as well.. In Ersky9x you can install another module in the radio, and with a little circuit I designed (and Mike implemented). you can also turn it on and OFF using the ersky9x firmware.. the same goes to the external module. And that is why you see Internal and external modules in Ersky9x ;) Each module can be turned On and OFF and be configured to all protocols, including the Multiprotocol module.. Doing it is also very easy and straight forward, at least for me. but i use it since many years :)

Where did you download eepskye from? Please try www.er9x.com as this is the official site for getting Ersky9x and Eepskye..

About your radio problem, when you turn the radio OFF, does it wait a little bit before it turns off, or does it do it immediately as soon as you turn the power button off?

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
mentero

Post by mentero »

mogplus8 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:20 pm .............................
Thirty minutes later and I've tried to install eepskye and eepe on my Linux Mint 18.3 machine. Both failed due to missing dependencies, specifically libqt4-gui. A few minutes with Google told me this package has been deprecated, and replaced with a bunch of other qt4 packages. I found a download for libqt4-gui.deb but it also failed due to missing dependencies. I pretty much gave up at this point as the fixes required look too complex for me to undertake. I also noticed that the deb packages are for a i386 architecture, but my PC is amd 64 bit. Not that that's such a big deal, but it may have contributed to the problem as all the libs I have installed are most likely 64 bit packages that may not work properly with 32 bit software. I'm no guru, but I like my packages 64 bit.
I am using Linux Mint (64 bits), and installed eepskye a couple of days ago, just downloaded the installer from www.er9x.com and let it run.
True that I had the previous version installed, but I cant remember any problem with missing dependencies when first installed.

After some time waiting for the return of the ARUni, I am also using the board of a 9XR-PRO purchased in a HK sale in a diy tray transmitter.

Miguel
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. Douglas Adams.

mogplus8

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi Miguel,
I downloaded both deb packages from www.er9x.com. I am using Mint 18.3, the latest version which is based on Ubuntu 16.04. Mint versions 17.x were based on Ubuntu 14.04, which included libqt4-gui. However it has been deprecated in 16.04, and hence Mint version 18.x.
I've been keeping half an eye on the ARUni board too. I stumbled across it over a year ago now and every now and then check it out. Still not available apparently. Right now the website appears to be down for maintenance.
;-) Ian

Return to “Hardware”