s.port multiple telemetry sources or uart data

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
timemaster

s.port multiple telemetry sources or uart data

Post by timemaster »

Hi,

I am trying to figure if is possible to connect multiple telemetry sources at once to RX's s.port without additional hardware ?

I have pixhawk with frsky telemetry passthrough to X8R and I would like to add battery cells monitor. Can I merge these two sources just by splitting signal wire in s.port ?

And another thought, can I merge pixhawk telemetry source together with frsky UART converter ? I can't find any detailed explanation how this module works. Do you have some Mike ?

Thanks and have a nice day

TM

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: s.port multiple telemetry sources or uart data

Post by MikeB »

The SPort allows multiple sensors to be "daisy chained". You should be able to add all the sensors you mention. FrSky sensors come with TWO SPort connections to allow easy connection of multiple sensors.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Thanks Mike. I couldn't find any related information somewhere else, like on frsky website and so on. Maybe I was searching bad. There are two s.ports indeed on both - sensors and uart interface. I was trying to find some definition like "the upper one is master, lower is for RX" but there was nothing in manuals.. :)

I am interested in UART interface, can I influence it's bandwidth, speed or reliability by adding other additionals sensors ? I would like to understand the way data are processed and packed to radio stream.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

What would you like to do with the UART interface? At present, the only way of using this is to use two of them (an A and a B), and put one on the Rx and the other on the Tx. You then get a serial connection between them. Regardless of the baudrate you set, the bandwidth is low.
They have 3 modes of operation, Normal with self correction, high capacity bi-directional and high capacity uni-directional. The recommend maximum throughput for these are 30, 60 and 140 bytes per second.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Hi, sorry for lack of information from me. I have read frsky UART manual, so I know its possibilities. I am just curious to know if UART acts as another sensor, if its packing UART data the same way as sensors - some pairs of sensor address and its value, but bidirectionally - IMHO yes.

I am just trying to understand available technology and don't have set a goal.

Some of my first thoughts led me to try something like 3dr radio do - bidirectional data link for communication with ground station software. Console access to flight controller could be nice for debugging or tuning too. Or just to have Mavlink access from my tablet during flight - again for development purposes.

I know that there are many ways how to achieve this but I am trying to find the way how to get the most from just one radio link between RX and TX. Very interesting combination for me is something like
[flight controller rs232,frsky telemetry data] -> X8R s.port -> XJT -> [bluetooth module inside radio -> tablet, radio onscreen telemetry]

:) I know.. quite crazy setup..

I found some dead ends on forum with similar goals but no one tried frsky uart for that as I know..

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

With Ersky9x you can already do similar. The only limitation is that the existing android app for frsky telemetry only works in D8 mode, I think. I already had D telemetry displayed on my phone sent from my radio over bluetooth..
João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

jhsa wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 pm With Ersky9x you can already do similar. The only limitation is that the existing android app for frsky telemetry only works in D8 mode, I think. I already had D telemetry displayed on my phone sent from my radio over bluetooth..

João
Thanks I will try it..
But I thought about operations like update channel action in flight controller from mission planner on tablet in the field. Without taking apart drone cover and finding usb somewhere, starting pc and so one..
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

That would have to be specific to every flight controller then.. Not sure Mike would implement them all. :)
You can ask him though. ;)
João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

See what's done with cleanflight, parameter configuration straight from radio UI.
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

jhsa wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:49 pm That would have to be specific to every flight controller then.. Not sure Mike would implement them all. :)
You can ask him though. ;)
João

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk
I am trying to find something to help the community 8-) thus I don't want Mike to implement everything. I will buy some hardware, make some tests and when they looks good I will try to implement something on my own.. I appreciate anyones help of course :)

This is interesting piece of hardware and FRSKY is kind of standard as rs232 so it make sense to me somehow...maybe I am wrong but I will not sleep until I try it :)
Kilrah wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:54 pm See what's done with cleanflight, parameter configuration straight from radio UI.
Yes it is very interesting and these things will be really cool but I thing that it will take some time..
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Another possibility for Betaflight. It appears to respond to SPort data sent from the Tx. Scripting is now in ersky9x, and this supports sending SPort packets, so that should just be a matter of creating a suitable script.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

:roll: Hm I unexpectedly found another thread about frsky UART... viewtopic.php?f=95&t=7080 with kind of deeper insight to baud rates and current projects..
MikeB wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:59 pm Another possibility for Betaflight. It appears to respond to SPort data sent from the Tx. Scripting is now in ersky9x, and this supports sending SPort packets, so that should just be a matter of creating a suitable script.

Mike.
To answer you Mike and others, it seems that is better to spend almost the same money for betaflight board instead of uart interface which isn't interesting for future deployment.. Em I right?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The UART adapters are kinda redundant - much more efficient to talk smart port directly on both sides. Again see how this was implemented in betaflight, and you might want to port something similar to that code to whatever device you want to communicate with.
timemaster

Post by timemaster »

Kilrah wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am The UART adapters are kinda redundant - much more efficient to talk smart port directly on both sides. Again see how this was implemented in betaflight, and you might want to port something similar to that code to whatever device you want to communicate with.
I didn't catch that for the first time.. good point, I will look at it..

Return to “Hardware”