Probs between Companion and Taranis

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
sande005

Probs between Companion and Taranis

Post by sande005 »

New to Taranis and OpenTX. Downloaded Companion 2.0.2 to try out connecting to radio. Was able to download and save eeprom file. However, could not upload - error on the radio about "bad eeprom data", it would reformat, and start me over at the calibration screen. Taranis is at version 1.1.02.

Found on the SIM in the radio Companion9x, ver. 1.33. Uninstalled 2.0.2, installed 1.33. Now can upload/download eeprom data, but of course original file is not compatible with lower version of Companion.

Tried saving flash memory using 1.33, as first step to updating TX software, but am now getting "Opening DFU capable USB device... Cannot open device" errors with TX turned off, or "No DFU capable USB device found" with TX turned on.
Have tried uninstall of 1.33 and deleted device driver ("STM32 BootLoader"), and fresh install of 1.33, with no change. BTW - with TX on and plugged into USB, STM32 does not show, but I do see a "FrSky Taranis Mass Storage".

So apparently I need to untangle what seems to be a mix of versions and drivers, and know how to start clean so I can update to the latest versions of both Companion and the TX? The hope is to restore my original eeprom file. Mostly academic, as there is only one plane with moderately basic settings, so the real goal is to get it all in sync and working as intended with the latest and greatest. Any advice?

sande005

Re: Probs between Companion and Taranis

Post by sande005 »

After some digging through threads and other documentation, I determined that I needed to also run zadig to allow STM32 to function properly. For those that may have questions on how to upgrade from 1.x versions, I downloaded zadig from http://zadig.akeo.ie/. Plug your TX into the USB, but don't turn it on. Verify that STM32 shows up under devices. Then run Zadig. Under Options, select "All devices". Then in the Driver selectbox, pick STM32, and install.
If you then install Companion 2.0.2, you can flash the firmware with the latest for Taranis. (or you can stay at your earlier version, and all will work). With the later firmware, the bootloader is on the TX, so the Zadig install is no longer needed.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Little correction:
sande005 wrote:(or you can stay at your earlier version, and all will work).
No, it will not. Companion 2.0 and above can only be used with firmwares 2.0 and above.
(To be precise you can READ an old version but can't write to it, or it will give the EEPROM ERROR as the old radio firmware has no idea what to do with the new data format).
WyDiablo

Post by WyDiablo »

But can you revert back to an older version of the firmware and have the older version over write the newer version?
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

You can of course flash older firmware, but then you must also reload a backup of your models and settings (EEPROM) that was done on the old firrmware. What I mean is that there's no way to use settings done on 2.0 with older versions.

New9xuser

Post by New9xuser »

Hi,
I have a problem with Taranis and "Reading Firmware from Radio". I have installed Zadig correctly and the Device Manager of my Win 7 installation reports that Universal Serial Bus Device STM32 BOOTLOADER is present and working correctly. I can upload EEPROM using Companion 2.0.5 but when I try to upload Firmware I get an error screen with a message as below :

Started DFU Util
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000:524288 -d 0483:df11 -UC:/Users/John.Johns_PC/Desktop/Taranis Temp/fgtjy.bin
=================================================================================
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
No DFU capable USB device found

=================================================================================
DFU Util done - exit code 1

The Tarais is new and the firmware version is opentx-X9d-V1.1.02 EEprom 215 SVN opentx-r date 2013-10-16.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

John
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

Is your Taranis being connected while powered off?
New9xuser

Post by New9xuser »

Hi,
Thanks for quick response.
Kilrah wrote:Is your Taranis being connected while powered off?

Yes it is OFF! When its powered ON! I can read the SD card and up and down load. When its OFF I get the errors that I posted.

Regards

John
StearmanSam

Post by StearmanSam »

sande005 wrote:After some digging through threads and other documentation, I determined that I needed to also run zadig to allow STM32 to function properly. For those that may have questions on how to upgrade from 1.x versions, I downloaded zadig from http://zadig.akeo.ie/. Plug your TX into the USB, but don't turn it on. Verify that STM32 shows up under devices. Then run Zadig. Under Options, select "All devices". Then in the Driver selectbox, pick STM32, and install.
If you then install Companion 2.0.2, you can flash the firmware with the latest for Taranis. (or you can stay at your earlier version, and all will work). With the later firmware, the bootloader is on the TX, so the Zadig install is no longer needed.
I'm having the same problem. I just received my new Taranis and opened companion9x. It asked if I wanted to install the new version so I did. The eprom data would read the dish but not write. I installed the STE32 as described above and that did not solve the problem? I'm stumped.
New9xuser

Post by New9xuser »

Hi,
I have solved the problem but have no idea what caused it. I reverted to the old Microsoft quick repair tool (Switch off and then on again).

1.I deleted all the STM and and DFU mode drivers using the Windows Device Manager, ticking the box that said remove all files.
2. I uninstalled the present copy of Companion v2.0.5 I then shut down the PC.
3. Restarted the computer.
4. Pluged Taranis switched off, into a USB port. Windows searched and found a driver automatically from the web. It installed this drive.
5. I downloaded and ran the latest version of the Zadig utility (ZADIC_2.1.0), selected STM_BOOTLOADER Under Options, select "All devices". Then in the Driver select box, picked STM32_BOOTLOADER and re flashed the drivers.
6. Reinstalled Companion v2.0.5.
7. Saved and then downloaded firmware using Companion.

Now all is sweetness and light and I can read and flash firmware.
I am not convinced that all the above steps are necessary but they worked for me, so it may work for someone else.

