Should I update my transmitter?

Help with any software/desktop related issues. e.g. companion9x, eePe, etc
Koarl

Should I update my transmitter?

Post by Koarl »

Hello guys,

I have a Taranis from the first batch and never did a software update.
The reason was, that I got all my models setup quiet nicely and I was afraid, of setting it up all again, in case the update would affect my setups.
In addition I‘m to lazy to update the receivers, which would be necessary if I recall it correctly. Remembering the last time it did this, it was quiet an afford, because I only have a macbook, and the rxs needed windows to be updated.
I also heard of some troubles with the EU-version, but lost track of the status quo.

So the question is, if I should do an update or just stick with the old software.

Thanks

MikeB
9x Developer

Re: Should I update my transmitter?

Post by MikeB »

If you are running the stock firmware shipped with the radio then I think your models cannot be read by companion for updating so you would need to reprogram them all. I'm not certain, but I think companion, if it does read your models, doesn't update from that far back. You would need to update your models several times through various releases of companion.

Updating the firmware does not update the internal XJT module. This would continue to work with your receivers, and since the Tx was purchased before the EU regulations came in, it is perfectly legel to continue using it as it is.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Thanks for your answer Mike!
So it‘s actually not worth updating, do I get you right?
Currently I only use D-receivers, these work just fine. But how about X-receivers?

Thanks
Koarl

Post by Koarl »

I just found the answer by myself. A new x-receiver wouldn‘t work with my current firmware. I would have to upgrade my module and in this case all my other receivers. Is that correct?
But is it possible to „downgrade“ a x-receiver, to match my transmitter?
I heared there had been some troubles with the newer firmware EU-version, is that still valid?

Thanks
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

I believe the most recent EU firmware works fine, it was only the first version that had some slight problems.
Yes, it is likely you will be able to flash the Rx with international firmware.
'D' receivers work correctly with both EU and international firmware on the module, so don't need flashing.
You should be able to bind the 'X' receiver in 'D' mode in order to use it bfore you try flashing it.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!

Koarl

Post by Koarl »

Thanks Mike!

Return to “Software”