9XR PRO - eePeSKY

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
JamesPal

9XR PRO - eePeSKY

Post by JamesPal »

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

I'm struggling to get my 9XR PRO to communicate to the eePeSky Program. At first I started a thread in the hardware section for this computer. This is the link: viewtopic.php?f=123&t=7788

I have cleaned up and removed all of the old and unused USB device drivers (not the USB drivers itself, but the mass storage devices).

When I try to read the TX memory with eePeSKY it tells me the Disk is not Mounted.

This is what I have done:
1. Installed the eePeSKY program. Before I realized it, I incorrectly ran the eePe. It is still loaded on my computer.
2. The TX willingly goes into the Boot Loader mode. I press the rudder and Aileron trims toward the center and turn it on. The screen reports: Boot Loader v. 1.1. This is normal.
3. Once the boot loader is going, I plug the USB into the computer. The TX immediately reports it is connecting and the computer makes the connected sound.
4. watching the Windows 7 Device Manager, The following lines appear:
Other Devices:
! Unknown device
Portable Devices:
F:\
! WPD FileSystem Volume Driver
5. This lasts for about a minute and then the Other Devices and Portable Devices lines disappear. If I leave the TX connected, it drops out of the USB mode and then starts up into it normal mode.

Anybody got any ideas? I am :?
Last edited by JamesPal on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"None of us are as smart as all of us together..."
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: 9XR PRO - eePeSKY

Post by MikeB »

Try (if possible):
Remove the SD card from the radio and plug it in to your computer.
Download the 'latest' ersky9xr_rom.bin, and copy this to the "FIRMWARE" directory on the SD card.
Put the SD card back into the radio.
Now power on the radio holding the two horizontal trims APART. You should enter "Maintenance mode" and have the option to update the bootloader. Choose this option, then select the file you put on the SD card (use MENU LONG to select).

The bootloader is currently at revision 1.7.

After updating the bootloader, try restarting in bootloader mode and then connecting the USB cable.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

Mike, sorry for being a little thick, where do I get the current firmware?
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

http://www.er9x.com/.
Click on:
ersky9x for 9XR-PRO
under:
ERSKY9X (revision 217)

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

Mike, I installed the Boot Loader per your instructions. I wound up with V1.6. I'm not sure what happened. However, it seems to be acting better. It stays in the connecting mode. V1.1 would time out after about a minute.
It is pretty compelling there is a USB driver and or a timing issue. Most likely the problem driver is (or is not) on the computer. Can you advise what the correct driver is or where is supposed to be? My PC is loading the standard Microsoft USB Mass Storage Device driver dated 6/21/2005. I would like to try to manually load it.
History since my last post: When I first tried to connect the TX to the USB I got two failed (yellow triangle) Mass Storage Devices. One was (Code 10) the other (Code 47). I read on the MS website to try to clear the (Code 47) by restarting the computer with the device connected. I did this and indeed it cleared the code, but I still had the (Code 10) left. The good news was I got to one drive letter for my TX, the other still had the yellow triangle. I clicked on the drive letter and then all hell broke loose. The USB tried to reconnect, MS Explorer shut down and the TX screen stopped showing the two Firmware on the screen and reported No Firmware. The USB tried to reload a couple of times and then the TX stared reporting the two firmware files again.
At this point I am stopping for the night. Through all of this typing, Windows explorer is not showing drive letter, Device Manager is showing two additional mass storage devices. eepeskye is no joy, when I try to connect, I get two Read Revision = 1 messages.
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA

JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

So I couldn't stop without one more try. I closed all of the windows on my computer, started the TX Boot Loader, plugged in the USB and to my surprise, I got two windows USB connections and two Windows Explorer windows popped up asking if I wanted to view files. I closed them and reopened Explorer and sure as I'm sitting here I have two drive letters . One shows the contents of the SD Card and the other shows the bin files ERSKY9X and FIRMWARE. eepeskye will not start. I'm still getting the Read Revision = 1 message and the TX is reporting "Connecting"
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Tx reporting connecting is correct. You have both drives on the screen so that is also working.
On eepskye's "Burn" menu make sure the "Use Samba" box is NOT ticked.
EDIT: I have just read your post again. You are saying that eepskye does not even start?
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

Eepeskye starts with a message: Read Revision = 1, but it does start. On the Burn menu, under the gear icon, the Use Samba is not checked.

Even when the drive letters appeared the TX stayed in the connecting mode. Is this normal?

Note: rebooting the computer with the with the computer connected to the TX (in the boot loader connecting mode) cleared the USB problems. I had to do it twice, one for each drive letter. The computer sat in the after post before the loading windows screeen for a long time maybe 5-10 minutes. It is an i7 330mhz processor, X99 chipset running 16gb in Win 7 64 bit. I think it was digging pretty deep.
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

JamesPal wrote:Eepeskye starts with a message: Read Revision = 1, but it does start. On the Burn menu, under the gear icon, the Use Samba is not checked.
Please go here and download it again.

http://www.er9x.com/

Bottom of the page, left hand side.
Even when the drive letters appeared the TX stayed in the connecting mode. Is this normal?
Yes, perfectly normal ;)
The computer sat in the after post before the loading windows screeen for a long time maybe 5-10 minutes. It is an i7 330mhz processor, X99 chipset running 16gb in Win 7 64 bit. I think it was digging pretty deep.
Do you really mean 330Mhz?? :o :shock: If so, that computer would struggle with windows 98, never mind windows 7 :P :D :mrgreen:
Or did you mean 3300Mhz?? ;) :)

