avrdude not talking to flysky 9x via eepe

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

Just completed wiring my flysky 9x so I could flash er9x, read the how to guides, double checked my soldering joints and wiring, loaded eepe and saved er9x hex file. Then plugged in usbasp programmer into mac then into radio, display came on but no sound power showing 4.5v. Pressed flash to tx - selected hex file - pressed ok - the "avrdude - backing eeprom from tx" is displayed. display on tx stays on after couple of minutes i close box and backup failed abandoning flash operation comes up. googled ever angle i can think for soultion some forums where saying need close to 5v to flash but others saying only need over 3.3v. ???????
Any ideas advice or direction would be greatly appreciated...... I even tried companion tx to install open tx but same kind of message "Could not check firmware from radio" :evil:

jhsa

Re: avrdude not talking to flysky 9x via eepe

Post by jhsa »

In eepe, after you try once again, go to the "Burn Menu/review output", and paste the result here..

João
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

hi jhsa
review output was blank
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Don't worry about the displayed 4.5V. The 5V from the programmer is passing "backwards" through the normal voltage regulator to the measuring circuit, resulting in a low displayed value. You will have the 5V from the programmer on the processor.

Try adding -B 100 to the "extra arguments" field in the burn|configure menu on eepe (I'm assuming you have all the other fields in this menu set correctly).

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

aerostarter wrote:hi jhsa
review output was blank
Could you post it here after it fails anyway, so we can see the error even if it is blank? Maybe the path to avrdude is not correct. It should be pointed to eepe's installation directory..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

Thanks for your help tried the extra argument, still nothing. What I will do is post pictures of setup might highlight an error.
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 00.28.07.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 00.27.55.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 00.27.47.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-28 at 00.27.24.png
eepe screen shots
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

9x.jpg
usbasp.jpg
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

In your burn configuration, you haven't specified the port number.. please select "usb"

But for the burn review to be completely empty maybe is not recognising avrdude? Please try after selecting the port.

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

hi jhsa
read post previously saying that I should leave port blank when using os x. I have tried previously selecting usb but I will try it again this time with extra argument .
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Where did you get your mac version of eePe?
The one that is linked on the googlecode eePe homepage does not include avrdude. It's also rev 402 that is a year old, not sure if it works correctly with current firmware.
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

Jhsa tried selecting usb with extra argument still the same? Kilrah might have to try this on a windows based computer see if thats the problem. Have tried companion x and its pretty much the same as I had read on another forum someone said eepe no longer supported mac but that was posted 2011 and then a post came in 2013 saying it is now supported...........confused !!!!!
Don't want want to give up and be stuck with flysky firmware and stock 9x, want like to learn and get tx fully loaded with mods. Thanks for all your inputs will go away and read up see if i can see where i'm going wrong.
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

Success !!!!!!!! Kilrah had a look and sure enough I had to download avrdude and put its location in the settings tab. got the latest stable er9x no problem
thanks again :D
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

You may wish to look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4598. While called test versions, they are stable.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
aerostarter

Post by aerostarter »

Mike B thanks for link, question you may be able to help with. Er9x works brilliant so much better then the flysky fw, every time I turn my tx off and left for a while, then turn on my elevator is out and needs calibrated again. I have read changing version may fix, is there any truth in that. I have currently version v1.2432-Mike / er9x-r816
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

That's usually a sign of a bad pot on the gimbal.
To check the calibration settings are not changing, read the EEPROM using eepe, then look at the calibration values on the calibration tab of the general settings.
If you turn on and find the elevator is out, repeat and check the calibration values haven't changed.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
manimani

Post by manimani »

Hi guis! I have the same problem - when I press "Flash Firmware to TX" I get blank screen "AVRDUDE Backing up EEPROM From TX" and nothing happens. When I close it I get this message: "Back up failed, abandoning flash operation". I have installed the eePe /Revision: 411, Apr 5 2015/ and I downloaded the avrdude-5.11. In the "AVRDUDE Configuration" in the MCU tab I chose M128 because on the chip of the motherboard of Turnigy 9x I see the number 128. I am using Smarty Parts board and I am running OSX 10.10.3. I also installed the FrSky DHT 8ch DIY transmitter module.

Aerostarter, i see you fixed your problem by putting the location of the AVRDUDE in the settings tab. I am new to this things and I dont understand if I have to put the location of the whole map "avrdude-5.11" or I have to choose a specific file from this map.
I have tried also to flash er9x with the command line from Terminal. It is flashing but at the end I get this message: "verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0100 0xff != 0x8b". I came across this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2199068 and I did it step by step but it didnt fix my problem.
Now I am stuck and I need some help. The radio turns on but there is nothing on the screen. I will also upload screenshots of the eePe messages.
Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
manimani

Post by manimani »

eePe configuration screen shot
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 17.12.52.png
manimani

Post by manimani »

Hi guys! I manage to solve my problem by following the steps on this link http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2199068
It didnt work first time but after I install libusb from here http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/ it worked. I also had to agree to the Xcode/IOS license.
Im still curios if you have any suggestions how to make the eePe talking to my radio. It seems easier to understand. Thanks!
Crashex

Post by Crashex »

Hi, I am trying to flash the new er9x firmware onto my 9xr. I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

Started AVRDUDE
C:/Program Files (x86)/eePe/avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m64 -P usb -U eeprom:r:C:/Users/ask80/AppData/Local/Temp/eebackup.hex:i
=================================================================================

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
             this check.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

=================================================================================
AVRDUDE done - exit code 1
It also appears the "Backup failed. Abandoning flashing operation" message. Would be thankful if anyone could point me towards the right direction.
The avrdude directory is set, I chose "usb" as port... should I choose one of the COM ports maybe?
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

Has this USBASP ever worked?
If not, have a look at the USBASP and see if it appears to have a resistor pack in the signal lines. There are pictures on this forum of USBASPs with these. They limit the signal drive and mean the USBASP can't connect to the 9X, due to circuitry on the 9X board. The solution is to wire across the resistors in the resistor pack.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
jhsa

Post by jhsa »

Also, are you sure your 9XR has an Atmega64? Perhaps yours has an Atmega128 processor? You need to check that..
I believe only the very first ones were sold with an m64..

João

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

jhsa wrote:Also, are you sure your 9XR has an Atmega64? Perhaps yours has an Atmega128 processor? You need to check that..
I believe only the very first ones were sold with an m64..
João
Yes. They sold it with the m64 for perhaps 4-6 months and I bought one. Then they went to the M128. I got a replacement board (for about $6!) that uses the m128, so still have the m64 board if anyone wants it.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Good for parts anyway.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Return to “Software”