Win8 Can't Find AVRdude

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
G550Ted

Win8 Can't Find AVRdude

Post by G550Ted »

Some higher (most likely lower) power has it in for me with device drivers. :x I'm having to migrate to Win8 and finally got my Taranis and C9x playing, but am stymied getting eePe to work for er9x on a 9x radio.

I downloaded the eePe Windows installer from the google site, executed the install without problem, and verified that the avrdude.exe and avrdude.conf files are in the folder (for the 3rd time, dammit). I connected my 9x radio and tried to read the eeprom and firmware but get only a blank pop-up box. Win8 device manager shows other devices\USBasp but there is no driver installed and I can't get it to install avrdude. I have set Win8 to allow unsigned devices and have set the driver update to look in the eePe folder but it doesn't find avrdude.

I'm out of ideas of where to go from here and any help is appreciated.

Ted
Last edited by G550Ted on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rperkins

Re: Win8 Can't Find AVRdude

Post by rperkins »

I dont have win8 but will try to help

sounds like you have tried this.
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2534
..and I can't get it to install avrdude. I have set Win8 to allow unsigned devices and have set the driver update to look in the eePe folder but it doesn't find avrdude.
The part about not being able to find/install avrdude is confusing. avrdude isnt really installed. The 2 files (avrdude.exe and avrdude.conf ) are copied somewhere on your system during the eepe installation process. Secondly the 'driver update' shouldnt be looking for avrdude. Maybe it should be looking for usbasp drivers ? . At any rate with eepe properly installed , but usbasp drivers NOT installed, I believe the error should be ' can not find device ...blah ..blah ..blah'.
G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

Yes, I have tried the process in the cited post a number of times. :x

Initially, I was getting the "avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc" pop-up. I searched for solutions for that on the 'net but found nothing that I could determine that would cure the problem except trying to install a driver. Along the way of trying to load a USB driver even that error message is gone and the error pop-up box is blank even after re-installing eePe.

I Just now downloaded usbasp-windriver.2011-05-28 from another site and pointed the "load driver" to it but, again, Win8 doesn't find the driver. Windows Explorer never displays the radio as a drive when connected with a known good USB cable although it does trigger the connect and disconnect jingles. Probably since there is no valid driver for the radio. Not sure what to do from here.

Ted
ShowMaster

Post by ShowMaster »

Right clicking on the executable and choosing another comparability mode has worked well with some programs.
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

G550Ted wrote: Initially, I was getting the "avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc" pop-up. I searched for solutions for that on the 'net but found nothing that I could determine that would cure the problem....Probably since there is no valid driver for the radio. Not sure what to do from here.
Ted
That is the correct message for no drivers for the USBASP. Yes there is no driver for the radio.

I wouldnt even have the radio connected till I get the error 'target not found'
http://9xrprogrammer.com/index.php/lear ... leshooting

as far as which drivers. the partially signed win7 drivers and INSTRUCTIONS there seem to work for a lot of people and the filename matches the post that I mentioned in my first reply and you said that you have tried
http://www.protostack.com/blog/2011/05/ ... vista-x64/

The instructions for circumventing the win8 signed driver encforcement and the instructions for installing the partially signed win7 driver from protostack, should be all you need. Well and the advice not to hook the radio up to the usbasp until you get a 'target not found' error.

Sounds like you were on the right track getting the drivers installed but now have something hosed concerning the location of avrdude, hence the 'blank' error .

G550Ted

Post by G550Ted »

SM, sorry, but I don't understand what you mean there.

As an update to my issues I got back to square 1. During my earlier fumbling with the Win8 paradox I had set another path for eePe to look for AVRdude in the Configure menu. That is now corrected and I'm back to getting the "avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc" error in the pop-up box when trying to read the eeprom.

What do you suggest as my next step?

Ted
rperkins

Post by rperkins »

G550Ted wrote:Along the way of trying to load a USB driver even that error message is gone and the error pop-up box is blank even after re-installing eePe.
As an update to my issues I got back to square 1
Ok
I had missed that you got back to square one and thought you were at -1 :)

1. dont connect the TX to the usbasp. follow the guidelines from here concerning when to hook up the TX
http://9xrprogrammer.com/index.php/lear ... leshooting
2 . follow instructions here for circumventing win8 signed driver enforcement
http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2534
3. Print out and follow these instructions for installing the driver, and use the driver they provide
http://www.protostack.com/blog/2011/05/ ... vista-x64/

hopefully this will be clearer
good luck

Return to “Software”