Taranis, Orange, and Radian UMX

Cant get your radio to work? General Hardware issues?
sanman

Post by sanman »

Hi there.

I have a Taranis+ and recently purchased a Radian UMX and the Hobby King ORANGE TX module.

I can get the module to bind to the UMX but I can't seem to figure out what channels the UMX board has assigned to RUD, ELE, & THR. I have tried the setup wizard with a traditional three-channel setup but could not make it work.

Does anyone have any channel info?

Thanks for the help!

Kilrah

Re: Taranis, Orange, and Radian UMX

Post by Kilrah »

Spektrum normally uses TAER order. Just try.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Since the Radian lacks ailerons, the channel order is TRE. In other words, the right stick controls rudder. This is the traditional stick configuration for three channel and is consistent with Spektrum practice on models such as the UMX Champ or Vapor.

Something that is essential with any of the Spektrum-equipped UMX models is to set channel limits to +/- 80% to avoid over-travel damage to the linear servos (100% on OpenTX and Er9x equals 125% on Spektrum). The exception is low throttle, which is best left at -100%, approximately the same as low throttle with low trim on Spektrum.; this ensures that the ESC will arm.

Because the Radian uses AS3X, it's very important to follow the instructions in order to initialize correctly.

The correct mode for the Orange module with the newer UMX models is DSMX 22ms, signaled by two flashes. It should go into this mode when bound.

Binding and relinking with the UMX models can be a bit slow and uncertain, even with a genuine Spektrum transmitter. It may be necessary to move the transmitter a metre or so away, and linking may take 20 or 30 seconds, especially if there is a lot of RC or WiFi activity (as we have at our indoor sessions).

The little Radian is a superb model. I think half our club has one and they all love it. The stabilization works wonders in enabling this little model to handle turbulence.
dhudspith

Post by dhudspith »

I just purchased a UMX Radian and am attempting to get it setup with my Taranis w/OrangeRX module installed. I've successfully been able to bind it to the UMX Radian. I found that the rudder channel needed to be reversed, but the elevator works normally. The issue I'm having is that the throttle doesn't work at all. I've tried -100 to 100 both normal and reversed. I've tried -80 to 80 both normal and reversed and I've tried -100 to 80 both normal and reversed. None of these have worked. I rebound after making each change and still I can't get the throttle to do anything. The only symptom I've seen is that I have gotten the prop to "twitch" at about half throttle a few times, so I know the motor is getting power and is connected.

Anyone have an .eepe that works with this model? Other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-Dave
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Try calibrating the ESC to the radio..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

dhudspith

Post by dhudspith »

No way to calibrate the ESC on the UMX Radian. That being said, I found a great deal on Craigslist for a Spektrum DX6 and solved the problem that way. I found several other posts on various RC Boards that the latest version of the OrangeRX Transmitter Module (the dip switch version) has throttle issues with both the UMX Radians as well as Nano QX BNF models. We'll see if HK fixes it with a ROM update, but as of now, you're pretty much hosed.
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

This is not the usual sort of ESC issue. It does not respond to programming.

The same problem has been reported elsewhere (by me and others). It appears that none of the three new Orange modules works correctly with the newer UMX models, such as Radian, Nano QX and Sport Cub S. The problem is that throttle does not respond, even when other controls work.

Please report to HK. We need to get their attention.

Return to “Hardware”