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

Gentlemen,
It looks like more progress. Thank you for your help. I would like to report that eepeskye was able to read the TX file. I was able to get the model simulator to work, but I could not control the simulator from the TX. I don't know if this is normal. It was interesting because eepe would only communicate with the TX when the AutoPlay Popup displayingg Removable Disk (F:) & (G:) was open. When I closed the popups, I got this message from eepe:
=================================================================================
Started AVRDUDE
D:/RC Aircraft/Eepsky Files/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/Jim/AppData/Local/Temp/temp.hex:i
=================================================================================
avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc

AVRDUDE done - exit code 1

Now after rechecking the connection, it seems the popups are not starting, but I do get drive letters in the hidden icons tray. It seems like there is a stability problem. Later I was able to go back in, read the TX, modify the settings on one model, but then when I went to write it back to the TX the connection had failed. I'm very concerned about trying to write to the TX with the inconsistent connection.
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA
JamesPal

Post by JamesPal »

:D Solved, thanks to Mike and João. I got a nice firm handshake from the PC to TX. I copied the EPROM edited it and sent it back to the TX for my first airplane edit. This was a learning experience. :D
Jim Palmer

Bellevue, Washington USA
dkdwong

Post by dkdwong »

This seems to be closes to my problem. I have never been able to load firmware (.bin or .hex) from eepesky. I have loaded plane setups.

The only way I have been able to update firmware is by loading to SD card and update directly on 9xr pro. This only words for .bin files as the 9xr pro does not recognise .hex files.

Now I bought a multiprotocol module from banggoods and want to up the new firmware. First I am using eepesky to upload the .hex file and the green line runs and shows success but nothing changes on my 9xr pro. When I try on the eepe I get the avrude error. Please help.

Also the experimental firmware zip file has several (5?) .hex files, which is the correct one for 9xr pro?
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

dkdwong wrote:
The only way I have been able to update firmware is by loading to SD card and update directly on 9xr pro. This only words for .bin files as the 9xr pro does not recognise .hex files.
Exactly, .bin files are for the ARM processor4s like the one on the PRO. The firmware is Ersky9x
HEX files are for the ATmega based processors. The firmware for these is called Er9x
Now I bought a multiprotocol module from banggoods and want to up the new firmware. First I am using eepesky to upload the .hex file and the green line runs and shows success but nothing changes on my 9xr pro.

Nope, you need to burn the .bin file if you have the 9XR-PRO, not .hex files

When I try on the eepe I get the avrude error. Please help.
Eepe is for Er9x. You need to use eepskye to flash the ersky9x bin file to your radio.
Also the experimental firmware zip file has several (5?) .hex files, which is the correct one for 9xr pro?
Nope, the Ersky9x test firmware files are all .bin files and not .hex files.. Are you sure you are downloading the right firmware?
The test firmware for your radio can be found at:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676

And the file you want is called "ersky9xr_rom.bin". Do not flash any other..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

I think he might be completely confused and trying to flash multiprotocol module firmware to the radio with eepskye...

So much potentially wrong there that it really needs a clear explanation from him of what he has, what exactly he wants to do and how he's trying to do it so we can get a grip on what the issue is.
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I agree.. I also had the feeling he might want to flash the radio with the multiprotocol file that IS TO BE FLASHED TO THE MULTIPROTOCOL MODULE ITSELF..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
dkdwong

Post by dkdwong »

Joao,

Thanks for the quick reply I will use the .bin file from your link.

I updated the eepesky and have successfully updated to pr219.

My confusion is the massive amount of information on 9x. I just was not clear on the specific requirement of the 9xr pro was completely different.

To be clear only ersky firmware works. Open tx does not load onto 9xr pro.

To avoid cross contamination of subject - can you give the link to the multiprotocol discussion.

and specifically multiprotocol frsky telemetry.

Thanks a million you guys are the best.

Daryl
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

OpenTX does run on the 9XR- Pro, but you must select the proper radio type to download the matching firmware.

Multi thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2709034
dkdwong

Post by dkdwong »

Kilrah,

Thanks for the information. I have posted the results of my try at the new module with 9XR PRO on the other forum.

Is the OpenTX software working better than Ersky?

Where can I find the proper OpenTX (.bin) file? Which one should I select?

thx
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I don't think OpenTX supports the multiprotocol on the 9XR-PRO? Or does it already?

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

No I don't think so.
dkdwong

Post by dkdwong »

OK for some reason the orange receivers are not working properly on Ersky PR219.

See my results on
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 34&page=10

Any ideas - is it working for you (Orange receivers)?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Working fine for me. The R615X is a DSMX receiver.
You need to use option = 2, I just checked with that and it bound OK and worked on all 6 channels.
See this post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165676, and there is a list of what the option settings configure. Option of 0 is 4 channels at 22mS frame rate, so you only get 4 channels, option of 2 is 6 channels at 22mS.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
dkdwong

Post by dkdwong »

OK I found that I had to use option 2 (searching internet).

Any idea why the servo output order is wrong ETAR instead of TAER?

Is there anyway of getting more channels (on PPM) from the R615X? I know it does not bind with option 8.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

The multi module accepts channels in the order specified in _config.h when you compile it, but then changes these round for specific protocols.
e.g. if you have compiled for AETR, and send AETR to it, then, if using DSM these will be converted to TAER.
If, however, you send TAER to it, then you will get ETAR out.

You might get 7 channels if you use option = 3, but I doubt you will get more than 7.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
dkdwong

Post by dkdwong »

Mike,

Got it. I see that this test version has been downloaded only 29 time so far.

Is there a separate forum where you get feed back on the test versions? I would like to see if anyone has other issues (so that I can stop asking the same). Also like to see the subjects of the forum stay on point.

Thanks,

Daryl
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

For general comments on test versions, try here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer

Return to “Software”