Different versions for firmware and bootloader

BenZoFly

Post by BenZoFly »

Hi there,

I am puzzled, upgrade after upgrade, that I upgrade the firmware of my radio with the latest firmware version while the bootloader version stagnates way behind.

I run firmware 2.1.8 while my bootloader runs a 2.0.15 version (from memory, not 100% sure). I tried several ways of pushing the firmware to the radio, having read that some procedures were only updating the radio firmware while some other were also updating the bootloader. I never saw the bootloader updated.

How do I know what is the latest available bootloader version (is it always following the firmware version) and which procedure is the supported one to get the bootloader updated alongside the firmware?

Many thanks in advance.
Regards,
B.

Daedalus66

Post by Daedalus66 »

Boot loaders don't need to be constantly updated.
BenZoFly

Re: Different versions for firmware and bootloader

Post by BenZoFly »

OK that's what I figured out but how do I know if it needs to? It seems to me that I saw some Taranis pictures with a bootloader in the 2.1.x range. Is this possible and how do I check for that? Companion does not show this or I missed the place to read that.
MikeB
9x Developer

Post by MikeB »

As long as the bootloader is working it doesn't need to be updated. Personally, I believe the bootloader version should be separate from the firmware version, that way it is much easier to be aware if there is an update that you should have.

Specifically here, if you are using the bootloader to update the firmware, then the bootloader can't be updated at the same time, it would have to update itself! What you need to do is to copy the firmware file to the "FIRMWARES" directory of the SD card, then with the radio running, use the SD browser to locate the file and when you select it you should get an option to use it to update the bootloader.

Mike.
erskyTx/er9x developer
The difficult we do immediately,
The impossible takes a little longer!
BenZoFly

Post by BenZoFly »

Thanks Mike,

that's a procedure I did not read anywhere else before! I indeed always ended up upgrading the firmware from within the bootloader, either from the SD card or from Companion...

I just tried it and yes indeed, from the SD card browser I got the option to update the bootloader from the firmware file. I then just jumped from bootloader 2.0.15 to 2.1.8 without any visible change or issue.

I would suggest to update documentation of OpenTX related to the bootloader to mention this procedure for a bootloader upgrade, as personally I was never capable to upgrade it since the first bootloader version I ever installed on my radio (That was 2.0.15). I'm quite sure I'm not the only one in that case...

Cheers,
B.

Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

thebriars0

Post by thebriars0 »

BenZoFly wrote: I would suggest to update documentation of OpenTX related to the bootloader to mention this procedure for a bootloader upgrade, as personally I was never capable to upgrade it since the first bootloader version I ever installed on my radio (That was 2.0.15). I'm quite sure I'm not the only one in that case...

Cheers,
B.
I've already added this to the documentation I'm doing. (see Draft Documentation topic in this forum -OpenTX). I anticipate having a final version ready within 2-3 weeks. This will coincide with being able to include the full getting started section.
BenZoFly

Post by BenZoFly »

That's good news for the community!! Thanks for the effort.

Not sure if I can help with this, but I have the feeling that the manual that I produced for my 12CH template may be a sort of complement to your documentation. I published everything in "openTX -> Generic 12CH template" topic. I find people having all the docs related to the Taranis and still struggle with putting everything together for their own model. That's what I tried to do with my template, like the "hands-on" part of the learning curve. I've been using the Taranis since its creation and only now I get the full potential of the firmware, even though all functions were there and documented.
BenZoFly

Post by BenZoFly »

Yes, indeed this is all there and very well explained.

For some reasons, even knowing what I was looking for, I still find it difficult to grasp what is the main way to do things. Like, the SD method of updating the bootloader seems a plan "B" at the end of the doc, while from my perspective, this is by far the easiest way to do a bootloader upgrade. It looks like the normal way is to use Zadig for that, but I don't believe I will ever have to use Zadig again knowing the SD trick. It also doesn't say when to do a bootloader or a main firmware upgrade from the combined firmware file.

These are just details, and when you know it, after it's very easy and straightforward.

Food for thought, as I said earlier, all the documents are very well made, but I find that they miss the "newbee" approach to things, like what is essential to know and do for a beginner, and what is then "advanced" stuff.
Kilrah

Post by Kilrah »

The SD approach was made for those who somehow can't get around installing the drivers with Zadig. It's become the default and recommended way for newbies due to the lower risk for them to mess up and need support, but I guess most people who know what they're doing are using the DFU method given it does everything in one go and is somewhat more reliable.

Return to “openTx for FrSky radios”