(xr radio problem

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
stotty1111

(xr radio problem

Post by stotty1111 »

Hi all
Hopefully a small problem, yesterday whilst using a flashed 9XR radio (v1.743, er9x-r820 frsky nt) I encountered a strange problem, the radio has a v tail mix, used to control a 2 x motored boat, whilst sailing, the boat reacts to tx commands immpecably for about 3 - 4 mins, the tx then loses control, switching it off and rebooting it re establishes contact/control for a further period then loses it, this is obviously a radio problem, any ideas?
I have reflashed the piece this morning and would hope to visit the pond later depending on weather conditions , it's p*ssing down currently
I am using a std flysky 9X tx module(no fancy stuff!)
It also did the same with another model with just 1 x motor and rudder.

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: (xr radio problem

Post by MikeB »

Has this started happening since you updated the fimrware, or has it been working OK and then started happening?

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

subsequent! - I should have added above, tried 2 modules both the same!
I thought it may be the mix as I think it was fine before!
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

It might be the power switch. It switches the power to the radio and to the RF module separately.
When you get a failure, go to the "Trainer" menu. If the RF module power is not present, I think you will see it show "Slave" only.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

Yeap it could be that, seem to recall I had probs initially, used switch cleaner and the probs disappeared.
trainer menu - > model setup -> general -> page 3 tick box trainer?

MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

No, the trainer menu is the one in the RADIO setup, where you configure the channels and scaling.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

ok , had seen that before I posted, do I need to make some settings therein?
didn't get to pond today, hopefully tomorrow!
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

Ok, some progress, stripped the 9XR Saturday evening to get at the main switch, removed it, gave it a squirt of servisol switch cleaner, then a squirt of silicone lubricant(not WD40, it was designed for space missions of 20 days way back when and its effect lasts for 40 days, WD - water dispersant) , bench tested it, no apparent probs. Reassembled radio, reflashed it with the latest firmware ie 820 with templates, transferred from another 9XR. Took a car chassis down to my local beach and gave it a good(30min) test.
No probs , as you, Mike, suggested, main switch, which I must admit is and looks a little cheap and nasty, a medium sized slide switch, these should be available in most electronic components shops, I know my local one in Chateaulin carry them, they are used on various pieces of kit and are susceptible to water/moisture ingress causing surface scale etc - the repair guy uses the same method as outlined above but also replaces 'em if gone too far.
Thanks Mike for the pointer etc and hope the above helps others with similar switch probs!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Yeah, the power switch on the PRO seems to be of bad quality. Mine also failed after a couple years. I managed to repair it and didn't have more problems with it so far. Here is the link for the post with some pictures of the switch before I repaired it. The contacts were absolutely black..

viewtopic.php?f=122&t=5657&start=180#p119850

Because of this problem I have designed a "Safety Power Switch" board that I use on all my radios. Funny enough, I still didn't build one for the PRO :) But I haven't been using it for flying. I will do though. ;)
But i use it on all my other radios. What it does is if the switch fails, both radio and RF module power will stay ON.

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
stotty1111

Post by stotty1111 »

ok thanks for the lead

Return to “Hardware”