2.0.1 Ext module failsafe

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
csquared

2.0.1 Ext module failsafe

Post by csquared »

I recently updated my Taranis / Companion to 2.0.1
I have noticed that Failsafe Position is no longer offered for external modules.
What is the thinking behind removing this feature?

Kilrah

Re: 2.0.1 Ext module failsafe

Post by Kilrah »

It's still there, nothing's changed. It's of course only present when setting failsafes from the radio is actually supported by the module, i.e. if the external module is an XJT.
csquared

Post by csquared »

Yes, if the transmitter signal dies the receiver will take over in a predefined failsafe mode (if it is a failsafe type receiver).
I may be misunderstanding something that happened to me with a previous version of the software.
I had a model setup to enable a trainer via a switch. I plugged in the model, turned on the transmitter (without a trainer)
and flipped some switches to ensure my controls were working properly. I inadvertently flipped my trainer switch and the motor
came on. I thought the motor coming on was due to the lack of a trainer and the outputs going to a default 50%.
I was using a FrSky failsafe receiver. When the trainer was enabled (without a trainer connected) the transmitter must
have stopped transmitting and the receiver went into the failsafe 50% default because I had not yet set it up.

Now to the non failsafe receivers. If I enable a trainer, but there is no trainer connected, what does the PPM signal to a module
look like? Do I have to worry about a motor coming on? I thought that the PPM signal might go to 50% on all channels (not
-100 or +100 but 0 which to a motor is 50%).
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

This had nothing to do with failsafe, there was never a loss of control.

When enabling the trainer switch with no trainer connected the trainer inputs were all 0, so centers. Enabling the trainer function took those centers and sent them out.
This is now changed in 2.0, there is a check so that the trainer function can't be enabled if no valid signal is present.

And as said it's not becasue there is no failsafe setting in the radio in certain modes that your system is not failsafe-capable, it's just that you need to set it according to the instructions of the module/receiver you use. It's only possible to set failsafes on the radio if the module is an XJT, but other types have their own means of setting failsafe.
csquared

Post by csquared »

Thanks for the explanation. I now have a much better understanding of this.

jhsa

Post by jhsa »

I thought that trainer feature was already implemented a while ago.. I was wrong. ;) :) Good that I didn't have any model with trainer active :)
My er9x/Ersky9x/eepskye Video Tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5uJhoD7sAKidZmkhMpYpp_qcuIqJXhb9

Donate to Er9x/Ersky9x:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YHX43JR3J7XGW

Return to “Software”