Regards

John
lebenj

Post by lebenj »

hello,

i think i have the same problem.
i'm using open TXcompanion 2.05
a brand new taranis

i can read the file of the radio (models)
i can also upload it the radio, but after i have a eeprom problem (it must be formated) ...

but i can't fin the way to send the last firmware to the radio.
i have this message:

Code: Select all

Démarré DFU Util
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/dfu-util.exe -a 0 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -d 0483:df11  -DC://Open 9x/2014 07 03 - opentx-taranis-haptic-faichoice-fr-2.0.5.bin
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to [email protected]

Filter on vendor = 0x0483 product = 0xdf11
No DFU capable USB device found

DFU Util terminé - code de sortie 1
i tried with TX on, off, but nothing more

if soemone has some tips ...

regards
davx

Post by davx »

Hi,

Just follow the points n° 1, n° 4 (without letting windows install anything) and n° 5 of the post above yours.
More details here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qlh ... ielija3l6b
lebenj

Post by lebenj »

i have still the same problem....
can someone give me more explaination about this point? i did not find anything about that:
1.I deleted all the STM and and DFU mode drivers using the Windows Device Manager, ticking the box that said remove all files.

i also tried a manual installation, but W8 said me the STM32 driver was already good!

regards
davx

Post by davx »

Ok,

Just to figure out how it could be so complicated to install a driver, I've just made all the process on a fresh win 8.1 VM and it went flawlessly... ;)

I've strictly followed the instructions from the link I've posted and no problem !

Would you describe what you're doing exactly ?

On a side note, never trust windows, you have to download and install the correct drivers (http://zadig.akeo.ie/downloads/zadig_2.1.0.exe).

Good luck !
rickDavis

Post by rickDavis »

Similar Issues here...

I have followed the steps shown above and I can flash the 2.0.5 firmware successfully to my Taranis.

However, within my Windows 8.1 session using OpenTX Companion 2.0.5 I cannot 'Read Models and Settings From Radio'.
Taranis Bootloader - 2.0.5 appears to be functioning properly and when I connect the usb cable the transmitter acknowledges the connection with 'USB Connected' on the display. Yet, when I attempt to 'Read Models and Setting From Radio' the dreaded No Radio Found popup appears.

I know this is happening to others and the apparent gyrations that one must go through just to use the software is very frustrating.

I would gladly donate $20 to the cause for a working solution to my problem

Rick Davis
davx

Post by davx »

Hi,

When you connect the radio in bootloader mode to the PC with the USB cable, 2 removable disks should appear (one named "TARANIS") in your file browser.

Then, Companion will recognize the Taranis.

If you don't get these removable disks, that's a windows problem...
rickDavis

Post by rickDavis »

davx,

It was certainly a Windows problem! Started Taranis in bootloader mode (2.0.8), found device in Windows device manager, deleted the driver and unplugged USB cable. Rebooted Windows and started Taranis in bootloader mode then connected USB cable. Windows reinstalled drivers successfully and Taranis and additional drive appeared in Drives with removable storage. Started OpenTX and successfully 'Read Models and Settings from Radio'.

Thanks for the direction. $20 donated!
bertrand35
9x Developer

Post by bertrand35 »

This is strange that Windows doesn't have the driver for a simple massstorage device!
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

If OpenTX used the same Bootloader as erSky9xe uses, I think this problem would not be, maybe ?

I was not able get the USB Zadig driver to install on my Deck Top Win7 64 bit computer for some unknown reason.
I was able to install this USB Zadig driver onto my notebook computer
and then was able to update the OpenTX firmware.
Could there have been used a stander Windows OP USB driver that is already being used
with the USB Mass-Storage devices ?

Bob
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The bootloader in openTx does work exactly the same as the ersky9x one in that regard.

Sent via mobile
Tester22

Post by Tester22 »

Hi all,
Ive just updated to Open TX Companion 2.0.15 from Companion 9x 1.52.
Downloaded fine, and was able to re-flash the firmware on my Taranis without a problem. That is, with the Taranis off, was able to connect and write firmware OK.
The problem begins when I try and save, backup or write models (EEPROM) to the Taranis. I place the Taranis in bootloader mode, connect the USB, the computer (Windows 8.1) recognises, but Open TX doesn't find the Taranis and shows the message to connect in Bootload mode.
Ive checked the drives and the two drives are not present, only the 32 Bootloader in devices. Tried deleting the driver, rebooting and reloading, no joy......
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers all
KJBB

Post by KJBB »

I just thought I might be able to contribute a little on the topic of Companion/Taranis connection problems. I have struggled with a problem on my Desktop PC for weeks. There is no problem -with the same TX- on my Laptop.
I just could not get sight of the two extra "drives" no matter how I connected the Tx to my desktop PC. Everything seemed OK when looked at via Device Manager. FINALLY I stumbled over the fact that the "FrSky Taranis Radio USB Device" entries were present but had been DISABLED for some unknown reason. On re-enabling, everyting was OK.
Something else to look for if you are tearing your hair out as I was.
bob195558

Post by bob195558 »

Years ago had the same problem, would not work on Desk Top, but did work on Lap Top.
Had a opentx tec :ugeek: try to find the problem on Desk Top and was not able to. :(
I fixed it by using firmware, erSky9x on Taranis (http://www.er9x.com/).
No trouble connecting ever now on both Desk and Lap Top . :D

Bob B.
Er9x on 9x radio, with Smartieparts Programmer and TelemetrEZ Board.
ErSky9x on Taranis, Sky9x, 9Xtreme radios.
3D-Printing: (https://openrcforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=129).

Return to “Software”