Starting with OpenTX

Alex101

Starting with OpenTX

Post by Alex101 »

Hi all,

Please do not hesitate to redirected me to a different forum if this is nit the right one for an absolute beginner. I have just started my journey with OpenTX (waiting for my Horus radio to arrive) moving from the other brand with more "commercialized / locked down" firmware. While waiting for the radio I have decided to play with OpenTX Companion 2.2 to get ready for OpenTX and have a few questions:

1) After going through the plane wizard (and v2.1 documentation I have printed from this forum) and testing it in the radio simulator of the Companion (the outputs screen), throttle, rudder, ailerons and elevator work as expected, not flaps. I've tried different ways of doing that mix and it looks like there no response to the switches I've tired. I have installed 2.1 and everything worked as expected. Am I missing anything (likely) or this is some feature of 2.2? I can provide screenshots but basically it is just plain out of wizard set up.

2) Simulated Horus - when I launch it - complains about failsafe not set (understandable) and also something about "expected firmware version XYX". No sure if it is related to 1) above. I have pressed "download firmware" and got the .bin file, but I assumed that is for flashing this to the physical radio or am I wrong and I have to load it into the Companion somehow?

3) A more generic question. That was not the reason for me to move from the other brand but now after playing with the software - is the the intent of the OpenTX design to let me set up my model(s) on the PC, test them (less the actual servo movements of course) on the simulator and then upload to the physical radio for the final tuning and test? If it is so, that is a great design and on its own is worth of switching (for me at least). I assume I can somehow send the model from PC to the radio (USB or SD card).

Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Kilrah

Re: Starting with OpenTX

Post by Kilrah »

1) 2.2 is not officially released yet, may still contain bugs, and the wizard is known not to be ready yet.
2) If you read the message it says expected SD card version, not firmware... i.e. you need to download the SD card files as explained on the website page, extract them somewhere and point to this folder in companion settings.
3) Yes that's one intended way of operating next to the "common" way of doing things directly on the radio itself.
Alex101

Post by Alex101 »

1. Thanks a lot for clarification. Based on your suggestion I have done some research, it looks like there is a bug in switches names are getting "shifted" or something. Guess will have to wait for the production version.
2. I see. May I please ask what website pages are you referring to - the "Flashing Open TX..." document available from FrSky website?
3. Thanks that is a great improvement for me. I assume whatever I set up on Companion can be uploaded to the radio.

Thanks a lot again.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The page you downlaoded OpenTX from.

http://www.open-tx.org/2017/01/27/opentx-2.2.0RC10

There may be third party documentation but I haven't been following everything.
Alex101

Post by Alex101 »

Kilrah wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 am The page you downlaoded OpenTX from.

http://www.open-tx.org/2017/01/27/opentx-2.2.0RC10

There may be third party documentation but I haven't been following everything.
Thank you. Got it.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”